why are there dramatic match engine changes each year?

Why is it that with every time a new game is released, the match engine is nowhere near as good as the prevoius games latest patch? Are there so much work done on the match engine each year that there's always going to be a number of bugs in it? I mean 9.3.0 made FM09 a really good game, and you would think "now SI have finally got it right, lets keeo it like that". Then FM10 is released with a match engine that isn't really as good as 9.3.0..

I'm not angry or anything, I just wonder why it is like that. If there are no critical changes that have to be made (and therefore ruin last years ME) I'm sure many of us would be glad to have a 9.3.0 match engine in FM10. Of course I want the ME to develop, but it shouldn't be such a beta-like ME on release each year..

FM09 was a dramatic update to the match engine. I don't see anything near as dramatic in FM10, a few tweaks here and there that might not be polished and running properly but then it is always the fly in the ointment that sticks out. I certainly don't think FM10 is somehow worse, it is not like the entire ME was rewritten from the ground up for each version of FM.

Archived