I'd never thought i'd do this....

I've been playing championship manager/football manager for exactly 11 years and have loved playing it (perhaps too much some ex girlfriends would say, and then theyd give the ultimatum....goodbye hun)...ive seen it increase in realism, and fight off its competitors, and im enjoying this game. Im playin as Wolves and I'm now in my 5th season. I'm currently four points behind 4th place as we make our charge for the CL.

but...

It has become all too apparent that my strikers just cannot finish for s**t...now ive been on these boards for a while, and seen many people complain, laughed at some, symapthised with a few but ive always believed that was part and parcel of football in its infinite unpredicatable nature until now...this is ridiculous...the amount of clear cut chances being missed is uncanny....

Now my strikers arent the best the world has ever seen, i dont have the equivalent of maxim tsigalko, to madiera, daniel braathen and javier saviola as my quartet up front (i wish i did). However, my 4 (all regens) should be capable...I dont know tho, maybe im losing it, the ability to play this game and my mind perhaps...i think i just need some reassurance that im not going crazy and the game is somewhat f-ing with me, so here is a run down of my strikers attributes:

Dori - Apps 14 (6) Goals 4 -Shots On Target/Attempted 30/44 - Finishing/Composure 17/10

Ailton - Apps 17 (4) Goals 4 - Shots On Target/Attempted 26/42 - Finishing/Composure 16/18

Simunovic - Apps 11 (4) Goals 2 - Shots On Target/Attempted 11/23 - Finishing/Composure 17/13

Psychogios - Apps 5 (17) Goals 5 - Shots on Target/Off Target 22/30 - Finishing/Composure 16/10

Now i know its not all about finishing and composure, decisions, balance, pace etc. all come into play...but theyre also good stats, every transfer window i have to fight off the big clubs (having said that Real Madrid did sign Ebanks-Blake off me :s)

Sorry if this is poorly written, im really just venting frustation, and wondering if anybody is having the sam problem as me

Cheers

Are they good chances?

To be honest I find it frustrating too and I have Torres in my team so I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Problem is the ME allows for a lot of chances to be taken, and they all look easy.

Gets frustrating watching a silly little dot miss a chance that it should really be tucking away.

The games tries to balance things out, but the way it depicts the match is, well as mention before, incredibly frustrating.

We are creating good chances though, mostly one on ones tbh, and rarely headers but my strikers seem to be inept and thats the most frustrating thing. Tactically, we've only conceded the 4th least in the league, we just cant to put it in the onion bag...for example, in a recent game we created 9 clear cut chances, I cannot recall the amount of shots we had, we scored 3 goals, and 1 was a long shot...now thats an extreme, but its definately a reoccuring theme that is very difficult to stomach.

Out of curiosity, how can one change theyre tactics so that theyre strikers will actually finish the chances presented. If we were not creating chances at all then I would understand the problem, I just cant see how telling my strikers to make more or less forward runs would effect his ability to finish clear cut chances?

Cheers

For me personally I've had mixed experiences with strikers. I've found that in a 4-4-2 with the right combination of a attacking target man and support deep lying forward, that at least one goes for a big year. Last year this computer generated striker, Isidro had 47 goals, and broke Barca's league and total goalscorer records. My trouble always lies in getting the most of my midfielders.

Psychogios - I wonder what his mental attributes are?

I am really sorry i couldnt help. (If it makes you feel better, i have the same problems. 2 weeks in a row against Lazio and Sampdoria, i had over 20 shots taken, at least 5 clear cut chances in each match, and drew both games)

This is spot on i have awesome strikers i mean top notch but it seems like they can only convert only 1 out of every 7 chance. Even though they end up scoring about 30 goals a season they probably miss about 1000 1-on-1 chances.

For me seemingly the only goals my team can make is through long shots and some bizarre angle shots. I often notice when a player broke through the last line of defense (due to defensive error or otherwise) from halfway or final third, often they won't score. I've had games that my team shots 10-13 shots on target with about 4-5 clear cut and I'm struggling with goals, while my opponent seems to be very efficient at that. I feel my tactic isn't that bad as my team create many scoring chances. But I admit I'm not a tactical genius so...

I suppose I'll try the shoot to corner thing.

now ive been on these boards for a while

Then you should know this subject has been discussed to death elsewhere. To summarise:

There is an issue within the ME where too many easy chances are created. The chances are usually either too close to the keeper (easy to close down), straight at the keeper (easy to save), under pressure from a defender (hard to score), or shots taken whilst running fast (hard to score). Essentially, one-v-one whilst under pressure, meaning our interpretation is that of either "superkeepers" or rubbish strikers. It gives an unrealistic ratio of goals vs. chances, but the overall number of goals scored is about right, making it a rather minor problem.

So FM throws up stats like:

David Villa - clear chances = 350; goals scored = 25.

When, without the issue with the ME, it should be something like:

David Villa - clear chances = 75; goals scored = 25.

This is not a stat from any sample, just off the top of my head. Maybe it should be - clear chances = 50; scored = 25, or even 30/25, but the principle remains: the end result is the same but the ratios/stats are wrong.

If you can't score ANY goals at all, it's your tactics. Plenty of goals get scored in FM, just not as many as they should in certain situations.

Hope things pick up for you.

Then you should know this subject has been discussed to death elsewhere. To summarise:

There is an issue within the ME where too many easy chances are created. The chances are usually either too close to the keeper (easy to close down), straight at the keeper (easy to save), under pressure from a defender (hard to score), or shots taken whilst running fast (hard to score). Essentially, one-v-one whilst under pressure, meaning our interpretation is that of either "superkeepers" or rubbish strikers. It gives an unrealistic ratio of goals vs. chances, but the overall number of goals scored is about right, making it a rather minor problem.

So FM throws up stats like:

David Villa - clear chances = 350; goals scored = 25.

When, without the issue with the ME, it should be something like:

David Villa - clear chances = 75; goals scored = 25.

This is not a stat from any sample, just off the top of my head. Maybe it should be - clear chances = 50; scored = 25, or even 30/25, but the principle remains: the end result is the same but the ratios/stats are wrong.

If you can't score ANY goals at all, it's your tactics. Plenty of goals get scored in FM, just not as many as they should in certain situations.

Hope things pick up for you.

I think I understand what youre saying...the goals/game ratio is correct, but the amount of chances created during the match is too high, so to compensate for this the ME makes the keepers save more/strikers miss more? Or are you saying what the match engine classifies as 'clear cut chances' are not actually 'clear cut chances'.

If the latter is the case, then tactically something is definately wrong, however if it's the former, one would have to amend their tactics to create even more chances to compensate for the previous compensation, have I made sense?

And I think the reason people tend to put how long theyve been playing the game is because this forum is can be very hostile. Often people use it as a source to genuinely seek help and advice, but end up being ridculed and lambasted. Saying how long I've played the game I think was my of demostrating that I'm not on here just to bash the game (which admittedly some people do).

Archived