unhappy players

So lets say you have a player who seems happy, is an integral part of the first team and you don't want to loose him (Clint Dempsey and Brede Hangeland on Fulham). Another team comes along and shows interest and you issue a "hands off". Then your player gets mad. Whats the right answer if you don't want to loose someone. Should you entertain all offers for players? wouldnt that give the player the idea that you want to get rid of him? I want all my first teamers to know that they are wanted by me. should i look at someones offer then offer the same player an upgraded contract?

MM

No, ignoring is the best choice. If they come in with an offer add one of their best players in exchange that usually works to get the team to give up. If you straight reject the offer the player will get upset. If you negotiate it too high, they get upset. If you negotiate high, but not high enough, the offer may be accepted. At least if you do an exchange best case it's turned down, worst case you get a replacement and cash. One other option is to accept an offer if it is good, but make sure the deal comes at the end of the season. Again it gives you a year or 1/2 season to find a replacement and work him in. It also has a great shot of being rejected by the other team.

It's pretty realistic that a player will want to move to a better club, and depends on their personality as well. I try and get all the good players on my side (favoured personnel, favoured club) before this happens, then they're less likely to leave. If there seems to be a lot of interest at once, i usually offer a new contract before the inevitable offers come in, then for a while they're happy to have signed a new contract.

Archived