Stupid Team Talks

Was two nil up and said i was pleased but my team go out and lose 4 f***ing 2

i think that its stupid that the only possible way to get a proper result in that situation without any problems is to teld them nothing at half time.

if you tell them not to let their performance drop, they complain about me not giving the team enough credit

I guess the question here is: Does 'None' mean that everyone sits in silence for 15 minutes, or does it mean that you basically tell the players 'Keep doing what you're doing now'? I used to use 'Pleased' as the assman recommended and put up with occasional comebacks, but switched to 'Don't let your performance drop' on a friend's recommendation and have seen a small improvement overall. I don't normally use 'None' and I'll give it a try now. Obviously what we all want to say is 'They're going to throw everything at us and somehow will find new abilities far beyond anything they ever thought possible so for the love of God please at least stop them scoring until about 70 minutes in order to limit the amount of time I spend on the verge of cardiac arrest.' On reflection, that's quite a lot to fit in a drop down menu.

I guess the question here is: Does 'None' mean that everyone sits in silence for 15 minutes,

No, of course not. It just means you're doing your normal routine team talk and are just trying to keep your players in the same frame of mind.

According to the game tips that pop up during the game you should never say nothing unless its a special situation, ignoring your players is usually bad, basically.

I hate saying pleased. It seems the fastest way to throw a 2-0 lead away. Theres not much options execpt dont let you performance drop.

Never say why can't you play like that every week either. Which I would think would be a complament. Also sarcasm doesnt seem to work by saying that when they get beat.

They need to make a solution for this because its crazy. Why should we say none!? Very realistic eh

Because "None" = whatever you said in the pre-match talk.

Also for the record "pleased" does work but can be a bad idea if your team is complacent/unprofessional/low determination.

team talks have had too much influence for years and at the same time have never really been properly explained. its like press conferences - you say one thing, for instance that you think you *might* win, and the game takes taht and reports it as "player thinks he will win on satureday." not so good.

Unless I want something to CHANGE with regard to a player's morale & motivation at half-time, I keep my mouth shut. If everything's going reasonbly well, I just go right into the second half. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What he said.

I would not recommend to simply not give any team talks as it makes some (or most) of the players angry , if you are unsure at how to do team talk then try leave it to your ass. manager instead.

I disagree. Saying nothing and angering the players is much better a response than "didn't seem to be listening..." At least your players are going back out onto the pitch with fire in their belly instead of feeling all a bit "meh.." :thup:

According to the game tips that pop up during the game you should never say nothing unless its a special situation, ignoring your players is usually bad, basically.

Good point, might need some clarification. I agree with what everyone has been saying really. If 'None' at HT means they just carry on with what you said before kick off then that's great it just needs flagging up a bit better. Does this explain why going 'For the Fans' before kick off and at HT seems to have less effect in the second half? Presumably this means the people who are going to be motivated by that are already pretty stoked up while the people who weren't motivated the first time won't be the second time either.

Archived