How To Develop Youth Players?

Sadly, this isn't a guide I can write!!!

Just asking for help really. On FM10, I've struggled getting the bright young prospects to develop as well as I'd hope.

So I just need a few pointers. Do you train them on very heavy workloads? Do you play them regularly in the first team from a young age? Loan them out? Something else?

Cheers :)

1) Try and get the board to make your facilites (training, youth) the best possible.

2) Hire good youth coaches.

3) Training = medium! Young players get tired easier.

4) Give them a year or so in the under 18's or reserves if they are good enough.

5) After that, loan them for a year. Only loan them to teams in active leagues and to teams who will play them. It would be nice if they had good training facilities aswell.

6) First team football every so often.

I find with the best prospects it is best to bang them in there straight away and play them around your top players for 10-15 games for a couple of seasons.

You will soon see them as continental wonderkids......

I find with the best prospects it is best to bang them in there straight away and play them around your top players for 10-15 games for a couple of seasons.

You will soon see them as continental wonderkids......

i agree with this. if they are good enough play them early and you will be rewarded.

Sadly, this isn't a guide I can write!!!

Just asking for help really. On FM10, I've struggled getting the bright young prospects to develop as well as I'd hope.

So I just need a few pointers. Do you train them on very heavy workloads? Do you play them regularly in the first team from a young age? Loan them out? Something else?

Cheers :)

If you don't fancy reading this wall of text on the issue then perhaps I can give some short pointers.

1: Players gain CA by playing matches.

2: A clubs reputation is a large factor in how much CA will be gained by a player playing for that club.

3: The final quantity of CA gained is most greatly modified by a players Professionalism attribute.

4: Certain key attributes do not change with CA but can only be modified by mentoring and certain ingame events. Determination is one.

5: Certain mental attributes that do change with CA have by far the biggest impact on a youngsters performance, attributes like Anticipation, Composure, Decisions.

6: Physical attributes start off easy to raise and become progressively harder with age untill they reach a level of unstoppable decline.

7: Mental attributes start off difficult to raise and become progressively easier to raise with age.

A good way to develop players is to find players that have relatively good mental attributes for their age, mentor them intensively while they are at your club, play them regularly in the youth team and reserves, train them heavilly in the physical side of the game, and then loan them out as soon as you can to a club that will play them in the first team but have the highest reputation you can find. This should give you, in theory, a year of mentoring and youth/reserve games at your club followed by a year of 1st team football out on loan at another club.

Once they return to your club from loan, mentor them again with a better player this time and play them in reserve matches with as much first team action as you can provide. The player should be around 18 or 19 now and should be ready to try and break into your 1st team squad. If at the end of the season they have not developed well for whatever reason, send them out on loan again to as high a reputation club as you can find that will play them as a first team regular. If at the end of the season they have broken into your 1st team squad then great, just keep mentoring them untill they have the ideal temperament and Bob's your uncle.

If by the age of 21-ish or after 2 good loan spells and 2 opportunities to break into your 1st team squad they have not improved or not done anything at all to make you think they will develop into a useful player soon, sell them and make room for someone else to try. Circumstances will vary and sometimes players like Centrebacks or Goalkeepers for example, or even high quality youngsters in other positions where you have abundant quality, may require a longer term approach and more patience and more loan spells. If someone is really top top quality then take him straight into your first team and just play him often. Beckham was on loan when he was 20, Ryan Giggs went straight into the first team at 17.

Archived