Co-ownership in Italy

I'm having trouble being able to co-own players. I am able to bid on a full transfer but not to co-own. I am outside the transfer window so I'm not sure if that's why it's not even an option for me. Also, is there an age limit or a limited amount of times a player can be co-owned??

Can someone explain this all to me, thanks.

I'm having trouble being able to co-own players. I am able to bid on a full transfer but not to co-own. I am outside the transfer window so I'm not sure if that's why it's not even an option for me. Also, is there an age limit or a limited amount of times a player can be co-owned??

Can someone explain this all to me, thanks.

I'd also like some clarification about how exactly Co-ownership of a player works...

Team A owns 100% of a player's rights. Team B comes with an offer to buy 50% of his rights (it's always 50-50 and only during a transfer window.). The offer informs whether team B wants to take the player to their squad if the offer is accepted or leave him with his current squad. Co-ownership can be for 1 or 2 years. Team B can also include a "buyout clause" which can be used during the co-ownership deal.

If team A accepts the offer, team B offers the player a contract. If the player accepts the contract the deal goes through.

Now both teams own 50% of player's rights. If one of the two teams wants to buy the player's other 50% they can make a bid for him at any time, even outside a transfer window.

1 year after the co-ownership deal has began, both teams are invited to make an offer to buy the player's other 50%. Best bid wins. If the deal was for 2 years, one of the teams can decline on making an offer and the deal stays as it was until next year. Usually it's the team at which he currently plays that chooses to decline. At the end of the 2nd year both teams are again invited to make an offer and this time they can't decline. Best bid buys the player.

There's also the scenario where team C wants an already co-owned player. They have to offer both A and B separate offers for the player inside a transfer window. If both A and B agree, team C offers the player a contract and if accepted they sign him 100%. You can not buy 50% of a players rights if he's already co-owned by 2 other teams. You either buy him outright or you get nowt.

This can be useful for smaller teams as they get paid for a player and they may continue to use him for up to 2 years. Bigger teams usually do this for younger players who they believe can become good enough in the future.

That's about it. Any questions, I'll be happy to help.

It came about when a crappy Italian manager was afraid to sell a player because he was unsure if it was his tactics or not that was the underlining issue.

The chairman sold the player, but only half, and wanted to still have access to the player, but also make some money while he decided if he should sack this "crappy" manager or not.

:D:p

Example : Mannini at Napoli under Donadoni. Was sold as did not feature in his plans. Sampdoria signed the player, he is now one of Serie A's best wingers.

Napoli luckily has co-owned him and wants to buy him back at the end of the season.

• 1 month later...
Guest TomasAlex

Ok. Ok. So I'm Roma and I want to perminantly and exclusively sign Marco Motta, a right back who is co-owned by Udinese. It will cost me about 8m to buy the other half, but do I have other options? He is at his third year at the club - what happens at the end? From what I can tell, we would both have to make bids for the player, but does this bid begin at the start of the NEW transfer window, when both clubs have been allocated more transfer funds, or does this occur during the tail of the current season, using the funds which I was allocated at the start? Sorry for all this, an answer would be greatly appreciated!

(edit: The reason for all this being that I have reached the January transfer window and I want to know if I can spend money on other players now and leave this co-ownership malarky for next season, of if I need to use the money I have now to buy him. Thank you!)

Team A owns 100% of a player's rights. Team B comes with an offer to buy 50% of his rights (it's always 50-50 and only during a transfer window.). The offer informs whether team B wants to take the player to their squad if the offer is accepted or leave him with his current squad. Co-ownership can be for 1 or 2 years. Team B can also include a "buyout clause" which can be used during the co-ownership deal.

If team A accepts the offer, team B offers the player a contract. If the player accepts the contract the deal goes through.

Now both teams own 50% of player's rights. If one of the two teams wants to buy the player's other 50% they can make a bid for him at any time, even outside a transfer window.

1 year after the co-ownership deal has began, both teams are invited to make an offer to buy the player's other 50%. Best bid wins. If the deal was for 2 years, one of the teams can decline on making an offer and the deal stays as it was until next year. Usually it's the team at which he currently plays that chooses to decline. At the end of the 2nd year both teams are again invited to make an offer and this time they can't decline. Best bid buys the player.

There's also the scenario where team C wants an already co-owned player. They have to offer both A and B separate offers for the player inside a transfer window. If both A and B agree, team C offers the player a contract and if accepted they sign him 100%. You can not buy 50% of a players rights if he's already co-owned by 2 other teams. You either buy him outright or you get nowt.

This can be useful for smaller teams as they get paid for a player and they may continue to use him for up to 2 years. Bigger teams usually do this for younger players who they believe can become good enough in the future.

That's about it. Any questions, I'll be happy to help.

Good explanation.

One thing SI, IRL teams can delay the decision on the player only if both of them agree, if one of the two clubs doesn't agree then the two clubs MUST make a bid for the player (the better bid win the player).

Ok. Ok. So I'm Roma and I want to perminantly and exclusively sign Marco Motta, a right back who is co-owned by Udinese. It will cost me about 8m to buy the other half, but do I have other options? He is at his third year at the club - what happens at the end? From what I can tell, we would both have to make bids for the player, but does this bid begin at the start of the NEW transfer window, when both clubs have been allocated more transfer funds, or does this occur during the tail of the current season, using the funds which I was allocated at the start? Sorry for all this, an answer would be greatly appreciated!

(edit: The reason for all this being that I have reached the January transfer window and I want to know if I can spend money on other players now and leave this co-ownership malarky for next season, of if I need to use the money I have now to buy him. Thank you!)

Your offer will be scaled off (sp?) from your next transfer budget (so don't worry if you have no money left).

Halfway between a transfer and a loan, if you like.

It's an incentive for small teams to sign players as they don't have to buy a full player - more money plus they may never really be keeping the player for that long anyway.

For big teams it's a buy plus loan essentially if you can outbid the other team comfortably. Otherwise it's a bit like hedging your bets.

In practice though the two 50% deals in total will be more expensive than buying a full player outright, so do note that.

Archived