Optimum squad size

Hi guys,

admitedly I'm struggling a bit with the whole First Team/Reserve squad setting, and letting which guys be available for reserve team games... however putting that asside...

Whats the general feeling on squad size? I've got a number of quality young players in my squad who aren't getting reserve games, so I'm worried about their development.

I've also got a load of hopeless ex-U18s getting games.

How many players do you keep in your first team (i.e. not set as reserves) and how many in the reserve squad?

For Premier league teams that you would expect to go far in Europe and all Cups I would say as many as 25 first team guys and you should only have to send them to the reserves occasionly to get fit. Rotate them in and out a bit and you should be fine.

If you are not expecting a lot of cup and Europe games then I would say 22.

Reserves....it doesn't matter. I don't think young players benefit a huge amount from playing reserve along with the usual U18 games so if you have a lot of reserve players I wouldn't be too worried about U18 players not getting into those games. I normally keep my reserve players to 10-12 or less and just let the rest be filled in by the AI managers and let them pick U8 players.

For Premier league teams that you would expect to go far in Europe and all Cups I would say as many as 25 first team guys and you should only have to send them to the reserves occasionly to get fit. Rotate them in and out a bit and you should be fine.

If you are not expecting a lot of cup and Europe games then I would say 22.

Reserves....it doesn't matter. I don't think young players benefit a huge amount from playing reserve along with the usual U18 games so if you have a lot of reserve players I wouldn't be too worried about U18 players not getting into those games. I normally keep my reserve players to 10-12 or less and just let the rest be filled in by the AI managers and let them pick U8 players.

Yep, with my liverpool team i have 25 exactly, not too much, never short staffed either, :)

Archived