Team selection

Ok, new to the game and board so be gentle.

Playing my second season and have have had limited success. Season 1 I chose the team myself based on each players ability for position, I tried to keep the same team week in week out, finished 12th. Second season I changed formation and again chose the team on what I thought were the strengths. Gave the team ten or so weeks for the formation to bed in and results were on the up, I seemed to hit a really bad injury spell so had at one point six first teamers out, because of my limited squad I asked the assistant manager to give me his team selection.

He changed quite a few players into positions I had never played them, I went with it and battered the opposition, second game I’d have left the team as is and went for it again but I cleared the team and asked the assistant manager again to select the team, he put in different players again for the formation. I’ve now tried this technique for 10 or so games and he seems to be swapping the team around a lot and to be fair to him with a lot of success.

This is going against my principals of letting a team/system bed in, he seems to be swapping players every week and I have to say a lot of success. Just wondering if anyone else lets the assistant manager choose his team or swaps players regularly?

I dont let the assistant pick the team, but I always squad rotate. It seems very hard to keep the same team for more than 2 or 3 games because of fitness.

I always hire an Ass Man with JA20, JP20 and Tactical Knowledge 20 (but usually only 16). I then get the Ass Man to pick every squad. I make some changes if I think the Ass Man is worng but it is mostly trhe Ass Man's choice.

Used to be more particular about picking but there are too many factors to account for when picking.

I never ask my AssMan to choose a starting eleven for me, just got used to do this kind of job by myself. But did you noticed some kind of pattern from the players he selected? Is your AssMan choosing the players based on their fitness? If so, then it means he's just setting the turnover you should have set.

I know it's kind of difficult, especially for small clubs, to have 2 times a starting eleven, but I always tried to do so, whatever the quality of the subs, as on the long run of a season, I always manage to get more points in average than if I just stick to my best 11.

EDIT: I usually keep the turnover until there's only 5-8 games to go, that way, the crap players are still fit enough if during the final sprint a need some backup, their value increases because they've had first team fitness, so this gives me the opportunity to sell them at the end of the season if I need some cash. The problem that may arise of this is that these crap players may also want to have better wages at some point, making it difficult to keep up with clean finances up to the end of the season. But I don't see another way to keep a small or medium club afloat because results and success are what will bring you money after all.

I never ask my AssMan to choose a starting eleven for me, just got used to do this kind of job by myself. But did you noticed some kind of pattern from the players he selected? Is your AssMan choosing the players based on their fitness? If so, then it means he's just setting the turnover you should have set.

I know it's kind of difficult, especially for small clubs, to have 2 times a starting eleven, but I always tried to do so, whatever the quality of the subs, as on the long run of a season, I always manage to get more points in average than if I just stick to my best 11.

EDIT: I usually keep the turnover until there's only 5-8 games to go, that way, the crap players are still fit enough if during the final sprint a need some backup, their value increases because they've had first team fitness, so this gives me the opportunity to sell them at the end of the season if I need some cash. The problem that may arise of this is that these crap players may also want to have better wages at some point, making it difficult to keep up with clean finances up to the end of the season. But I don't see another way to keep a small or medium club afloat because results and success are what will bring you money after all.

thanks for that, I just didn't know if he wqas choosing players for the opposition or just fitness. I guess I'll keep a closer watch on who he puts in and leaves out and make a judgement then.

Archived