Relegated because of an offside call...

Well well well...

My West Ham side was relegated today and I am quite distraught.

I was playing against Man United at Old Trafford and holding a reputable 0-0 draw, but this was a MUST WIN game.

Even more so, I could have been safe when Morimoto slotted home a winner with minutes to go.

Yet to my amazement the flag went up and it was ruled offside and it clearly said OFFSIDE.

I was absolutely shocked at the call, I replayed it over and over to see if it was a good call or not.

The players did not even protest.

Quite frankly, this is an absurd call and I want to be angry at the ref but he isn't real, so I will shake my fist at SI for programming this kind of realism! :D

The whistle went moments later and it was all over.

I will be in the Championship next season (If I get sacked I will just re-add the manager).

With players like Milevskyi & Alex coming in at the end of the season, I guess I should be back to the EPL in no time. :o

costmethegameatmanunite.jpg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also hate the damn tackles.

Today I got a penalty because my defender decided to run a circle around the opposition player. He also got red carded.

The match system needs to be improved alot, not for graphics neccisarially(but that would be nice) but just to improve the engine in general.

(Also, the goalkeeper throws are ********, they sometimes throw the ball sideways into the touch line near the corner area.)

agree with pevulo u shun be gettin west "am relegated my friend, i suggest that if yo do get sacked you take the first league 2 job offered 2 u :p

aside from that its an awul call, but then again look at Henrys hand ball (yes i am still going on about it)

Gut-wrenching; glad to see you've taken it well.

I was just reading in the guardian online yesterday how Holland's famous total football World Cup only happened because of a similar decision. In their final qualifying match for the finals they needed a draw against Belgium who were on equal points and hadn't conceded a single goal in the whole campaign. In the dying seconds with the score at 0-0 a Belgian player scored but it was disallowed for offside. There were THREE Dutch defenders between him and the goal!

That is pretty awful but about on par with some of the decisions you see each week? The offsides that annoy me the most is when a ball is played into the centre and an offside is given for a player standing out on the wing, nowhere near the ball. I also wouldn't mind the players having a bit of common sense about it all. If one of them is stood in an offside position and the ball is played through for someone else, they shouldn't run for it. Footballers are thick but they tend to get that much right.

Does look a dodgy decision, but surely you should be looking at games where you dropped points against teams in and around the bottom half of the table and not one decision against probable title challangers, just because its the last game of the season

Why not. Adds to the realism.

Totally agree, many goals in real life are offside and allowed, or not offside and disallowed.

Wasn't a prem club actually relegated because in one of their games they scored (a winner) but it was wrongly disallowed, even tho replays showed otherwise.

Besides, I am in the english 11th div, where most players have attributes of 1, yet you see them running around the pitch like Pele. Point being, it IS only a game.

offsides been broken and even more broken in 10.2... maybe in fm20.03 they will fix.. probably wont even then..

about realism.. fa is already considering one more ref for offsides and dubious fouls.. only reason video isnt included so far is only cuz its unfair to poor countries aka Africa..

so no it doesnt add realism..

especially when there are offsides when taking freekicks of shooting at goal.. those are just bugged and broken no matter which way you look at it

u got relegated because u wasnt good enough over 38 games.

do u really not expect to get a few dodgy decisions when your playing at old trafford????

Also agree, you simpy weren't good enough. Since all footie strategy games are weighed in favour of the human player, in the sense that they have far more creativity and freedom and can also sign whoever they want whenever they want (within reason ofc).

It is simply a case of employing absolutely lousy tactics and being even worse in the transfer market than what rafa benitez is in real life.

offsides been broken and even more broken in 10.2... maybe in fm20.03 they will fix.. probably wont even then..

about realism.. fa is already considering one more ref for offsides and dubious fouls.. only reason video isnt included so far is only cuz its unfair to poor countries aka Africa..

especially when there are offsides when taking freekicks of shooting at goal.. those are just bugged and broken no matter which way you look at it

But Africa is not a country?

agree with pevulo u shun be gettin west "am relegated my friend, i suggest that if yo do get sacked you take the first league 2 job offered 2 u :p

aside from that its an awul call, but then again look at Henrys hand ball (yes i am still going on about it)

hahah so what if he got west ham relegated, its his game save, he can get chelsea, man utd relegated if he wants. hes playing the game how he wants. why would he take up a offer from league 2? he already said hes going to re-add himself is he does get sacked.

and the henry thing, yeh big deal we see hand balls every week in all the leagues that go unpunished, big deal. would you rather see france or ireland at the world cup LMAO...thats a easy answer....nothing against irish people but its to do with the quality of football and players.

Has there never been a mistake by a referee's assistant over an offside in real life?

btw that picture proves nothing as it isn't from the point the ball was kicked ;)

If the player is still in an "onside" position after the ball is played and is running goal wards its nigh on impossible for the player to have ever been in an offside position in the first place.

Come on use your noggin lad.

Yes it does add realism.

Which FA is considering an extra ref? Video evidence will never be used because Sepp says 'no' and until he's detthroned it won't happen. There are many more reasons than just being unfair on the CONTINENT that is Africa (don't get me started on the lack of education on these forums), one of the main ones being that the controversial decisions keep football on the back pages of every paper, on every sports program and website, and as the main topic of conversation in pubs up and down the country and across the world. That kind of exposure you cannot buy.

Even if video evidence was introduced, there are still issues that will be inconclusive so nothing is ever perfect.

If its a 'bug' then post it in the bugs forum with evidence and the good people at SI will look at it.

Oh yeah and your 'shift' key or 'Caps Lock' is clearly broken.

As I stated, that was the best picture I could get from watching it many times.

Its silly to say the ball is mid air, because the ball is CLOSER to the player and he is onside, so if the ball were at the players foot, given the momentum of the player is toward the goal, he would be even more onside.

I also know my team was lousy all season. I did not say that I was relegated because of this offside call and not because of the performances, but if that goal had stood, I would have been safe.

There is no need for people to be abusive and idiotic so often - it is quite frustrating to read absolutely stupid posts and so much aggression and rudeness - I guess a lot of you must have been brought up in negative house-holds and live unhappy lives. :p

As I stated, that was the best picture I could get from watching it many times.

Its silly to say the ball is mid air, because the ball is CLOSER to the player and he is onside, so if the ball were at the players foot, given the momentum of the player is toward the goal, he would be even more onside.

I also know my team was lousy all season. I did not say that I was relegated because of this offside call and not because of the performances, but if that goal had stood, I would have been safe.

There is no need for people to be abusive and idiotic so often - it is quite frustrating to read absolutely stupid posts and so much aggression and rudeness - I guess a lot of you must have been brought up in negative house-holds and live unhappy lives. :p

Not if he was running backwards, then ran forwards again! :D

Because humans make errors. The PC KNOWS when its offside or onside, thus the game atually makes a descision to rob you.

That can`t be right.

Exactly, the computer knows exactly which it is, either offside or not offside, therefore it needs to be programmed to get it wrong on purpose to reflect real life.

Because humans make errors. The PC KNOWS when its offside or onside, thus the game atually makes a descision to rob you.

That can`t be right.

It works both ways though. What if you were 1-0 up in a must win game, the computer scores, and the assistant kindly puts his flag up for you. It is just part of football.

It works both ways though. What if you were 1-0 up in a must win game, the computer scores, and the assistant kindly puts his flag up for you. It is just part of football.

How often does that happen? Serious question.

If i works out 50/50 whats the point of having it in the game? If it doesn`t then it shouldn`t be in the game.

Its a part of the game due to human fallibility, If you had the choice would you want every decision to be right? There is no need for it here.

In real life, referees make mistakes

therefore, in the game, referees make mistakes, as this clearly keeps up realism

How could you have a credible football manager game without the offside rule? And for the record, the opposition have just as many goals ruled out for offside as I do. It is in the game, because it happens in football.

But the game DOESN`T make mistakes. Thats the point. It CHOOSES to make a wrong call.

And who mentioned not having the offside rule?

So if you want the offside rule, how do you suggest it works, as you don't seem to like the current method?

The game is simulating real life, in which people make mistakes. The way that it does this is by choosing when and where to make them. Do you want EVERY decision to be correct? I would call that unrealistic

Just like real life there are errors made by the officals in game. Legion22 do you not think that to have no errors would be unrealistic?

The logic that "the game CHOOSES to make a wrong call" could be applied to the whole game - it chooses if you score or miss a chance, if a pass is sucessful or not, but to look at it like that takes away the fun :D

Just like real life there are errors made by the officals in game. Legion22 do you not think that to have no errors would be unrealistic?

The logic that "the game CHOOSES to make a wrong call" could be applied to the whole game - it chooses if you score or miss a chance, if a pass is sucessful or not, but to look at it like that takes away the fun :D

Thank you. Exactly the point I was trying to make. Only you made it a lot better:D:D

Totally agree, many goals in real life are offside and allowed, or not offside and disallowed.

Wasn't a prem club actually relegated because in one of their games they scored (a winner) but it was wrongly disallowed, even tho replays showed otherwise.

Besides, I am in the english 11th div, where most players have attributes of 1, yet you see them running around the pitch like Pele. Point being, it IS only a game.

its different in real life though. in real life such decisions are a genuine mistake. in the game, the computer and ai are just arbitrarily deciding whether you should suffer a poor decision or not. its just not right.

its different in real life though. in real life such decisions are a genuine mistake. in the game, the computer and ai are just arbitrarily deciding whether you should suffer a poor decision or not. its just not right.

To reflect "real life" football as closely as possible in a simulation, there is no other way of doing so then for SI to program in the occasional bad decision. I don't think it is possible to do it any other way - not until you can create an AI which is not infallible, and by that stage we'll all be floating brains in jars anyway.

Except no. The AI knows exactly where every player is when the ball is played. Thus any wrong call is an active attempt by the AI to "make a mistake." The AI has to decide to make a wrong call. This is not a "mistake" Its cheating.

And no, you cannot apply that logic to the rest of the game, because there are no vairables, no calculations, nothing is dependant on stats or fitness. Its a black and white call.

Except no. The AI knows exactly where every player is when the ball is played. Thus any wrong call is an active attempt by the AI to "make a mistake." The AI has to decide to make a wrong call. This is not a "mistake" Its cheating.

And no, you cannot apply that logic to the rest of the game, because there are no vairables, no calculations, nothing is dependant on stats or fitness. Its a black and white call.

I ask you again. What do you suggest?

What I think you seem to be implying sounds highly unrealistic to me and is not the direction that SI should be heading in

Don`t be so dramatic. Are you seriously telling me that the AI not making wrong offside calls would nullify fm10?

The very fact that the players have stats is a much greater jar to realism because last time I checked, John Terry didn`t have a box letting us know his pace, heading, tacvling etc.

Its not possible for the AI to make a mistake, so why code it deliberately make a "mistake" This flies in the face of every defense made against the "Cheat" allegations made against Football Manager. The game DOES cheat and anyone who says differently now is lying.

Archived