My thoughts on the game so far

Ok so at the moment I'm playing the demo version as my full copy isnt due to arrive untill tomorow. I have to admit before I get into anything that this is a big step for me. having played chamionship manager and nearly putting my foot through the screen in frustration, I swore I would never pick up another managment game again. The big problem for me was in the past you seemed to need a degree in rocket science to win, it got ridiculous in the end and I found it very unforgiving. As soon as I had ordered the copy I was filled with dread " oh no" I thought "what have I done"? But then I discovered the demo, I decided to give it a shot.... pack of smokes on standby. I decided to play as Mansfield and work my way up. I love a challenge and knew if i played as liverpool I would most probably get my backside handed to me.

As I am playing the Vanilla demo version I dont think that gives me a lot of room to moan or gripe since its the unpatched version. But I noticed some nice touches about the game like players knocking the ball out of touch so treatment can be recieved. Im really enjoying my game so far and yes, frustration has crept in when youve had the opposition on the ropes for 70 mins only for them to hit you on the counter and score. but I guess thats football.

My major concern, and it doesnt look like its been addressed from what I've been reading on the forums is the amount of offsides in a game. Naturally conference football isnt going to be that attractive, but it seems a little high for any game. They also seem to lump the ball forward a lot even though I tell them to pass it along the ground. I somehow feel there should be a button in red called " your not fking ronaldo"! Again though, this may be due to the demo im sure someone will correct me on this. Im no footballing genius by any means and while I have a fair understanding of the game, the tactics dont seem to be heeded by my players im wondering if this is in the full version of the game or wether im missing something. I have to say once again despite all the bugs it does seem far more forgiving than previous or indeed other titles. Its also nice to see the opposition making errors, in previous titles i had played it would feel like playing against barcelona every game.

The touchline shouts seem to have little to no effect either. Ive seen some users on here say they dont use them and im beginning to see why. but I guess we shall have to wait and see. Other than that I think this is the best one ive played so far, maybe my opinion will change three months down the line and I'll be calling them all the names under the sun but I hope not. Maybe games companies can learn new tricks.

The touchline shouts can have a huge effect depending on what ones you use and when. I consistently use two "retain possession" and "work ball into the box" to reinforce the style of play I want. If I am getting a lot of yellows "stay on feet" works well, and if my players are tired and needed in a few days "take a breather" for the last 20 minutes is handy (if I'm in control of course).

I don't find offsides to be much of a problem (except the linesmen are better at spotting them than in real life). I usually get about 10-15 a game, which from my experience is about right.

Lumping the ball forward seems to be a big part of the English game in real life, which frustrated the hell out of me when watching Ireland in the qualifiers ("No don't hit it 80 yards up to Buffon, Duff is five yards in front of you in acres of space. AAAARGH!!!! Another beer"). Please note that conference players skills are going to be a lot lower than top players, so you should be seeing a lot more big aimless hoofs up the field to the linesman.

Better mental stats will mean a better ability to follow the tactics too. I read in a previous forum that at BS & L2 levels the best options is to set all the sliders to normal and the formation to a basic one so that the players will not hurt their heads thinking.

About the game being forgiving, the general consensus (here anyway) is that if you want a game with a win every time option you'd be better off buying Fifa or CM.

P.S. you know the demo only lasts for six months (game time), so the get the Stags up the ladder you'll have to wait for the full game.

The touchline shouts can have a huge effect depending on what ones you use and when. I consistently use two "retain possession" and "work ball into the box" to reinforce the style of play I want. If I am getting a lot of yellows "stay on feet" works well, and if my players are tired and needed in a few days "take a breather" for the last 20 minutes is handy (if I'm in control of course).

I don't find offsides to be much of a problem (except the linesmen are better at spotting them than in real life). I usually get about 10-15 a game, which from my experience is about right.

Lumping the ball forward seems to be a big part of the English game in real life, which frustrated the hell out of me when watching Ireland in the qualifiers ("No don't hit it 80 yards up to Buffon, Duff is five yards in front of you in acres of space. AAAARGH!!!! Another beer"). Please note that conference players skills are going to be a lot lower than top players, so you should be seeing a lot more big aimless hoofs up the field to the linesman.

Better mental stats will mean a better ability to follow the tactics too. I read in a previous forum that at BS & L2 levels the best options is to set all the sliders to normal and the formation to a basic one so that the players will not hurt their heads thinking.

About the game being forgiving, the general consensus (here anyway) is that if you want a game with a win every time option you'd be better off buying Fifa or CM.

P.S. you know the demo only lasts for six months (game time), so the get the Stags up the ladder you'll have to wait for the full game.

Hmm that seems to make sense. I haven't fully explored the game this was merley a tester and thankfully my monitor didnt end up outside in the bin. Like I said its quite an enjoyable game, the odd frustrating moment but its winnable which didnt appear to be possible in older versions. maybe my tactical brain has been awakened with age. who knows. well the full whack comes tomorow so I shall see how it goes.

What teams do you normally play? as as I am trying to avoid a premiership team.

Jimbo the first thing I'd do is use one of the bigger teams just to get used to the way the Tactic's creator etc work. Although I know you're trying with the Stags.

At the minute I'm playing as Boston Utd in the Blue Square Premier. If you ever want a really hard challenge head over to Challenges, Sign Up's and Experiments and try one of the Small club to big club challenges.

One last thing, Welcome to the Forums.

Archived