Landon Donovan and Chelsea

I, personally, think this is priceless.

"Poland take on the U.S.A. in a friendly at Stadion Slaski on Saturday with the match being seen as an opportunity for the national coaches to experiment with their teams. Critics are singling out Chelsea's Landon Donovan as the man who could provide the biggest threat to Poland."

My response: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, this does underscore the near-realism of the game (Donovan is on loan at Everton), but...good lord...the starting AMC at Chelsea? Again, I say, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA."

The end.

I just noticed that Chelsea is using Donovan as a super sub in my save.

He came on for Lampard against my Hull and took a corner kick that led to an assist. -___-

Also, I agree with Puevlo. Donovan is underappreciated by the other side.

I like Donovan and wish him well at Everton, but let's be honest. The guy has been awful in europe. His two stints in Germany were terrible and he looked well out of his depth. That said he is great in MLS and steps it up for the USMNT.

patch 10.2 is funky. Its been a known bug and is going to be addressed. In the previous patches in FM10 I signed Donovan on a free and OMG he was freaken amazing for me with Portsmouth, averaged a goal a game and was playing in AMC. Pure quality. In 10.2 he does get used as a supersub mostly.

Chuck Norris wears a Landon Donovan T-shirt.

YES.

On a more serious note, I have the up most belief in Donovans ability...hes undervalued I think it was a mistake for him to sign a new long term contract because I think he can do it in england. If hes head is in the right place and he can stay consistent im sure he will have a good stint at everton.

I think that Landon Donovan is an utter $£&! Because he was the utter Noob for Chelski who scored the 2 goals against Wigan to win the 2009/2010 for Chelsea... They won by 2 points ahead of me.. All because his 2 goals.. The Bloody Yankee, Should of had his work permit rejected!

Chelsea would not sign Landon Donovan in a million years. Are people really suggesting that he would be a better option than Deco in real life, which the game is based on.

Depends who the manager is. Deco is technically better but his all-round contribution is very low. In contrast, Donovan is a very hard worker, good team player and very physically strong. Deco may be a better technical player but Donovan would be a very handy player to have. On that basis there could be an argument for signing, say, Tim Cahill rather than Ronaldinho.

There are a few issues with teams signing sub-standard players on 10.2, but this isn't necessarily one of them.

There are a few issues with teams signing sub-standard players on 10.2, but this isn't necessarily one of them.

I would say that it is. As mentioned before he was hardly on fire in the German league and was mainly just a squad player for Bayern. When you consider that Chelsea have been reported to be trying to sign one of there leading stars in Ribery it puts it all into perspective.

I would say that it is. As mentioned before he was hardly on fire in the German league and was mainly just a squad player for Bayern. When you consider that Chelsea have been reported to be trying to sign one of there leading stars in Ribery it puts it all into perspective.

He was signed as a short term loan to Bayern as cover for off form Toni and Klose iirc, and played in a role that is not his natural one. His previous spell in Germany at Bayer was when he was young and maybe he made a mistake joining. He left them for San Jose and was great though.

Owen Hargreaves was just a squad player for Bayern and yet he moved to Man Utd, and although due to injuries in part, it was also due to him not fitting their system at times or just not performing or contributing.

Don't listen to media transfer rumours either, they're mostly bollocks. So what if they want Ribery? That's pretty irrelevent. Good teams buy players on their ability, their role and if they'll fit their system. No point buying wingers if you play without them, for instance.

Chuck Norris wears a Landon Donovan T-shirt.

True... but Superman wears Landon Donovan pyjamas.

I'm with Hershie on this. Donovan does have a bit of a reputation both in the game, and IRL, this is nothing like the Barca buying Neil Alexander thingy.

True he is a good player with a good rep. In response to your Neil Alexander comment - in my save they 'snapped up' Andre Bikey!!!

So what if they want Ribery? That's pretty irrelevent.

I don't think that it is irrelevant. If you would have read the whole sentence you will have seen that I mentioned it to put it into perspective. I'm trying to make the point that someone like Ribery is a proven quality player that teams like Chelsea would want. Whereas Donovan is a failure in Europe and has recently signed for Everton. Granted they are a top 8 team in England and regularly qualify for Europe, however, they are no where near Chelsea's ability or reputation.

I'm not saying that Donovan isn't a handy player, but would Bayern have loaned him if there forwards weren't having a form crisis? Or would Everton have loaned him if they didn't have any injury problems? Why has no one signed him permanently?

All I'm arguing is that Chelsea wouldn't want to sign Donovan which happens in game so therefore it is unrealistic.

I'm saying that they might want to, and it depends on who's in charge, what type of player they want, how they'll use him, how much they'll play him, and what system they're planning on playing.

Donovan certainly isn't a failure in Europe, rather an unproven quantity or a player whose lack of adaptability has hindered his early career. Who he has or does play for is irrelevent, as is the fact that the side may be looking to sign a player who is clearly a top player from one of the player's previous teams. Ribery if he joined Chelsea would maybe be a regular, but would involve a change in style and tactics, while Donovan would only be a squad player, but one who can fit into the system, a la Joe Cole. Jagielka, Arteta, Cahill, Yobo, Howard, Yakubu, Rodwell - all Everton regulars who'd be very decent squad players (at least) for a top club.

Donovan has been loaned as cover at times when the MLS teams aren't playing. He hasn't been sold as of yet as, as maybe the star player of the MLS, LA will presumably be demanding a high price, and the player may also want to stay in America. Bayern decided against signing him as they did not believe he would be worth it (due to his presumably high wage demands and the fee involved) and prefered to focus on young talent. If he was going for the right price or wanted to take a wage cut, assuming he was over his homesickness issues, I'm sure a top team would be interested in signing him.

I'm saying that they might want to, and it depends on who's in charge, what type of player they want, how they'll use him, how much they'll play him, and what system they're planning on playing.

Well that's pretty easy as we know who is in charge of Chelsea, their style of play, and what type of player they would be looking for. And in this case it is pretty clear that Chelsea do not want to sign him as they have not.

Donovan certainly isn't a failure in Europe, rather an unproven quantity or a player whose lack of adaptability has hindered his early career.

Has Donovan succeeded in Europe? I think the answer is undoubtably no. Whether he has poor adaptability, was played in the wrong position, didn't have time to gel into a new system is neither here nor there on this one. He has clearly not succeeded in Europe.

Donovan has been loaned as cover at times when the MLS teams aren't playing. He hasn't been sold as of yet as, as maybe the star player of the MLS, LA will presumably be demanding a high price, and the player may also want to stay in America. Bayern decided against signing him as they did not believe he would be worth it (due to his presumably high wage demands and the fee involved) and prefered to focus on young talent. If he was going for the right price or wanted to take a wage cut, assuming he was over his homesickness issues, I'm sure a top team would be interested in signing him.

Good players demand high transfer fees and wages. If no one has offered to buy him or is unwilling to pay his high wages that usually means that the player is not worth it. Therefore, as a conclusion I don't think that there is any doubt that Chelsea signing Donovan is unrealistic because of the above points, which is what this debate is all about. Like I said in previous posts he is a decent player, but for a top 4 team? I don't think so.

Well that's pretty easy as we know who is in charge of Chelsea, their style of play, and what type of player they would be looking for. And in this case it is pretty clear that Chelsea do not want to sign him as they have not.

They haven't signed him, and indeed would be unlikely to, however there's no way to say that he wouldn't for sure. IMO he's as much the type of player they'd be looking for as Ribery, simply as he'd fit their system (4-1-2-1-2) much better. Are you saying that they can simply sign anyone they'd like to though? :confused: At present he's contracted and highly valued, and indeed Chelsea don't need him particularly for a fee. If he was going cheap/free though, who knows.

Has Donovan succeeded in Europe? I think the answer is undoubtably no. Whether he has poor adaptability, was played in the wrong position, didn't have time to gel into a new system is neither here nor there on this one. He has clearly not succeeded in Europe.

Has he failed though? What do you even mean by succeeding? Are you trying to suggest that unless you are a star player at a top club you are a failure? I never said he has succeeded, but he certainly hasn't 'failed' either. :confused:

Good players demand high transfer fees and wages. If no one has offered to buy him or is unwilling to pay his high wages that usually means that the player is not worth it. Therefore, as a conclusion I don't think that there is any doubt that Chelsea signing Donovan is unrealistic because of the above points, which is what this debate is all about. Like I said in previous posts he is a decent player, but for a top 4 team? I don't think so.

Clubs demand the transfer fees depending on if they need the money and if they want to sell the player. I'm sure a number of clubs have enquired about his availability and been told he's not for sale - and we already know he's on high wages and happy playing there. They're unlikely to sign him right now because they don't need him, and would have to pay a high price for him, which they can't afford to so much for squad players. He's an international quality player and certainly one capable at the top level. Would he be a Chelsea regular? Very unlikely. But if the price was right and they were after a player to compete or provide backup for the 2nd striker or AMC role, would he be a very handy player to have? Undoubtedly.

Let's also take a look at some of his statistics..

2001–2004 - San Jose Earthquakes - 87(32)

2005-present - LA Galaxy - 121(64)

2000-present - USA - 120(42)

120 caps by age 27 for the 14th best nation in the world. On average a goals/game ratio of about 2:5, and arguably yet to peak. That's in an admittedly average league, but one with a fast growing reputation. Compare his record to someone else (a striker) who's moved from a 'lesser' league to the Premier League, eg. Eduardo, and it suggests even if he's unlikely to continue such a goalscoring record, he has the ability to succeed at the top.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Comparing him to Eduardo doesn't neccesarily work for me as Eduardo had a better goalscoring record at his previous club, something like a goal every 1.5 games (checked wiki and its every 1.48 games), so you have to assume he's a better goalscorer if we're judging them in those terms.

I certainly haven't heard of any interest from any of the top teams around Europe. I clearly just don't rate him as highly as you. I would say that he failed in Europe as he made no impact at either club he's been at. You said yourself Bayern didn't follow up their interest in him. If he was that good why is he only joining Everton, and not a Champion League team?

Also, with the 120 caps thing. The amount of caps that you win isn't necessarily a good indicater of how good a player you are. USA generally produce average players. Yes USA are 14th in the world rankings but they aren't exactly the best barometer of a teams abilities.

[sarcasm] A high profile player being signed by a club like chelsea even though he isnt the best player in the world... arguably based on his merchandising and money spinning attributes? :O surely not!!! [/sarcasm]

proof..

look up one Server Jeparov... Uzbekistan captain and a player chelsea wanted on trial with a view to buy ... ahem

[sarcasm] A high profile player being signed by a club like chelsea even though he isnt the best player in the world... arguably based on his merchandising and money spinning attributes? :O surely not!!! [/sarcasm]

proof..

look up one Server Jeparov... Uzbekistan captain and a player chelsea wanted on trial with a view to buy ... ahem

Exactly what i was thinking, it would be a clear example of cash over class, Landon would put Chelsea at the forefront of main fans of football in america, and i am sure he joined Bayern last season. But i am sure the game doesn't see it like that so maybe just a bad choice on behalf of the gaffa' .

Also, I agree with Puevlo. Donovan is underappreciated by the other side.

You know Puevlo is a self-appointed joker?

Owen Hargreaves was just a squad player for Bayern and yet he moved to Man Utd, and although due to injuries in part, it was also due to him not fitting their system at times or just not performing or contributing.

He wasn't a squad player, unless you mean he didn't play when he was injured. He was a pretty crucial part of the side, even more so when Ballack left.

Archived