Offside?

Just playing FM, and I've been wondering for a while whether the offside rule is not quite right. This is the worst example I've seen:

Jermaine Defoe coming back from an offside position in the box after a corner is cleared. The ball is switched from R to L nowhere near Defoe who is given offside. Why?! We saw IRL how players now aren't seemingly given offside until the ball actually gets to them, let alone when the ball isn't played anywhere near them. Anyone else experienced this or know if this is being looked at?

(I'd post a screenie but not sure how?)

I don't think the game recognises the 1st/2nd phase or active/non-active positions for offside calls. Mind you, SI can hardly be blamed as nobody seems to really know how it works in real life.

Agree completely!

Defoe is in a un-activ offside position. The ball can be played. When he is distrubing the GK when someone take a shoot, then it is a offside. But, when he is just walking or running back, behind the defens line, then it is not a offside.

So: the ball can be changed, and Defoe is walking back. When there comes a cross to the other ST, and Defoe is still walking back and not disturbing a opposite player, then there is NO OFFSIDE. But, when he is in a position to get the pass, or is in front of the GK so that GK can't see the action, then it IS OFFSIDE. Of course, when he get behind the defens line, he can play the game again.

In FM it is allways offside. I haven't saw any Un-active offside. Allways, when your player is in offside position, and the pass is going to somebody in front, no matter what your player do, it is offside.

im not sure how the phases of play could be introduced into the game. We have already seen how a simple change to the ME complately screws up another part of it. So if you want it to start recognising what could be 3 phases of play before an offside occurs it would probably blow up.

I think this would be a losing battle. The rule still isnt clear IRL so it would be hard anyway

There's far too many bad offside calls being made in the game. The worst one was Ballack being 5 yards offside and Chelsea scoring from it, and the linesman ignored it.

I've just played Arsenal as well and drawn 3-3. Two of their goals were clear offsides (The first about 3 yards). Frustrating as this is costing me key points in my survival battle.

The worst bit is that I got asked after the game about Arsenal's 3rd goal being offside (It clearly wasn't), and I criticised the referee because I was unhappy with the first two. The FA were silent though, indicating the game thought the 3rd one was offside. I didn't even get a "Hint of offside" text commentary on the first one, even though it was very clear.

These aren't confusing ones either, on each of those occasions the player in an offside position has received the ball to feet. Offsides are broken in this patch and need sorting. There's far too many mistakes.

mistakes amongst officials are MEANT to be in the game in order to reflect real life. however it is hard to really accurately portray the offside rule in-game, and so consequently yes it does need some work

Archived