How does the game database allow this bloke to exist?

I think that just means he can jump very high for somebody that's 5'3- not necessarily that he can jump as high as tall defenders. He might be able to vertical jump x cms but because he's so short he won't be able to reach as high as a taller player who can also vertically jump x cms.

I think that just means he can jump very high for somebody that's 5'3- not necessarily that he can jump as high as tall defenders. He might be able to vertical jump x cms but because he's so short he won't be able to reach as high as a taller player who can also vertically jump x cms.

You're incorrect.

The Jumping stat is how high a player can get his head off the ground.

So a 6'6 player with a 19 jumping stat can't jump as high as a 5'2 player with 20.

Incorrect. In FM's match engine jumping is simply the height you can reach, which brings me to the randomness of newgen attribute generation and the total superfluousness of player height.

Why is he trying to play football when, as a 5'3" man who can apparently get as high up as the tallest defenders in the game, he could make a fortune in high-jumping?

Even more as after jumping high to reach the ball he's apparently lost of ideas about what to do next :D

Jumping is used it a player leaps off the group to head the ball. Height is used if the player does not jump.

Used for what exactly? Determining which of two players get the ball? If the players do not jump I believe strength, positioning, etc. are used.

Height is cosmetic.

Height is cosmetic.

Apparently it used to be, but not any more, one of the SI people around here pointed it out in another thread (wish I could find the post now).

A 6ft player will win a header against a 5ft player if neither of them is jumping and everything else is (roughly) equal.

Apparently it used to be, but not any more, one of the SI people around here pointed it out in another thread (wish I could find the post now).

A 6ft player will win a header against a 5ft player if neither of them is jumping and everything else is (roughly) equal.

Eh? Jumping has always been the only attribute you need to look at (otherwise in order to find the most aerially dominant players, you need to look at two attributes - and can you even search by height now?) - and that is how the database is done, with:

Jumping attribute = Height + Real-life jumping ability

Ah, seems like I'm a little out of touch as well :(

Don't quite understand what It decides the threshold at which a player treats a ball as "in the air". implies though. Someone care to explain? Surely if the ball is not on the ground it is in the air.

Don't quite understand what It decides the threshold at which a player treats a ball as "in the air". implies though. Someone care to explain? Surely if the ball is not on the ground it is in the air.

I'm guessing it has to do with when the player will decide to jump. A 6ft player won't have to jump if the ball is 5ft9 in the air, but smaller players will have to.

I think I might have a clue.

Player A is 160 cm and player B is 180 cm. Both have 10 jumping which let's take to be 180 cm.

Ball arrives at 180 cm. Player A jumps but player B does not.

However both players A and B still have maximum reach of 180 cm. If ball arrives at 181 cm neither can reach it.

Is that right?

Player A is 160 cm and player B is 180 cm. Both have 10 jumping which let's take to be 180 cm.

However both players A and B still have maximum reach of 180 cm. If ball arrives at 181 cm neither can reach it.

Is that right?

I'd say that would be it. It's a bit of a weird example though, with player B not being able to jump and all :D

I'm guessing it has to do with when the player will decide to jump. A 6ft player won't have to jump if the ball is 5ft9 in the air, but smaller players will have to.

Cheers, I still think it is superfluous though :(

All it influences is the graphical representation of a player jumping in 3D.

Cheers, I still think it is superfluous though :(

All it influences is the graphical representation of a player jumping in 3D.

No, what it decides is whether or not a player will have to jump to reach the ball or can control it without having to jump (which, in turn, will deliver a different animation).

I'd say that would be it. It's a bit of a weird example though, with player B not being able to jump and all :D

Admittedly, yes, but I have a feeling the match engine must feel the same way about Crouch! Player in o/p is 161 cm with 19 jumping. Crouch is 200 cm with 18 jumping.

Either that or newgen attribute generation is being ridiculous.

Admittedly, yes, but I have a feeling the match engine must feel the same way about Crouch! Player in o/p is 161 cm with 19 jumping. Crouch is 200 cm with 18 jumping.

Either that or newgen attribute generation is being ridiculous.

Some people are just able to jump really high :D And there's a big chance it's just this one player. If all 161cm players had 19 for jumping something would be wrong

I have to say though that a good jumper is a great weapon at corners. Stick your best jumper on 'attack far post'.

No, what it decides is whether or not a player will have to jump to reach the ball or can control it without having to jump (which, in turn, will deliver a different animation).

Sorry for sounding confusing but that is essentially what I mean.

The only thing height apparently does is decide if animation A (player jumping to head the ball) or animation B (player heading the ball without jumping) should be used, which is superfluous in my books, when it should instead be used for things like newgen attribute generation.

jumping is supposed to height into account though. so essentially with jumping of 19 this man should be able to jump to the same height that peter crouch gets to when he jumps. the difference being that crouch jumps less.

jumping is supposed to height into account though. so essentially with jumping of 19 this man should be able to jump to the same height that peter crouch gets to when he jumps. the difference being that crouch jumps less.

Which is absolutely insane. Considering that Crouch has a 40 cm height advantage. And Crouch's jumping is only 18 btw.

Imagine Giovinco jumping higher than Crouch. This guy's shorter than Giovinco.

Is that right?

This has been my understanding of it since FM09.

Which is absolutely insane. Considering that Crouch has a 40 cm height advantage. And Crouch's jumping is only 18 btw.

Imagine Giovinco jumping higher than Crouch. This guy's shorter than Giovinco.

i agree. it really is something that needs to be developed.

Sorry for sounding confusing but that is essentially what I mean.

The only thing height apparently does is decide if animation A (player jumping to head the ball) or animation B (player heading the ball without jumping) should be used, which is superfluous in my books, when it should instead be used for things like newgen attribute generation.

I took it to mean that (aside from teh animation) that a player who isn't heading the ball will makea different decision what to do when the ball comes to them.

Because they aren't heading it, they are passing it so you end up with a different outcome so height is used as part of the decision making in the ME.

Of course, a bit more indepth official confirmation would put all this to rest :)

I've been wondering exactly how this works myself.

I have a defender who is a the proverbial brick poop house - 6'6". He wins pretty much "everything in the air" (per my ass man) in just about every game I play him in. His jumping and heading stats are lower than more than one of my other CBs, but he consistently seems to get better results in the air than those with theoretically better stats than him. The fans absolutely love him.

Not only that, but the guy is an absolute TERROR on offensive corners - he even scored a hat-trick a few games ago for me, all from corners. It's the first time I've ever had a defender net a hat trick for me. If height really doesn't make much of a difference, I can't understand how this player continues to dominate.

I've been wondering exactly how this works myself.

I have a defender who is a the proverbial brick poop house - 6'6". He wins pretty much "everything in the air" (per my ass man) in just about every game I play him in. His jumping and heading stats are lower than more than one of my other CBs, but he consistently seems to get better results in the air than those with theoretically better stats than him. The fans absolutely love him.

Not only that, but the guy is an absolute TERROR on offensive corners - he even scored a hat-trick a few games ago for me, all from corners. It's the first time I've ever had a defender net a hat trick for me. If height really doesn't make much of a difference, I can't understand how this player continues to dominate.

Things like anticipation, strength, positioning etc. all play a part.

If it hasn't changed since I last posted this then Heading and Jumping are linked like the following at a basic dumbed down level:

The height of the ball determines how important height is to winning a header - if the ball is at your players height so he can head the ball without jumping, then his jumping attribute wont apply, in this case if you have two players identical apart from height the taller player who doesn't need to jump would more often than not win the header (assuming that the smaller player doesn't jump higher than the tall players height).

If the ball is higher up in the air so that both players need to jump, then jumping is more important than height - jumping is how high their head reaches, not how far off the ground their feet are. Height here will still have some affect just less of an effect - assuming the players are equal bar height and reach the same height comfortably for the ball, the taller guy has a slight advantage that with a small jump they are more likely to be more stable on landing - so the small guy who can leap may win the header, but if he lands in a heap the tall guy will more than likely retrieve the ball.

In addition countless other attributes will apply during a match that will determine who wins the ball - Strength, Bravery, Determination, Positioning/Off The Ball, Anticipation etc... Also a small player who has a great leap would need to time it a lot better than a Tall player who just needs to stand on his tiptoes to reach the ball.

This has been my understanding of it since FM09.

Is that right?

Surely that would mean that if PLayer B had less than 10 for jumping (i.e. less than 180 cm in this example) then when jumping he'd end up at a height of less than 180cm. He'd be better off standing still!

Surely that would mean that if PLayer B had less than 10 for jumping (i.e. less than 180 cm in this example) then when jumping he'd end up at a height of less than 180cm. He'd be better off standing still!
The "which let's take to be 180 cm" is certainly a badly picked example number, should be higher. :)

Sorry I didn't really bother to pick realistic values, just wanted to find out if my interpretation of what Paul said was correct.

If it makes you happier, change 180 to something else :)

Archived