The penalty doom keeps striking

Hey guys,

I am still trying to get my grips with the penalty kicks in the 10.2 patch.

Wondering if this keeps happening to you as well.

I was playing in Brazil with Flamengo in a save. Flamengo´s keeper Bruno IRL had 16 penalties missed against him in the last 3 seasons (13 saves and 3 either on the woodwork or out). He followed a tradition that started with Taffarel and Dida who were terrific penalty savers and we can also think of Goycoechea from Argentina who was pretty average in gameplay but very strong on penalties.

I spent an entire season and Bruno made one save out of around 25 PKs against me (which in fact was in a PK contest where the opposition goalie made 2 saves and we lost after 10 attempts from each side).

To incorporate to that, no big deals with morale or anything, and yet, I had players with reasonable composure and good to excellent PK skills (14-18) losing penalties in sequences (e.g. D´Alessandro).

I thought, well - this maybe bad luck...although definitely the save-ratio on the patch is incredibly low when compared to the real situation in Brazil.

Then I found myself managing Gremio, very good team with a fantastic keeper, Victor, National Team keeper and elected the best playing in Brazil this season.

And yet, with excellent morale we just lost a PK contest against Internacional so I had a look at the stats I believe would play a part.

Here´s the scenario:

My GK - reflexes 16, composure 12

Opponent GK - reflexes 14, composure 12

My PK takers in order (result in brackets):

1st - pen - 16, comp - 12 (goal)

2nd -pen - 14, comp - 12 (missed - out)

3rd - pen - 13, comp - 10 (goal)

4th - pen - 14, comp - 12 (goal)

5th - pen - 11, comp - 13 (goal)

Opponent´s PK takers:

1st - pen - 13, comp - 10 (goal)

2nd - pen - 10, comp - 13 (goal)

3rd - pen - 14, comp - 12 (goal)

4th - pen - 10, comp - 14 (goal)

5th - pen - 8, comp - 12 (goal)

Of course, the system I am using to evaluate these PKs is short, but it aims to give an idea.

If we´d place a ranking on the takers, it would look something like that:

best - 1st taker on my team

2nd - tie between my takers 2 and 4 and opponent´s 3rd

5th - tie between my taker 3 and opponent´s 1st

7th - my 5th taker

8th-10th -opposing players with average (10) to mediocre penalty taking skills (8)

I was disqualified for the third time in my save in a PK contest (never won one), and it is the third time I believe firmly I had a much better GK - not to say the opposing GK made a difference but there is a question wether having a National Team keeper or a penalty-saving expert would play a part, as expected. In both previous situations I had a better takers setup and at least equal motivational conditions.

I didn´t include the determination, but don´t bother asking cause there´s no player in my team with determination under 13.

I think penalties should be looked carefully by SI in FM10´s next patch or next versions of the game. It is not bearing a close resemblance to the actual situation, at least in Brazil.

On the other hand, perhaps I am missing an attribute here to count and any advice would be appreciated, since this penalty thing which got me out of 3 title runs is starting to wear me out.

Did any of you experience an equal run of bad luck that let you instinctively thinking about lookin at the stats as I ended up doing?

Cheers,

Tele

Archived