Goalkeeper whose strength is crosses but also weak at crosses?

Command of Area

This affects how well the goalkeeper takes charge of his penalty area and works

with his defensive line. A goalkeeper who commands his entire box (i.e. has a

high rating) will be instinctive and look to take charge of situations, especially

coming for crosses (therefore working in tandem with Aerial Ability). Do note,

however, that a high rating only increases his penchant for coming for crosses

and not necessarily claiming them all.

Whether or not aerial ability and command of area should be mutually exclusive is not an argument I'm getting involved in...

Command of the area is how much he will come out and take charge of a situation. So claiming crosses is part of that.

The report is saying that he has a high command of his area ie likes to come and claim crosses but his poor aerial ability will mean that he probably doesn't claim many of them.

The two work together but I wouldn't call it bad game design. How many times do we see keepers in real life coming to claim cross but end up flapping at them?

I suppose it's a good news bad news type of thing.

You know... Good news is he's got excellent handling which should help a lot with crosses, but bad news is can't really jump that high so he won't be using that excellent handling a great deal.

So that's like saying this striker here has 20 for finishing so is a clinical striker but has low composure. So, basically, he can only score when there is no keeper in goal?

Command of the area is how much he will come out and take charge of a situation. So claiming crosses is part of that.

The report is saying that he has a high command of his area ie likes to come and claim crosses but his poor aerial ability will mean that he probably doesn't claim many of them.

The two work together but I wouldn't call it bad game design. How many times do we see keepers in real life coming to claim cross but end up flapping at them?

One name. David James.

The bad design I'm referring to is a scout telling you "well he's really good at collecting crosses, but he's kinda bad at collecting crosses". (not the fact that there are 2 attributes that affect this differently)

Conflicting and confusing feedback = bad design

The bad design I'm referring to is a scout telling you "well he's really good at collecting crosses, but he's kinda bad at collecting crosses". (not the fact that there are 2 attributes that affect this differently)

Conflicting and confusing feedback = bad design

Ahh, I see your point. It could be a lot clearer. You only really understand the scout report if you understand the attributes and they aren't always obvious.

Still doesn't make sense to me.

He has high command and handling. Which means he will take control and will catch the ball. But he is weak at catching the ball in the air? How can that be if he has high handing? Also his agility and jumping isn't half bad so why does will he struggling with crosses?

Still doesn't make sense to me.

He has high command and handling. Which means he will take control and will catch the ball. But he is weak at catching the ball in the air? How can that be if he has high handing? Also his agility and jumping isn't half bad so why does will he struggling with crosses?

this is based partly on deduction and partly on testing via attribute editing/observation, hence it is in no way shape or form the gospel truth.

- jumping = how high he can jump

- agility = ability to change direction quickly

- reflexes = ability to react quickly

*these two are related but not quite the same, much like aerial ability and command of area

- handling = can they hold the ball when they get their hands on it

- aerial ability = judgement of the cross trajectory when they decide to come for it

- positioning = where they are at the moment the cross is made before they decide to come for it

- command of area = desire to come and claim a cross

Would this apply for shots from outside the box, closing down one on ones, etc...?

Shots outside the box fairly certain, but with respect to one on ones positioning I don't know if it interacts with the one on one attribute in the position taken being a function of both attributes much like the odds of finishing are a function of composure and finishing, or whether it has no bearing at all.

As always best to make your own mind up in the same way I come to these conclusions, by watching the keeper in action. Perception of the match engine and the impact of variables is a personal thing so there may well be users who think what I wrote is complete nonsense. As an example some people believe creative freedom affects positioning particularly for attacking players and perceive a difference in movement when they tweak that slider but I personally don't see a difference, and the changelists in the past have suggested that it only acts as a modifier of the flair attribute which impacts on decisions in possession or as the ball comes to a player e.g. overheads.

Archived