Long-term saves

So, i started unemployed with 'sunday league' experience. Soon enough i was offered the Woking job. Back to back promotions from the blue square north and blue square premier respectively have ended me up in coca cola league 2. After spending two seasons in league two i am just about to embark on my third season at this level and fully expect to gain promotion with the squad i have.

I would love to progress as a manager and eventually work in the premier league and even abroad at a top european club, however, just five seasons into my game i am starting to feel a little worry that the save wont last. This is because all the 'real' players are starting to retire and are being replaced with regens, although i know there is no way around this happening, it still effects my enjoyment of the game.

My question is how long are some of your 'long term saves' and do you find yourself losing interest as the years go by as well?

i remember my first real success starting un-employed, i was at morton 2 years, then barnet it league 2, the hartlepool in same league and so on, but the time i got to premier league Cristiano Ronaldo was 30 and i signed him for Boro, i continued that game for another 10 seasons or so, still as much fun as when i started. The players i brought in became the well known players on the game and so on....the only seasons where the popluar players mean anything are the first few anyway, its not long into a game before you have Billy Smith lined up with Rooney and Walcott :)

i have always wanted to do a long term save but i have never had the patience or the attention span to go through with one for dozens of seasons.

however i always wanted to do so as i think it is more of a challenge and more of a skill to pick the right players, you are also trying to rely alot mroe on your scouts who can find players that they say are good and you will have to belive them, its not like they scout Modric and say that he is well worth buying, as you already know that he is well worth buying so you put in an offer knowing that there is a good chance that he will do well for you, however with a longer save and the scout finds a player that they say is worth buying, you will be hessistant to go for him.

im currently at my 8th season with standard and i have to admit, i think around season 3 or 4 i got a bit bored.. i had a great team and everything pretty much stayed the same. won the league and every cup except european victories every single year, didn't particulary need any new players.. but then a lot of regens came along and to me this was a new challenge, keeping me hooked. i think finding a great regen is a lot more sattisfying then just signing a known irl talent btw.

I'm currently in 2053. I love my save, there is always so much going on, aside from the fact I dominate. I've got so many "side" games I play, (Like getting a striker to score 3,000 goals :) ) - that I'm always interested in it. I've also taken over another club, built them up to be quite reputable, and hope to try and wrestle the domestic title for them, away from my other club :thup:

I've played maybe ten-twelve seasons in at most, but mind you this was with the help of going on holiday. The longest save I've had where I've played nearly every match was with Swansea, I took them from League One to the Premiership and finished 6th after about seven seasons. This was my favorite game, but unfortunately my computer froze while saving and I TURNED IT OFF and the file was corrupted. I also had a seven season save with Leeds but got sacked the year I got them into the Premiership because the board wanted to go a "different direction" (ie: back to League One, thanks Ken Bates!).

And to answer your question, it does kind of suck when all the real players begin to fade, but I like scouting and finding regens, for me it's one of the funnest parts of the game.

Archived