Do Arranged Transfers Happen in Real Life?

I'm a US fan so my knowledge of Euro. football is a bit spotty, so can anyone name any examples of players who had an expiring contract in the summer yet arranged a transfer of clubs before the transfer window begins?

Thanks.

I'm a US fan so my knowledge of Euro. football is a bit spotty, so can anyone name any examples of players who had an expiring contract in the summer yet arranged a transfer of clubs before the transfer window begins?

Thanks.

macmanaman

john bosmon the man who started it all

and currently fran merida

As an American the one you should be familiar with is David Beckham. As soon as he arranged his transfer to Galaxy, his Real Madrid manager Fabio Capello refused to ever play him again. Until they were sinking without him that is. He changed his mind and Beckham stepped up to win them the title.

Sol Campbell is another good example.

But as mentioned above Fran Merida has just signed a pre contract deal with At Madrid.

I believe Pires did the same when he left Arsenal for Vilarreal.

And that's just the examples from Arsenal that I can think of.

Sol Campbell is another good example.

But as mentioned above Fran Merida has just signed a pre contract deal with At Madrid.

I believe Pires did the same when he left Arsenal for Vilarreal.

Didn't know you'd lost Merida. That'll teach Wenger for kidnapping him and his family away from Barca. :D

Edu - Valencia

Flamini - AC Milan.

Didn't know you'd lost Merida. That'll teach Wenger for kidnapping him and his family away from Barca. :D

Not really a big deal; He hardly plays and Ramsey is gonna be the new midfield star at Arsenal...They're pretty much prepping him to take over Fabregas' position.

Steve Sidwell and Tal Ben-Haim were rumored to signed for Chelsea long before their official announcement in June.

This isn't quite the example you were looking for, but Podolski agreed to a transfer in Jan to Koln from Bayern that was to happen after the season a couple of years ago.

Don`t the rules say that when there are less than six months left of the current contract the player is free to negotiate terms with other teams and sign a pre-deal as well?

Yes, although in England if it is another English club then they can only do that in the last month or so of the contract (might be six weeks).

Yes, although in England if it is another English club then they can only do that in the last month or so of the contract (might be six weeks).

Yes, I noticed that on FM. I still don`t really get it though, because the 6-month rule is... Can`t express myself exactly, but let`s say it`s global. Thus it should apply to English clubs as well.

Yes, I noticed that on FM. I still don`t really get it though, because the 6-month rule is... Can`t express myself exactly, but let`s say it`s global. Thus it should apply to English clubs as well.

It's actually more European than global, but I get your point.

I think it is strange that English clubs have to wait for English based players, especially since it means other clubs may get them before ours have a chance.

Archived