Is transfer system broke or does it need tweaking in FM10

I manage Villa and I ask because after 4 seasons now the big prem clubs make some awfull signings.

In FM's gone past I think they had the transfer system close to being very realistic, now I see things like Man Utd buying 31 yr old Ben Haim for 11 mill from wolves as an example and no massive major signings from anyone really.

I'm running FM10 fully patched but think it needs seriously looking at in patch number 3 after the latested real life transfer window.

Anyone else have thoughts?

It needs tweaking. I think it's very hard for an AI manager to "think" like we do. FM10 has improved massively over FM09 where an AI manager seemed to just buy players based on availability and reputation, giving (for example) 3 world class right-wingers at Liverpool or 5 top/world class DMCs at Man Utd. Now they definitely build for the future, but in terms of quality there is definitely something lacking.

Because the transfer system is the same for AI and humans, we are able to think around the limitations (eg, paying over 48 months instead of up front) and knowing how to move money around, utilise players, and we can predict how successful they will be. We KNOW David Villa will bag 20-30 goals a season, so we know he's worth the money.

But the AI thinks in numbers, in computer code and only translates into the most basic approximation of how humans look at FM. "I need a right winger. Who's available?" A real life example would of course be Pennant to Liverpool, but increasingly in FM this happens more and more. Gary Cahill is a damn fine player, but world class? Man U nearly always sign him, then play him 5-10 times a season. Roma are more likely to spend £10million of Victor Moses (yes, in my current save, they did) than £30million on Ballotelli. AI teams also build for the future now, but don't seem to know how to develop youth.

FM10 has seen transfers improve a lot on FM09, but the main problem is simply that big teams continue to buy mediocre players.

So, yes, a tweak is required IMO.

the big clubs do seem to go after players that are not even good enough to play for them and spend heaps doing so. on my game man united bought a defender for 15m. cant remember who he is now but hes at a mid table prem side IRL and is highly unlikely to make the next step up. since hes been at man united hes played about 5 times a season for about the last 4 seasons. i wonder y hes still there and y man utd even signed him?

im sure they could of spent 20m on a key player or spent a lot less on a back up player, which this player basically is. certainly the game lacks when it comes to common sense signings.

Archived