Does finishing 2nd not constitute 'challenging for the title'?

Simple question really..

I finish second in the Premier League having been battling with Chelsea for the title since Christmas. They pip me on the last day of the season and my board are disappointed that I only qualified for the Champions League.

I could understand their disappointment if they had informed me I was expected to win the league but they didn't, they asked that I challenge for it, which I did, therefore meeting my expectations, so why the disappointment??

I started as Man Utd as always. In the first season I chose Title Challenge. And I finished second. I was first all the time until last match day, when I lost title to Chelsea. :( My board was extremly unhappy with my final position in Premier Division.

Its just daft isn't it, especially considering there is an option for the board to demand that you win the title, in which case I can understand their unhappiness. But don't ask me to challenge for it and then throw out your toys when I finish a very close second!

Hahaha, he 'overrellied' (again spelling?) the troops! :D :D Anyway, I'll wait for the third patch the begin a new game, as I can't win even with Man Utd anyone, mostly due to those shots that go straight into the keeper. That's why I lost the title in the first place. :(

I don't know how to view those stats.

But whether or not they are expectant, they made their expectations clear at the start of the season and I matched them in my view.

I'm not sure its quite that simple.

Whilst overall it I would agree you did I would suspect that you were in with a good chance of winning with Chelsea stealing it at the end. Therefore they are disappointed not to have won.

I started as Man Utd as always. In the first season I chose Title Challenge. And I finished second. I was first all the time until last match day, when I lost title to Chelsea. :( My board was extremly unhappy with my final position in Premier Division.

Well, technically, Man Utd not winning the title is a bit unexpected. I think they're odds on favorite for book keepers every year? (Except maybe this year as SAF seems to have lost the plot and Chelsea will probably walk away with the silverware)

Before a big game, one of your key players will sometimes make a press announcement "rallying the troops" in order to meet the expectations of the key match.

Ah, okay cheers, yes I have seen that before :)

I just thought there might have been some new feature where you could tell a player to rally the troops that I had missed.

Well, technically, Man Utd not winning the title is a bit unexpected. I think they're odds on favorite for book keepers every year? (Except maybe this year as SAF seems to have lost the plot and Chelsea will probably walk away with the silverware)

No, Chelsea were the favourites for at least 2, if not 3 seasons while Mourinho was there.

It depends how many points behind you were. If you were 20 points away from the winners, I'd say the board has a right to be disappointed and consider you failed to 'challenge' for the title ..

Altho losing out by 3-6 points seems harsh!

I have noticed some weirdness with the board expectations in 10.2. Milan for example went from demanding I challenge to demanding I qualify for the Europa league in 12 months. After I spent 140m on new players!

Inter have won the Serie A on my save for 9 consecutive years and last season only conceeded 9 goals in 30 matches. Nuff said.

Simple question really..

I finish second in the Premier League having been battling with Chelsea for the title since Christmas. They pip me on the last day of the season and my board are disappointed that I only qualified for the Champions League.

I could understand their disappointment if they had informed me I was expected to win the league but they didn't, they asked that I challenge for it, which I did, therefore meeting my expectations, so why the disappointment??

I think that's pretty realistic - compare it to real life, Chelsea have got rid of managers after they have finished 2nd as they are dissapointed to finish 2nd behind United.

I think that's pretty realistic - compare it to real life, Chelsea have got rid of managers after they have finished 2nd as they are dissapointed to finish 2nd behind United.

I understand that, but the Chelsea board likely demanded that the team win the title, therefore got rid of the manager when this wasn't achieved.

My board asked that I challenge for the title, I battled with Chelsea for top spot all season despite them having resources that far exceed mine and a squad full of superstars and lost out when they beat an already relegated side on the last day of the season, making it impossible for me to make up the 2 point deficit despite my getting a very good away win with ten men. I was top for maybe 3 weeks of the season but that was it, the rest of the time I was chasing a seemingly unbeatable with generally only around 3 points in it.

It just annoys me because I hadn't spent barely any money that season, I wasn't the title holder and they'd only asked that I reach the quarter final of the Champions League and the semi in the FA Cup.

On the brightside though, they've only asked that I qualify for the Champions League the following season so a decent title challenge should stand be in good stead :thup:

It's realistic if you lose the title on the last day, even if you're Hull or Portsmouth you'll probably be disappointed that you didn't win just that one game...

But it's possible to finish 2nd and not be a challanger, look at the Croatian league XD, whoever finishes second they are miles behind Dinamo...

It's realistic if you lose the title on the last day, even if you're Hull or Portsmouth you'll probably be disappointed that you didn't win just that one game...

The problem is that the board only say they're disappointed you only qualified for the Champions League, hence indicating they don't recognize the fact you did indeed "challenge for the title". It's like there is no option for reaching "challenge for the title" apart from actually winning the title.

I've had the exact same problem... I manage Chelsea and at the start of the season I set the expectations to: Title Challenge.

I started the campaign horribly, out of say my first 18 league matches I won 7, drew 9 and lost 2. Then I turned it around and finished 3rd (80 points), only 2 points behind champions Liverpool (82 points) with second-placed Manchester United on 81 points.

I was never top of the table although I would have gone top had I won my second last match (against Liverpool), I drew that 1-1.

Archived