Array Access Out Of Bounds- What does it even mean?

Hi everyone,

I'm just interested to know what exactly 'Array Access Out Of Bounds' error messages mean?

From what I've been able to tell, they have no effect at all, except to put the game into windowed mode.

They come up 2/3 times, but then beggar off, and I rarely saw them more than once in a session, using V1 of my Commentary Pack.

Does anyone know what they mean, or what they do?

I'd appreciate an answer greatly.

Thanks a lot,

Joe

If you want the technical explanation, arrays are used in programming to hold lists of things. So in FM terms, you'd maybe have an array of players for each club, and an array of staff and so on. You have to specify a maximum size for each array, and you can't directly go over that limit. An array access out of bounds is being generated when FM tries to access an item beyond the allotted limit for that array (for example, trying to get the 51st player from a club that only has 50 players). Obviously it's a bug that FM is trying to do this, but it's a very general thing - array's will be used many many times throughout the entire codebase - so it's almost impossible to guess what's causing them. Plus there could be multiple causes anyway.

...exactly what bigDunk said. A single array is basically a collection with a set amount of maxiumum items it can hold. As soon as you try adding or accessing things that are outside the maxium length, you get these exceptions.

These kind of things are really programming 101 and am suprised that SI allowed FM10 to include these bugs. Luckily, i havent encountered these issues on my installation.

These kind of things are really programming 101 and am suprised that SI allowed FM10 to include these bugs. Luckily, i havent encountered these issues on my installation.

this is a bit shallow IMO. yes arrays are a fundamental concept of programming, but they are used so often that they are also the cause of a lot of common errors

just a side note, if the error was ignored, so say you are trying to access something that you shouldnt, then there is no telling what may result. furthermore, if you try to write over that data, you could have some big issues.

These kind of things are really programming 101 and am suprised that SI allowed FM10 to include these bugs.

It's a bit unfair to level that kind of accusation, as we have no idea what's causing the problems. The larger a codebase gets, the more subtle and tricky the kind of errors that can creep in.

agreed..the very nature of the way SI do things i.e allow a lot of customising , allows problems like this to occur, but i would not have it any other way. Start restricting the code and you restrict what this amazing community can achieve with it ...

as for the error.. I would delete any commentary files etc you have and revert to the default

Archived