Long term manager to have input on Stadium plans?

There's been wild discussions in the past regarding stadiums in the game. I'm all for realism, so I accept a manager is never gonna click a button to have a stadium built when he sees fit. What I suggest is the manager can have an input if he's been at the club for a very long & successful time. In the board room menu there could be an option to talk to the board not only about the possibility of building a new stadium, but also how many seats it should have, whether it should have a roof/undersoil heating and that sort of stuff.

It's rather annoying when you've been eagerly awaiting a new stadium, and you go from say 45,000 to 55,000 when you could have filled a 80,000 stadium.

What do you think?

Difficult to say...

It's difficult for us to know how many seats you could potentially fill without going up gradually (certainly the only reccomendations I'd make are which teams I'd want a bigger stadium than) - that's more of a economicy-boardy decision, which they should in theory make taking into account a better view of how much you could fill - especeially for a new stadium where there is loads of planning involved...

(also it is a bit annoying when you've issued an ultimatum to make the stadium bigger at the risk of your job, and then they only expand it by 1,000)

I agree with you completely that "stadium expansion" and "stadium improvemets" should be two different catergories. - You would be requesting them for different reasons, and it doesn't make sense to lump them together. Missing a years worth of expansion for your big european campaign because they put a roof on you didn't want would be equally annoying as onstantly getting minor expansions, but never the undersoil heating you so desperately need...

(also it is a bit annoying when you've asked the board to expand the stadium and they stick a roof on and reduce the capacity by 10,000 to make room for it)

i liked EA Sports take on this area in their management game (which i dont play but i had tried one of their older games long ago)....it would be interesting if you were able to be involved in the construction aspect of the stadium...for example lets say the board approves the need for a new stadium...you could pick where to build the stadium based on the city landscape...therefore by picking a nicer upscale crowded part of the city/town it will influence the fans outlook...as well as the total cost of the project...

you should also be able to have input on whether the stadium should have a team museum...fan shops...restaurants...etc...

granted this goes a little beyond the manager scope...but it definitely makes the game more engaging

I'm fairly sure Wenger was heavily involved in the design of the New Library, but I'm also sure he didn't demand or ask for it.

Yeah he did. Not in terms of capacity, location etc. but certainly in terms of how they were going to make it work so that the pitch was as good as it could be.

Its still something to consider....the guys over at SI are gonna start running out of ideas to keep the game fresh and appealing...

I don't think they are tbh, but even if they were, putting unrealistic stuff in isn't going to please anyone apart from puevlo. ;)

i liked EA Sports take on this area in their management game (which i dont play but i had tried one of their older games long ago)....it would be interesting if you were able to be involved in the construction aspect of the stadium...for example lets say the board approves the need for a new stadium...you could pick where to build the stadium based on the city landscape...therefore by picking a nicer upscale crowded part of the city/town it will influence the fans outlook...as well as the total cost of the project...

you should also be able to have input on whether the stadium should have a team museum...fan shops...restaurants...etc...

granted this goes a little beyond the manager scope...but it definitely makes the game more engaging

I disagree with this completely.

I do agree about long term managers having an input in the stadium however. Wenger apparently had a fair bit of input into the Emirates. Perhaps it could be used like a recommendation for a feeder team? The board could give you a certain number of options such as, Seats - 60,000, Cost - £200 million Seats 70,000, Cost £250 million etc etc. To activate it perhaps you should only be given the option when your favoured personnel at the club? That combined with the rare frequency of new stadiums should combine to make sure you have to have been there for a few years before even getting a say.

I disagree with this completely.

I do agree about long term managers having an input in the stadium however. Wenger apparently had a fair bit of input into the Emirates. Perhaps it could be used like a recommendation for a feeder team? The board could give you a certain number of options such as, Seats - 60,000, Cost - £200 million Seats 70,000, Cost £250 million etc etc. To activate it perhaps you should only be given the option when your favoured personnel at the club? That combined with the rare frequency of new stadiums should combine to make sure you have to have been there for a few years before even getting a say.

I think this is in the right direction - but also that the board should be a lot more likely to ignore your recommendation for their own commercial reasons than they are with feeder clubs. The board should also give an idea of the long-term development possiblilities at the current ground - and about their own long-term plans - when you ask them about an expansion.

It would be nice to get responses such as: "The board don't feel an expansion of the current ground is appropriate at the present time. They have, however, been considering the option of building a new ground for some time and will keep you informed of any progress in these plans."

Then you might get an update maybe six months later saying "The board are pleased to inform you they are continuing to pursue the option of a new ground and are actively exploring options for financing such a move. They anticipate a fully-covered ground with a planned capacity of 40,000-45,000, undersoil heating and improved corporate facilities"

Or alternatively "The board regret to inform you that given the club's level of profitability, they do not believe it would be a prudent commercial move to seek financing for a new ground at this time. Additionally, they do not feel it would be worthwhile to expand the current ground. This is because it would only be possible for reasons of space to increase the capacity by 4,000, an increase the board feels is not an adequate trade-off for the costs of construction."

Surely the owners know what is best for the club on the whole, financial scale of things? I doubt Wenger knew the financial effect different seat numbers had - that was surely down to the number crunchers? If I'm honest, I doubt he had much input whatsoever. He probably knew there were others who could do it better than he could, and what would he recommend? Shape? I don't know. I just think it's down to others, stadium design, not the manager.

I could bring out the classic argument - It's Football Manager 2010 not Stadium Designer 2010 :)

I doubt Wenger knew the financial effect different seat numbers had - that was surely down to the number crunchers?

Actually Wenger has a degree in Electrical Engineering and a master's degree in Economics so i think in this particular case he would most useful for inputs on a new stadium ;)

as has been noted i dont think it happens in real life, so i dont think it should go into the game. i do think though this should be looked at in some fashion because at the minute some capacities make no sense.

don't think arsene wenger or fergerson would have input irl so why put it in the game

clarification here:

wenger was crucial to moving stadium, a key supporter and mover behind the decision. he also had personal say-so over several aspects of stadium design, and total control over player areas to be built. He had a massive influence in it.

Archived