Do you have a keeper on the bench??

Since FM08 onwards I've never bothered with a sub keeper unless its a massive game (CL final for example). It seems to me a wasted spot and I'd much rather have the choice of 7 outfield players to change and effect a game if needed.

Am I crazy (and lucky) or is the norm for FMers?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always 100% have a keeper on the bench. Esp now there's 7 slots. I know a lot of people will not put a keeper on there though.

I tend to have GK, CB, FB, CM, MRL, AM/F, ST as my bench set up.

I never have a keeper on the bench, it did cost me in the CL quarter final recently though. Was 5-2 on aggregate with 30 minutes to go and my keeper got sent off and it finished 5-5, I went out on away goals.

Micah Richards was useless in goal...

I never have a keeper on the bench, it did cost me in the CL quarter final recently though. Was 5-2 on aggregate with 30 minutes to go and my keeper got sent off and it finished 5-5, I went out on away goals.

Micah Richards was useless in goal...

TBH this is exactly why I always have 1. Just in case.

You can only use 3 subs anyway so why is there a need for 7 outfield players if you can provide cover for your entire team in 6?

I usually don't have a keeper on the bench, im same i'd prefer to have a wide variety of outfield players on the bench.

If my keeper gets injured early in a game, i keep a goalkeeper on the bench for a few games after, just incase. But after a while i go back to not keeping one on the bench.

I usually don't have a keeper on the bench, im same i'd prefer to have a wide variety of outfield players on the bench.

If my keeper gets injured early in a game, i keep a goalkeeper on the bench for a few games after, just incase. But after a while i go back to not keeping one on the bench.

My Aston Villa Bench (under normal circumstances):

Hart GK

Naughton DRL

Collins DC

Gago MC

Ben Arfa AMRLC

Kalou AMRL/FC

Santa Cruz ST

My thinking is (and this is not personal attck on anyone) that I can cover every position in 6 substitute spaces.

Maybe I am just lucky then, because I can't remember needing a sub keeper since FM07. Yes I probably can cover all positions in 6 subs, but just prefer that added option.

I would say its pretty much nailed on that now I've started this thread the next game I play will see my keeper sent off or injured and me having to stick Ledley or someone else tall in goal! :)

Maybe I am just lucky then, because I can't remember needing a sub keeper since FM07. Yes I probably can cover all positions in 6 subs, but just prefer that added option.

I would say its pretty much nailed on that now I've started this thread the next game I play will see my keeper sent off or injured and me having to stick Ledley or someone else tall in goal! :)

Yeah probably. It's sods law. :p

I once had my keeper and sub keeper sent off in the same match... That caused me some problems. :o

Of course I have one...

He'll just be a "wasted" spot in 99 occasions out of 100, but in that single one you'll be happy to have brought him.

Moreso: you can just use 3 subs, so is there such a big need for a 7th outfield substitute?

1 GK

1 DC

1 DC/FB

1 multi-role player

1 CM

1 (A)M RL©

1 ST

That's more than enough to cover pretty much every need.

I normally do, but I've gone through some phases with FM10 where I haven't bothered. Can't argue with the points about covering all the positions with 6 subs + keeper (I can't believe we used to get by with 3 in the early CM days!), but sometimes you want to have a kid on the bench, but don't want to rely on him in a crunch situation at the expense of a more experienced/reliable pro.

I normally do, but I've gone through some phases with FM10 where I haven't bothered. Can't argue with the points about covering all the positions with 6 subs + keeper (I can't believe we used to get by with 3 in the early CM days!), but sometimes you want to have a kid on the bench, but don't want to rely on him in a crunch situation at the expense of a more experienced/reliable pro.

Even then I had a keeper... :rolleyes:

As pointed out by others its not always a case of needing that 7th spot but there may well be a young talent who I'd like to give a run out if possible.

But it does appear that the community is about 50/50 on this, interesting stuff.

Yeah, even in Northern Ireland, where you occasionally can only have three subs, I keep a goalkeeper on the bench.

There was a short spell when I physically couldn't. I was managing Real Madrid. I had Casillias and Adan as goalkeepers, the entire B team was out on loan. Iker got injured during a match, and I put Adan on. He was out fro about two weeks. I decide that promoting a youth-team goalkeeper who wouldn't be good enough for Castilla (sp), let alone Real Madrid, would not be worth it.

Anyway, Madrid derby. We go one goal up early on, but Adan gets sent off. I put Ronaldo in goal, because he'd fill more of it.

Here's the story of that match. I was managing both teams, but I was genuinely trying to get both to win

Yeah me too. I remember developing a kid at Newcastle who I kept playing off the bench. I can only imagine I had the world's most reliable first XI.

Back in those days though I just played the same team unless someone got injured or suspended. There was no squad rotation then.

When managing in Northern Ireland a couple of years ago, you were only allowed 3 players on the bench. Even then I always used up one for the goalie. I could always shuffle the rest of the team to fit them in the positions they can play by using the 2 other players I had benched. Or simply switch to a different formation.

Better than losing by 5 goals when my keeper gets a red card. It's happened quite a few times for me to risk it.

I always have a keeper on the bench, but my management style is to have a small flexible squad so i can usually manage to get lots of options from the 6 outfield players i can name on the bench.

GK

CB

FB (usually one of my CB's can also cover a FB position - Sakho for example)

DM

AM

Winger

ST

I never have a GK on the bench. It only happens when I have no outfield player to fill the 7 bench slots. This is probably because of superstition more than for realistic reasons, but each time I had a GK on the bench, the GK in game seemed to be worried and had disastrous games, like if he was thinking that the reason why there is a GK on the bench is because I don’t trust him. Yeahh I know, it sounds crazy, but most of the time it just happens that way.

Not had to use one in a emergency for a few (RL) years, maybe once I don't remember but otherwise. I still have a keeper due to past experiences and also because I actually occasionally sub off a poorly performing one, plus once did so just before a penalty for one with better reflexes (it worked). If one's been out for whatever reason I'm not always in a rush to put them back on the bench but most of the time I do.

I'll always have my backup, unless my main keeper's hurt; I try to go with as few keepers as possible on my squad, however, since I don't like to rotate them and they end up whining if they get no playing time. So if my main guy's out for a couple of weeks, I usually throw in his backup and just play without a keeper sub for a couple weeks.

Not had to use one in a emergency for a few (RL) years, maybe once I don't remember but otherwise. I still have a keeper due to past experiences and also because I actually occasionally sub off a poorly performing one, plus once did so just before a penalty for one with better reflexes (it worked). If one's been out for whatever reason I'm not always in a rush to put them back on the bench but most of the time I do.

Interesting. Even if I had a sub keeper he would have to be absolutely awful for me to consider subbing him on performance.

Interesting. Even if I had a sub keeper he would have to be absolutely awful for me to consider subbing him on performance.

I once subbed off my keeper at half time in the CL final. We were 3-1 down to Real Madrid and my keeper let in a goal from a ridiculously acute angle so I was annoyed with him and brought on a 17 year old for his debut instead. I went on to win 6-3!

Some leagues require a keeper be on the bench. I always do, I can usually cover every position with 6 subs and a quick shuffle of the players already on the pitch.

Sometimes I'll put the back up in for some playing time if I'm a little undecided as to who my #1 should be.

Whilst it's too our advantage, i find it very disappointing that after so many versions of FM it's still the case that it's totally unrealistic how often a sub keeper is required. Compared to real life the number of keepers who get red cards or injuries that require coming off is far far too low.

As a result I not only don't have a backup on the bench; I don't bother with one in the first team squad. My back-up keeper plays every reserve game AND U19 game. Having three keepers in a squad of 50 or 60 is just a waste.

Always - and I reguarly give them 20-30 mins at the end of the match to boost morale/get first team experience for a youngster/stop my backups from moaning...

I rotate keepers often too - as for me, nothing damages my chances of success like a keeper with bad morale/I love developing youngsters/Once I had a backup keeper who thought he should be playing first team football - and it turned out he was right and I was wrong!

ALWAYS have a keeper, bench set up always consists of GK, 2xdefenders covering all defensive positions, 2xmidfields again covering right to left, a midfielder who can pley up front and an out and out striker, but the keeper is a must!

Archived