Why do all my staff keep leaving to go to inferior clubs?

Managing Newcastle, in my 4th season. Won Premiership last season, plus FA Cup and runner-up in Europa cup.

My staff keep leaving for clubs like West Brom, Wolves, Portsmouth, Stoke, Ipswich and Birmingham!

Why would they leave a top of the Prem club in the Champions League to go to lower level clubs? It makes no sense!

I could understand it if they were going for higher level jobs/a promotion, but:

Chris Hughton went from Assistant Manager at Toon to Assistant Manager at Wolves!

Kevin Keen went from First Team Coach at Toon to First Team Coach at Ipswich!

What's going on?

More cash? You could try offering them a pay rise when another club comes in for them, usually works for me.

Nah, I checked that. The contracts they are getting elsewhere are the same or less. There are no big pay rises involved.

I reckon there must be something 'stuck' on reputation that still has Newcastle as a Champ club or something, which is maybe why they think they're better off at Wolves or Birmingham! Mind you, I haven't had trouble attracting high level players, it's just the staff leaving I'm having problems with...

Hm, not sure then as I haven't had this issue. I would just make sure in future that you try and tie them down to well-paid long-term contracts if you want to keep them to put other teams off coming in for them.

Cheers. I'll give it a go...

Archived