15/16 year olds: Stupid fees and wages

Finay starting to see some good regens... only problem is, the game seems to be treating them as first team players. Commanding fees of +10mil and the players themselves are demanding wages of +30k.

I mean come on. £15mil for a 15 year old DC who wants wages of £36k p/w

Is this common among other peoples saves, or just mine??

Think about it, if a kid is 15 years old, why would he move all the way across the country or even to a new nation to join your youth academy? That could be a good reason they are demanding higher wages.

Think about it, if a kid is 15 years old, why would he move all the way across the country or even to a new nation to join your youth academy? That could be a good reason they are demanding higher wages.

Exactly.

I wouldn't sell my excellent prospects for any less than 10M, and maybe not even then. And fair play to the kid for demanding big wages to build up a new life elsewhere.

yeah but in the contract offer, he expect to be in the first team every week or a key player. surely they know this aint gonna happen

The youngsters I've been signing aren't demanding that.

WHat team are you and what team are the young'uns in?

It does get a bit silly.

15-16 yo really shouldn't be going for more than 0-5 million. In game they can go for anything between 5-20. Clubs in the CCC and what not don't ask for huge money when it comes to their youngsters. They usually do give them up when the EPL club comes in with a 2-5 million offer (usually for a very very talented youngster)

And them demanding silly wages is also pretty silly. Clubs usually bring their family members over (in necessary). They provide housing and what not so they should really be saying No or request modest wages.

see: gareth bale and his 10mil transfer to tottenham.... it does happen ...

and rooney's transfer of course

I think you'll find that, that's very different.

They could play at EPL level at the time of their transfer. Youngster that can barely get into a league 1 club cost anywhere between 5-20.

well then you are the idiot for giving into their demands really - you dont have to pay what you don't want to - its all negotiation and i wont let a played have more than i feel he deserves - i simply switch targets or refuse the new contract

Oh come guys. I can't believe you are justifying a 10m fee for a 15 year old. There have been no transfers in real life for that sum of money involving a player of that age.

Rooney at the time of his transfer was 17 (i think) and a full international having just starred in Euro 2004. Not a 15 year old looking to break into the first team.

see: gareth bale and his 10mil transfer to tottenham.... it does happen ...

and rooney's transfer of course

Yeah but Rooney was a special talent. He his potential was starring you in the face. He was brilliant; even at the age of 16.

Remember the debut goal against ARSEnal (Ha ha!)!

well then you are the idiot for giving into their demands really - you dont have to pay what you don't want to - its all negotiation and i wont let a played have more than i feel he deserves - i simply switch targets or refuse the new contract

That's not the point.

They shouldn't be demanding this much.

Sort of ruins the whole idea of buying talented youngster for pennies (relatively speaking) so you don't have to spend 10-20 million for a developed player.

It's because you're playing as Havant & W and although you've somehow managed to get into the EPL, your reputation (unless edited) is still low and they still see you as a risky club to join.

Are you emplying that I've cheated to get H&W into the Premiership? (Not true)

Rep is at 8000 now i've win the Prem. (Unedited)

If the youth player is demanding high wages and a first team place, it's likely that although he's shown an interest in moving, he's not all for the move.

It could be down to a number of factors; his mental state, he could be a very loyal player, or simply because he's moving sideways or down in terms of club.

Try again at the end of the season and see how he feels about the move then.

If the youth player is demanding high wages and a first team place, it's likely that although he's shown an interest in moving, he's not all for the move.

Didnt think of it like that.

It could be down to a number of factors; his mental state, he could be a very loyal player, or simply because he's moving sideways or down in terms of club.

These are newly created 'gens. Loyal I can uderstand; but this early in their carrer?

Yes, that's a crazy wage and fee for a 15-16 year old in game or in real life. However, in real life some crazy team or kid might have asked for that kind of amount. We'll never know. Up to today no manager is willing to pay 10+ M and 30+ k a week for 15-16 years old kids.

So in game, you are the manager and you encounter this crazy club and kid. It's your call. If you accept it, dont call it unrealistic, it's your doings. If it's AI managers that accept that kind of demand, it'll look unrealistic.

so this is just a standard 'obvious flaw in the game and idiots trying to defend it' thread.

And that's just another cheeky comment that doesn't help anything but your claim to wit...

To the OP, try adding a new manager to your game and taking over a big club in the Premiership. Now try buying one of these young players. I'd recommend also trying to make it a club that is geographically close and larger in stature/reputation, but not a rival club. Are the wages they're wanting the same?

It'd also help if he doesn't favor his current club or manager.

this is not true at all. think of real life and do you have examples of lower league young players moving for either substantial fees or substantial wages? no because it just doesnt happen. rooney was a special case and had just played for england at a european tournement and bale had laready appeared for wales before his move to spurs. they dont equate at all.

on a similar note to the first poster i too have seen this when i have appraoched young players who werent ready for third tier football and they were expecting the same wages and squad status as a key player for my team. it really does need looked at.

And that's just another cheeky comment that doesn't help anything but your claim to wit...

To the OP, try adding a new manager to your game and taking over a big club in the Premiership. Now try buying one of these young players. I'd recommend also trying to make it a club that is geographically close and larger in stature/reputation, but not a rival club. Are the wages they're wanting the same?

It'd also help if he doesn't favor his current club or manager.

I would, but I dont want to alter anything in my game.

--

Grateful for all the comments lads. But has anyone else seen this in their saves? Is it a common theme?

yeah but in the contract offer, he expect to be in the first team every week or a key player. surely they know this aint gonna happen

Why move to another club to play youth or reserve games or only a handful of first team games when they can do that at the club they are at. If they can't get first team games then they can just go on loan until they're good enough. They probably don't want to leave unless they will get to play a lot.

--

Grateful for all the comments lads. But has anyone else seen this in their saves? Is it a common theme?

Just don't save it, is what I mean.

And I have seen something similar but not as extravagant as what you're seeing. I always assumed it was because the clubs I tend to end up managing are a bit smaller in stature.

Also, if your club has a ton of money in the bank, players do ask for higher wages, whereas if another club approaches them they'll ask for lower wages. Like if Notts Co and Dag & Red approached the same player, the player would obviously expect Notts Co to pay more.

Why move to another club to play youth or reserve games or only a handful of first team games when they can do that at the club they are at. If they can't get first team games then they can just go on loan until they're good enough. They probably don't want to leave unless they will get to play a lot.

Because they are at clubs in the same league as I am (Premier League). So they know they wont get first team action as they are listed as 'a decent young player' / 'hot prospect' at their respective clubs.

--

Don't worry, you're not alone.

I took Genoa quite far in 2016, signed a few kids as soon as they were "created" by the game at their clubs. Most came for £2-3k per week with Hot Prospect or Backup requested, but 1 or 2 players wanted Key Player status and at least £20k per week.

I just put it down to the fact that although they were interested in moving to me, they weren't exactly keen on it unless i offered them extortionate amounts of money.

Their wage amount and squad status requests often reflects their willingness to leave their current club. If they're asking too much, they probably don't fancy a move, but are interested to see what you're offering.

Because they are at clubs in the same league as I am (Premier League). So they know they wont get first team action as they are listed as 'a decent young player' / 'hot prospect' at their respective clubs.

Exactly so why move when you're not going to get first team games at the club you're going to, they'd probably prefer to play youth and reserve games for their current club.

Don't worry, you're not alone.

I took Genoa quite far in 2016, signed a few kids as soon as they were "created" by the game at their clubs. Most came for £2-3k per week with Hot Prospect or Backup requested, but 1 or 2 players wanted Key Player status and at least £20k per week.

I just put it down to the fact that although they were interested in moving to me, they weren't exactly keen on it unless i offered them extortionate amounts of money.

Their wage amount and squad status requests often reflects their willingness to leave their current club. If they're asking too much, they probably don't fancy a move, but are interested to see what you're offering.

Exactly so why move when you're not going to get first team games at the club you're going to, they'd probably prefer to play youth and reserve games for their current club.

Good feedbak here... hmmm...

I did think about this. The only reservation I had was that it was just a 'glitch' in the game and not just down player ambition / realisation they will be a good asset. But to demand those wages straight off is a little too ambitios don't you think?

Signed a 15 year old at the start of my off season (about 4 months ago) who was decent and could become a leading star, but had to fork over millions (cant remember the exact figure, but wouldnt be suprised it was 20mil).

He is the best regen striker I have seen, but to fork over that amount of cash on an unproven player is too much.

Basically, if youre team is a "selling team", you have no hope, since you will never get significant profit if you have to fork this sort of cash out on any player that is potential first team material in 10 years time

If you buy them for 15 millions perhaps they expect their squad status to be a bit more than decent youngster?

If you buy them for 15 millions perhaps they expect their squad status to be a bit more than decent youngster?

Doubt it. Managed to pick up a wonderkid full back aged 17 a few seasons ago for 15mil. Wages of about 5k and hot prospect status.

Signed a 15 year old at the start of my off season (about 4 months ago) who was decent and could become a leading star, but had to fork over millions (cant remember the exact figure, but wouldnt be suprised it was 20mil).

He is the best regen striker I have seen, but to fork over that amount of cash on an unproven player is too much.

Basically, if youre team is a "selling team", you have no hope, since you will never get significant profit if you have to fork this sort of cash out on any player that is potential first team material in 10 years time

Exactly what I'm trying to say.

15 yo kids should be sold for a lot less.

Ramsey (everyone wanted him) was going to be sold to Liverpool for something around 2m + clauses before Arsenal and United came in with 5 million.

Only player I can think of that was sold for more at that age is Walcott, who moved for 2 up front to rise to 16 based on appearences.

I really think that players shouldn't go for more than 5 unless they're already EPL/CCC material.

Oh come guys. I can't believe you are justifying a 10m fee for a 15 year old. There have been no transfers in real life for that sum of money involving a player of that age.

But that's exactly the point. They're not justifying the £10 million fee as an objectively fair valuation for the player. I would in fact agree that it is an excessive fee - but by the same token, it would therefore take a highly irrational manager to match that price. If you are being rational and realistic and think that the AI manager is overvaluing the player, you should move on to a more affordable target.

The precise reason why you as an observer don't see those transfers in real life is because managers seeking to buy a player are at least partly rational (and risk-averse) when making decisions. They just aren't going to agree to pay that fee. So of course the transfer doesn't get made. To put it simply:

• If a real-life manager demands £10 million for a teenager, the interested club will usually get the message and move on, or they might try to do things to destabilise the teenager.
  • If, in the game, you want to buy a teenager and the AI manager demands £10 million, you (as a rational manager) will usually get the message and move on, or you might try to do things to destabilise the teenager.

I don't see a problem of realism there.

Didnt think of it like that.

These are newly created 'gens. Loyal I can uderstand; but this early in their carrer?

While you see the newgens at 15 years old, these are still teens who've been in the youth system of that club since age 9 or later. That's one possibility of not wanting to go to a new country. Others include being unwilling to learn a new language or adapt to a new culture when perhaps they haven't learned enough to guarantee success in a tougher environment.

Good feedbak here... hmmm...

I did think about this. The only reservation I had was that it was just a 'glitch' in the game and not just down player ambition / realisation they will be a good asset. But to demand those wages straight off is a little too ambitios don't you think?

Yeah i guess you're right looking at it like that but i see it more as they would rather stay where they are and it would take a massive contract to lure them away. Just like when clubs ask for ridiculously high transfer fees because its more a figure set to scare you off rather than to be taken seriously.

I'm with the OP on this one!

Some of the points people have given against his argument:

why would he move all the way across the country or even to a new nation to join your youth academy? because he may be going to a better league? Why did Fabregas/Merida leave Barcelona for Arsenal? Bet they didn't get £36k a week!

gareth bale and his 10mil transfer to tottenham.... it does happen ...

and rooney's transfer of course Rooney was already playing for Everton and even in the England set-up when he moved for £30m, Bale was also playing well for So'ton and banging in free-kicks for fun and in the wales fold. Plus both these players were NOT 15 at the time!

he could be a very loyal player then he probably wouldn't move or consider any money at all.

It seems a tad ridiculous. Nobody at 15 warrants a fee like £15M... and anyway the fee is less important.. its the fact the player then wants £35K a week! As soemone said players will bring family over, for instance Macheda for united... It should be more possible to snap players up, but there needs to be better judgement from players on where they move. And not just youngsters... it would also help solve issues where a team buys another 2 strikers when they already have 5 at the club. The player should realise where he's most likely to get games! But we also need to be informed of these decisions.

Like in the contract acceptance... "Bladebla has signed for Chelsea, he rejected offers from Liverpool because he felt there was less competition for places in his preffered position." "Oompapa has decided to leave Barcelona for Arsenal as he feels he will develop more under Arsene Wenger."

I've had the wages problem at AC Milan. The fees involved are usually fair enough - anything up to £5m max. But I've had numerous players at 15 or 16 demanding £65k a week and Key Player status. If they're not really interested then they should say so, like a lot of other players do. If they do want to move then I wouldn't expect to be paying them more than about £10-15k a week maximum, and more likely around £5k a week.

If it's not a true bug then it's a feature that needs to be looked at, I think.

I don't think some contributors have taken onboard what i've said. The players requested wage and status often reflects their willingness to move.

This manifests itself as high wages and an important squad status if they'd rather stay where they are, but are interested to see what you'll give them.

Think of it as the player being a little cheeky and testing the water and seeing if you'll give in to his demands.

I've had the wages problem at AC Milan. The fees involved are usually fair enough - anything up to £5m max. But I've had numerous players at 15 or 16 demanding £65k a week and Key Player status. If they're not really interested then they should say so, like a lot of other players do. If they do want to move then I wouldn't expect to be paying them more than about £10-15k a week maximum, and more likely around £5k a week.

If it's not a true bug then it's a feature that needs to be looked at, I think.

I agree that it could do with looking at it, but it's not simply black and white.

Yes i will move to you, no i wont move to you. What about the ones in the grey area, who would move if you offered them a fairly high wage and important squad status? The OP has come across this grey area when he's tried to sign some youngsters who aren't so keen on the move.

I haven't read every post, so apologies if this has been brought up:

The 15/16 year olds don't get these contracts until they turn 18. When they arrive they'll be paid £60 per week or whatever, but when they turn 18 they'll get the £30k per week they are requesting!

Which in my opinion is fair, since top talent at age 18 should be playing first team football.

• Administrators

As always with issues like these, if you have a specific example with certain players then please upload it to the FTP, letting us know and we'll take a look.

To be fair, in previous versions of FM it was far too easy to stockpile amazing youth so the game became far too easy - personally I prefer the way it's much harder to poach amazing youth players from other clubs.

Its all Regens who are class , Think about it do you want to tell me in 10 Years they wont be 15 Year Olds who will be worth 10m+ lol

Seriously just check Youtube ,

And it is real because some regens at 16 are good in the game , regens tend to ask for more money and first team for lower league clubs but i am Newcastle and ive paid over the odds but the regens become class you just have to pick the right one ..

Messi was young when he came to the scene , Look at Ronaldo , 12.25m at 17 , Walcott at Arsenal .. its just part of football you will see younger wonderkids as life goes on trust me ,,

I know it could just be the regen "testing the waters" but a much better solution would simply be to have them "not interested". I can still offer them a contract and see if they take it, and maybe even get into a contract negotiation with them if my initial offer is tempting, but I don't see how a player who's not particularly interested in joining another club would make such a ludicrous wage request.

I understand the dynamics of a player being unsure about moving, but to put this in context, I have 15 year-olds who want a better squad status and more money than Flamini, Ambrosini or Gatusso.

Archived