PPM: Shoots with Power vs. Places Shots

Shoot with power = powerfull but much less aim. Place shot = aimed but much less power.

In fm09 i always regret asking my striker to shoot with power. Striker with high finishing, composure, technique still likes ramming it to the keeper or the bar/post and sky often.

I love it when my MCs shoots with power, bangs in good amount of long shots. Even so, MCs with high technique (and flair?), shoots a powerful/fast curling ball from range that rips the net open too (and i love it even more).

Placed shot seems to be the PPM for striker and say no to shot with power for striker.

Honestly I'd leave it as it is.

I regret asking my 2 strikers to place shots. They have all the right stats , but now they simply choose to place it when they should blast it.

Before I asked them they mixed it up, most of the time choosing the right shot in the right situation.

Which type of player would be better for each of these options? Does anyone know which attributes go well with each of these PPMs? Backroom advice is always asking for strikers to shoot with power but I have no idea why.

Players with low finishing should shoot with power and players with high finishing should place shots. That doesnt mean players with that PPM will always utilise that PPM. My striker with 19 finishing, 19 composure and 20 decision still shoots with power when needed. Actually, most of his shots have been whipped into the goal for some reason or another.

I had a player in a previous save who wasn't much good at anything at all, but when he started shooting with power he scored bucket loads.

There's no easy answer as has been said because it depends on a whole bunch of other stats, but if you get the right one for the right player you can boost a player into a whole new dimension.

I had a player in a previous save who wasn't much good at anything at all, but when he started shooting with power he scored bucket loads.

There's no easy answer as has been said because it depends on a whole bunch of other stats, but if you get the right one for the right player you can boost a player into a whole new dimension.

shots with power are needed for almost everything.. you wont score penalties if your kicker cant shoot with power.. placed shots currently hardly exist in game..

in the end player can learn both of them.. and with some luck he will start combining it. and become closer to what real strikes are all about

shots with power are needed for almost everything.. you wont score penalties if your kicker cant shoot with power.. placed shots currently hardly exist in game..

in the end player can learn both of them.. and with some luck he will start combining it. and become closer to what real strikes are all about

Nah, you're missing the point mate.

If what you said was true then every decent striker would have shoots with power which is not the case. It is a specific ability which fundamentally changes a player who has it.

• 4 years later...

Thought it would be worth rekindling this debate as it's one which I have never been able to resolve in my own head. I have seen it mentioned that places shots is best for those players that will be shooting predominantly from wide positions and shoots with power is best for more central areas. I'm not sure I agree though. The GK has the advantage against a shot from a narrow angle and I would have thought that maybe shooting with power would be more apt in these situations. In central positions where the attacker has a lot more of the goal to aim for I'd have though placing the shot would be more appropriate. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

That sounds reasonable to me.

Also, in terms of attributes, your typical poacher with good balance, agility, pace, composure, technique and finishing would not benefit from shoots with power, espically if he is playing on the shoulder of the last man and coming central or cutting inside towards the center.

However, a deep lying striker with good strength and balance, but perhaps lacking in technique and mental ability would definitely benefit from it.

The PPM is also very useful for a CM with good strength, balance and long shot. Might as well add flair into that. I have a CM on support duty with this PPM who's regularly scored around 15 goals each season (no other player scores much for me in this role). I have him set to lurk outside area, and most of his goals comes from powerful shots after corners and free kicks. He also racks up quite a few assists this way, as the shots often bounces off other players.

Places shots is one that I don't really like. The poacher should benefit from this, but I find it often leaves him missing chances after chance. And either way, if he makes good decisions then he is well equipped himself to chose whether a placed shot, a lob, a power shot or rounding the keeper is the best option.

I have done a fair bit of experimenting with striker ppm's, (although not much with hits with power), and I think that "places shots" is not as effective as it once was. (Certainly not as effective as it was in FM09).

Having said that, if you link it with other ppm's such as "likes to round GK", & "tries 1st time shots", then with the right attributes then it seems to work very effectively.

Players seem to hit too many early shots and we seem unable to reduce that as much as we would like, so trying to take advantage of that and taking them even earlier, (via "tries 1st time shots"), seems very effective. If you twin this with "places shots" then it seems the quality of these very early instinctive hits is better.

Contrastingly, to benefit from the ppm, "likes to round GK", also seems to benefit from "places shots" despite it being at the other end of the scale. I seem to have found a way of taking advantage of shots at each end of the scale and thus reducing the "middling" early shots that can be so frustrating.

I know that this is not all about ppm's and that both player/team instruction and also player attributes have a big influence, but I seem to have something that works well.

I know others have found great benefit from "shoots with power" and I am still working on this, but i would say this is of more benefit to less technical players, (in the main). Answering the previous point, I wouldn't have said that the poacher role is particularly suited to "shoots with power" but then again this is a role that I have particularly struggled with.

As someone mentioned that's not necessarily gospel. I believe someone in there mentions Messi (central) has places shots, Ronaldo (wide) has shoots with power...

I honestly haven't really paid much heed to the two since FM 09/10.

In Fm14, shoots with power is brutally effective in the box, Robin Van Persie often scores a lot of his goals through that and they're usually in the box in close range where the power if it gets to either side of the keeper results in no chance of a save. He's also using it for penalties, so he can afford to miss the corner by a bit as no keeper will keep it out.

I've had placed shots crop up, but usually from wide positions where they're curled in, however they're not as frequent as Shoots with power for whatever reason.

Personally, I can't decide mainly because both camps argue in favour of each PPM quite well.

There is lots there that I don't agree with.

It's too simplistic to say that it's down to the position that the player is most likely to be shooting from. I think instructions and also attriubutes, (and other ppm's), play a key role in what works effectively and what doesn't work.

What about "there is only 1 outcome here!" when the ball obviously doesn't end up in the net. I think he is relying too much on 1 simple line of commentary.

Honestly I think you'd need a player with decent to good finishing to teach them either one of these PPMs.

I wanted to say that I'd rather teach a player with high composure to place his shots rather than blast them, but now that I think about it a play with low composure who shoots with power would blast it high and wide any time he's under pressure.

I think at the end of the day, it really is just a preference; good goalscorers will score regardless of which PPM they have.

My preference is having poachers/advanced forward types, who main job is to get on the end of chances, place their shots as they'll be taking their shots closest to the opposition keeper. Attackers who end up taking their shots from closer to the top of the box and just outside the box I'd prefer to shoot with power.

Lastly, like with any other PPM, you have to consider a few other attributes before deciding whether or not you'll teach it to that particular player.

Archived