Do you find Football Manager 2010 difficult?

I just want a simple yes or no.

Do you find the game difficult or not.

I would prefer there be no ranting, fighting nor huge posts about tactics, statistics or anything thats been repeated a billion times.

I just want an honest answer to just see how people are going.

Do you find the game difficult?

I am going to say;

Yes, this game is unrealistically difficult for the casual gamer:thup:.

I just want a simple yes or no.

Do you find the game difficult or not.

I would prefer there be no ranting, fighting nor huge posts about tactics, statistics or anything thats been repeated a billion times.

I just want an honest answer to just see how people are going.

Do you find the game difficult?

I am going to say;

Since it's your thread, hence your terms you will get the short answer: No.

Not quite a simple answer for me. It really depends on what sort of game I'm playing.

Once I get to the Premier League, the difficulty ramps up but from what I've played of lower leagues, it's quite easy.

Not quite a simple answer for me. It really depends on what sort of game I'm playing.

Once I get to the Premier League, the difficulty ramps up but from what I've played of lower leagues, it's quite easy.

I agree with that, I did incredibly well with Servette, but in the EPL I am a disaster with West Ham.

Relegated my first season, reloaded, into my third season, was up to 3rd, then lost 11 out of the next 14 games with 1-0 and 2-1 results home and away.

I have also been playing fantastic and cannot pin-point why this keeps happening.

I feel sorry for Cleon whom I have been asking a billion questions, yet I can't get the Hammers going.:o

It is getting to the point where my frustration levels are becomming higher than the enjoyment and I feel overwhelmed by the games difficulty and feel like quitting.

I always found the other FM's easy enough - FM2010 just seems a bit too touchy with player motivation and tactics.

I find it extremly hard in terms of tactics, as I think that FM doesn't represnet it realisticaly. I create a tactic similar to Man Utd IRL, but it just doesn't work... After all, maybe it's due to ME.

Apart from that, this is the best FM10 ever IMO. I hope it gets even better with the third patch, when I'll (hopefully) begin my long-term save with my beloved Man Utd.

Why do you seek simple answers, when in reality what you really want is a debate? It's really beyond me.

Where have I asked for a debate? As the originator of the thread, I feel I need to post reasons behind why I am asking a question and I have already read thousands of threads on tactics and what-not.

I just am curious in simple terms to find what people experience.

What I find hard to understand is why you feel you have to post what you did - did not really add anything to the thread and quite frankly pulling it off topic.

Sounds to me like you are the one who wants a "Debate" - more so an argument.

I find it extremly hard in terms of tactics, as I think that FM doesn't represnet it realisticaly. I create a tactic similar to Man Utd IRL, but it just doesn't work... After all, maybe it's due to ME.

Apart from that, this is the best FM10 ever IMO. I hope it gets even better with the third patch, when I'll (hopefully) begin my long-term save with my beloved Man Utd.

How are you going with Man United - have you under-achieved or actually have won some silverware, even though you feel your desired tactic did not work as intended?

Underachieved mate. I played about 15 times new games. And I can't win any major trophy. I only won CS and League Cup. I want to play like Man Utd IRL.

But, i don't think that's possible in this ME. And I don't want to use some domination tactics which don't use wingers etc. I want to play Man Utd style - 4-4-2 with AMR & AML. :) And I really don't understand how come my tactic doesn't works, because when i look at it it's complitely logical and IMO should be working.

I read Tactical Theoremes couple of times. And they make complete sense, but in FM 10 ME it doesn't works.

At least not for me. :)

P.S. The very same tactic i created in the Demo, and it worked perfectly.

Where have I asked for a debate? As the originator of the thread, I feel I need to post reasons behind why I am asking a question and I have already read thousands of threads on tactics and what-not.
When you started to elaborate on your own experiences beyond the simple Yes or No answers.
I just am curious in simple terms to find what people experience.
And you figured that "Yes" or "No" answers would cut it?
What I find hard to understand is why you feel you have to post what you did - did not really add anything to the thread and quite frankly pulling it off topic.
I was told to simply say yes or no, and I did. When it is quite apperant that you want more than this, I questioned why you would only want one-dimensional answers.
Sounds to me like you are the one who wants a "Debate" - more so an argument.
Of course I want to debate FM. Requiring Yes or No answers is for the simple minded, and those with nothing on their mind. Why did you make this thread - really?

When you started to elaborate on your own experiences beyond the simple Yes or No answers.

And you figured that "Yes" or "No" answers would cut it?

I was told to simply say yes or no, and I did. When it is quite apperant that you want more than this, I questioned why you would only want one-dimensional answers.

Of course I want to debate FM. Requiring Yes or No answers is for the simple minded, and those with nothing on their mind. Why did you make this thread - really?

time to stop attacking the thread please - if you don't like it you don't have to comment on it.

time to stop attacking the thread please - if you don't like it you don't have to comment on it.
What's wrong with making the OP reconsider his ill thought of premise. And when I am being addressed I answer - much like I do to your comment. It's only good manners.

Just ignore Vet please. He clearly is a pedant who needs things his way.

Obviously what I am trying to get is very simple replies (and none of mine have been in any way "complicated") without people going into too much detail and posting statistics, tactics, or huge thesis like replies and I don't want to see linking to tactics guides and what not as I already spent the last two weeks working on them.

This thread, I created not for debate but for some personal insight.

I agree with what Fabio said to an extent.

What I do not understand is why I play extreemly well - on a visual level and lose. I have not conceeded many, I am scoring every game - yet the results are not there - and seem to play out in an unrealistic manner.

I have been working with Cleon for the past 2 weeks to figure out FM as I am quite bad at this game and wanted to learn.

I am not a total fool when it comes to real life Football, but it seems that I just cannot translate it into the game.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

That's what bothers me. Most of the tactics in TT&T are unrealistic and are exploiting ME. That's why they are effective. But, I want to play realisticaly and to be successfull. And I guess that's not possible in 10.2 ME. :)

I'd rather not play it, then use some unrealistic tacitcs. After all, this game should represent RL.

What I do not understand is why I play extreemly well - on a visual level and lose. I have not conceeded many, I am scoring every game - yet the results are not there - and seem to play out in an unrealistic manner.

Have you tried watching a coule of matches in full detail rather then just key highlights?

I have found that sometimes i have lost when i thought i have played very well based on what the key highlights were showing me. when i look at the match in full detail though there are some things that appear to show that actually i have played badly or my tactics have exploited.

I.E: giving the ball away in certain areas thus allowing the opposition to mount counter attacks a lot and other little things like that, that the key highlights have not shown me.

Any way to answer your question, no i dont find FM10 too difficult i find it as difficult as i choose to make it tbh.

I agree with that, I did incredibly well with Servette, but in the EPL I am a disaster with West Ham.

Relegated my first season, reloaded, into my third season, was up to 3rd, then lost 11 out of the next 14 games with 1-0 and 2-1 results home and away.

I have also been playing fantastic and cannot pin-point why this keeps happening.

I feel sorry for Cleon whom I have been asking a billion questions, yet I can't get the Hammers going.:o

It is getting to the point where my frustration levels are becomming higher than the enjoyment and I feel overwhelmed by the games difficulty and feel like quitting.

I always found the other FM's easy enough - FM2010 just seems a bit too touchy with player motivation and tactics.

That pretty much sums up my experience/opinion also.

Too many variables and its a nightmare trying to figure out why stuff happens and if its related to your tactics, or one of the million other things.

I find the lower leagues fairly do-able and straight forward - you need better players than everyone else, which is easy to do on a budget. I enjoy building up a club. Unfortunately it gets boring fast and can literally take weeks of real time.

edit: Oh and the fact the only tactic that seems to 'work' well in the latest patch is 4-3-1-2 kinda sucks. I haven't had much luck with wingers since 10.1.

Not really no. That doesn't mean that things are going my way all the time, but after some initial hickups I am performing close to what I would have expected.

@OP

For a casual gamer I would expect a 'hell yes'. IMO there isn't much that is casual about this game to begin with, it's all about depth. Personally I think that is a good thing, but I can see why others would not think so.

edit

I am playing a flat 4-4-2 and it's served me well enough on 10.2.

For me, no, it is not difficult. I will be honest and say I have never EVER found any CM/FM difficult. For me it is exactly the right 'difficulty level'.

Not too easy that I win every game, but easy enough that 95% of the time (maybe higher) I have success with teams. I win trophies, I don't get sacked, I love playing the game.

I will however say, it may be a little complicated or difficult for beginners, but once they get used to it they should be fine.

One note about tactics, I ALWAYS play a sort-of 4-4-2 diamond. Flat back four, DM, 2 wide midfielders (set up on half-way line and playing as wingers). I have an AM and two strikers, and on FM10 I choose the strikers' roles depending on who I have.

I won't go into anymore tactical detail as per the thread, but the one thing I will say is - never play with a flat midfield 4! ALWAYS use a DM :thup:

Difficult-no. Frustrating-yes.
Exactly. But that's part of the appeal isn't it? I've had games where everything has fallen into place and its become too easy and then I get bored. You need to lose some times, to be able to really enjoy it when you win.

Yes. I find it a lot harder than the previous FMs I've played, with a lot more attention to detail needed in your tactics and little tweaks required in pretty much every game. It's very frustrating at times, but I'm enjoying it, and I've done OK - with my Roma side I've finished 4th, 1st, 2nd and am now 2nd in January of my fourth season. With my Oldham side on the same game, I finished 3rd in League One, then 17th and 11th in the Championship and am currently 4th. It's slow going, and I still haven't figured everything out. Like what to do about opponents playing five at the back...

Playing as Charlton, staying under the wage budget and playing in a realistic way (not quite as extreme as they do in the LLM forum though) it's a good challenge.

I imagine it's very different than taking a club up the leagues, as you build along the way, the clubs reputation increases and you start making more money. Instead my wage budget goes down each season but I still need to try and improve the team.

Difficult-no. Frustrating-yes.

I'm with Teej, In terms of difficult no I don't think is that difficult, but It way frustrating.

Here is the reason why (just present my view to reply to this question).

The game far concentrates on tactics and motivation, that the stats , which is the basic feature of FM and old CM series where the foundation of the game, that now seems pointless. You can have players with great stats and still struggle to win matches. This is so frustrating, but I won't deny that Tactics and motivation should have some importance, but no so much as is now. If a player as stat of Finishing at 19 it suggests to me that we will score 80% of the shots he takes, that could be counter with GK stats. Of course motivation and tactics can drop that value 1 or 2 points in finishing or high to the value of 20 and so on.

At this point I question the reason to maintain the stats?

And also other things, but I stated them in another thread.

Sorry to the OP, I know I got a little outside his rules for this thread, but I felt I needed explain the reason of my answer.

Haven't read all the thread so I hope I don't repeat anything someones already said.

I agree. I love the game, and I always try to play as realistically as possible (within reason). But sometimes I think the game requires too much time - especially on a slow computer, like mine. A lot of the time I can't be bothered to pay attention to everything to make my save a good one (Team-talk feedback, training improvements, the sliders for every individual, backroom advice on preffered moves etc.).

Having said that, I've only had the game for 3 weeks or so, and it usually takes me various saves to really get find a good one. FM09 was the first game I found this, and I could say I never got into the game once whatsoever.

So all in all (apologies for rambling on) yes - I do believe the game is too hard due to the fact there are too many things to take into account to make your tactics work and therefore your team win - especially when you don't always have enough time.

Good thread BTW. :thup:

Agree with Neji. Found the lower leagues relatively straightforward once I had established a decent quality 'core' of the team. Once I reached the prem (unless I had bags of money to spend or uncovered a quality player for no money) it got harder. As you'd expect.

But overall: No.

Archived