Extremely Slow on Windows 7 64 bit

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5470 1.6GHz

4096 MB RAM

Ran perfectly back when I had 2GB RAM and Vista 32 bit. I'm not even running it in 3d mode. Even going to the "Preferences" screen gives me a 10-20 second load time.

I switched from vista 32 to windows 7 64 and have had the exact problem. I exceed all the system specs, have updated all my drivers yet the ME continues to be jerky and stuttering throughout most of the game. It ran fine with vista.

• 1 year later...

EDIT: Sorry I just noticed this was the general FM forum. My issue is with FM Live. I'll repost it in the correct forum.

I switched from vista 32 to windows 7 64 and have had the exact problem. I exceed all the system specs, have updated all my drivers yet the ME continues to be jerky and stuttering throughout most of the game. It ran fine with vista.

I've also noticed this recently. In my office, they allow us to install and play games during our lunch breaks. The office PC's are core2duo's with 2gb ram running Windows XP 32bit. The FM Live client runs significantly smoother on those PC's than my home computer.

At home, everything feels laggy. Switching between screens, loading the 3D match engine, searching, reading/deleting mail; all sluggish. It's not unplayable but it's very noticable. Ping is consistently < 100ms, and all drivers are up to date.

Specs:

Intel i7 2.6ghz, overclocked to 3.6ghz

6gb ram

ATI 5870 (1.5gb)

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

If I can provide any other info to help diagnose this please let me know. :)

On your home PC there is far more likely to be issues with keeping your memory usage 'clean' and efficient, by this I don't mean anything like dodgy websites, but the fact that the average home user has a truckload of useless programs starting when the computer turns on (camera software, scanner & printer software, microsoft office, msn messenger etc etc) to view these (I'm assuming you're somewhat knowledgable about computers due to having an overclocked system) click the windows button, in the search bar enter MSconfig, change it to selective start-up, then go into the start-up tab at the top and basically the only thing you 'need' to load when you turn your PC on is Catalyst Control Centre (maybe you don't, but since it automanagers the fans on your gfx card its best to) and your antivirus program. My PC has 23 programs in the list for start-up, I only have the 2 I mentioned but if left unchecked all 23 would be on, looking for updates periodically and doing their own thing whilst slowing me down.

If other programs are fine, and your ping is low then it may be your bandwidth thats the limiting factor, because in the work environment where on lunch breaks you can probably draw on a huge bandwidth not really being used at home you may be restricted by an overly strict company - companies don't tell you if they're throttling your connection and at peak times around 6 - 9pm tonight a fair few do throttle connections.

Hi all,

I believe I have found the answer to what is causing this. I upgraded from XP (working fine no problems) to Windows 7 yesterday and had the problem since then!

What is causing is the screenshot of the application when you mouseover on the application on the taskbar or when using alt+tab.

To fix it you can temporarily turn it off when running fm, you can do this by:

1. Navigate to the fm executable (fm.exe)

2. Right click on it and select Properties.

3. Select the Compatibility tab and check Disable desktop composition, then click on OK.

When you next run fm, you'll get a message about Windows 7 changing to a basic scheme. That's fine just click ok (or you can go on the message and click "do not show again").

Hopefully when you are playing matches you'll notice the difference! Also when you close down FM your original windows scheme will be restored.

Let us know if it has worked for you guys

Hi all,

I believe I have found the answer to what is causing this. I upgraded from XP (working fine no problems) to Windows 7 yesterday and had the problem since then!

What is causing is the screenshot of the application when you mouseover on the application on the taskbar or when using alt+tab.

To fix it you can temporarily turn it off when running fm, you can do this by:

1. Navigate to the fm executable (fm.exe)

2. Right click on it and select Properties.

3. Select the Compatibility tab and check Disable desktop composition, then click on OK.

When you next run fm, you'll get a message about Windows 7 changing to a basic scheme. That's fine just click ok (or you can go on the message and click "do not show again").

Hopefully when you are playing matches you'll notice the difference! Also when you close down FM your original windows scheme will be restored.

Let us know if it has worked for you guys

I installed through Steam - can you let me know where the FM exe file is, I can't find it. I can right click on the FM 2011 Start Menu entry and select Properties, but Compatibility isn't a tab available.

Archived