Board Accepting Bids?

Is it realistic, at all, in this situation for a board to accept a bid for a player above your head?

• The Club is very sound financially.
  • The Player in question is 20 years old, continuing to improve (will be worth far more in a season or two) and your lead striker.
  • The Player in question is on a very small wage.
  • The Player in question is contracted long term so there is no chance of him leaving on a bosman etc.
  • The Board is delighted to take the money for the player and give it all back to you so you can spend more money than you recieved signing a significantly worse player (on higher wages).

I can understand the board accepting a bid for a player in a situation where:

• The player is unhappy, has expressed a desire to leave and could be leaving on a free/bosman if not sold.
  • The club is not sound financially, is making a loss/and/or is in debt.
  • The board makes a judgement that the cash you are recieving for the player will buy a far better player than the outgoing talent.
  • The board makes it clear to you that it is looking to invest in facilities/stadia and has accepted the bid to help fund it.

When none of these are remotely applicable, doesnt it seem utterly absurd that you have a situation where the board pawn off your best player, without reason or explaination. It isn't greed or a desire to hoard cash by the board - they are chucking the money straight back into the transfer kitty. I am just lost as to why this flawed feature still exists given it is devoid of any logic whatsoever.

Another example of a 'feature' that has seemingly escaped 12 months worth of polish.

Heres to the next 12 months.

I have had this problem. I bought a player called llan (brazilian) for 1.1mil...He scored 20 goals in 23 games, I was top of the league with Bristol City in the championship. Napoli cam in with a bid for 3.3 and the chairman stepped in and accepted the offer. I still managed to get promotion but am still trying to replace him as he was quality. To top it off the fans blamed me for letting him go!!!!!

Yeah. It happened outside a transfer window for me so Im awaiting my fans backlash.

As I said, I understand the reasoning for why a board may intervene, but it just seems to be at random... and given they give you all of, or a significant majority of the cash back to spend however you see fit... it doesn't seem to make sense in the slightest.

Not to mention that the board accepted an absurdly low price in the first place.

I completely agree with you. On my Notts County save i bought Otamendi in the summer transfer window. Then by October the same year Marseille had made an offer for him and the board accepted it.

First of all, why would a team try to buy a player who’s only been at a club for 3-4 months?

Also, the profit made from the sale was only 1-2 million which is surely not enough for the board to feel that the offer must be accepted. Also, the payment was based entirely on clauses with no cash being paid upfront so it would take 3 years for the money that i got from his sale to match what i paid for him in the first place.

The issues seem to be simply that the board is not modelled intelligently enough currently to be making these kind of decisions.

If it was, proper consideration would be given to:

• What is the cash needed for?
  • Will the money be immediately reinvested into transfers?
  • Will the board adjust expectations after selling players against your will?
  • Can the cash buy a suitable replacement?
  • Is the board intelligent enough to make a judgement call on this? (do they look at key stats, personality, preferred moves learnt) or just do a blind CA check and flog the bastard... I doubt many of us have much faith that the AI has a clue what a good player is and isn't in this game.
  • Informing the manager why their player has been sold.
  • etc

It's one of those features that must be optional IMO.

I had an excellent left back and one very good one. That latter wasn't happy about his playing time and a good offer came in so I sold him. Seeing as my "star" LB pretty much never got injured, I was happy with having some decent youngster as a backup. Then at the start of the next season after I spent my money on strengthening other areas of my squad which needed so, an offer not significantly higher than what I sold the first LB for came in and the board thought it was too good to refuse :rolleyes: For that money I couldn't find anyone near as good as my first choice LB was and he was never unhappy or wanted to leave either.

I really dislike features that are put in the game just for the sake of "realism" even though most of the time they actually make the game more unrealistic like in this example where the board simply aren't yet intelligent enough to recognize when an offer really is "too good to refuse".

i have found the soulution to this problem. you should set your player asking price what you think you will accepted the offer, then board will only accept behind your back if it match asking price if it less then board will let you deal with it.

it simple actually hope this help

hope you understand what i mean

...features that are put in the game just for the sake of "realism" even though most of the time they actually make the game more unrealistic like in this example where the board simply aren't yet intelligent enough to recognize when an offer really is "too good to refuse".

Nail on the head? :p

Out of curiosity, what team are you managing?

I agree with you, by the way. Just want to avoid that board :D

Venezia. I have worked my way up from C2/A to Serie B. Starting my 3rd season in Serie B, my fith season in charge of the club.

I have £4m in the bank. £2.5m of that is available transfer kitty that I havent touched. My wage budget is within bounds. The player was originally purchased for £650k, raised for two seasons (multiple tutorings and teaching preferred moves) and the game now considers his price to be £1m. The board accepted £1.7m.

I have sold SIGNIFICANTLY less valuable & able players for much more.

A very good post by the first poster. I can understand when my player is sold when i have poor finances, but when i have agood amount of money, i must ask why? i believe it is still dusty, as it is a rather unpolished feature.

Gill just sold Berbatov to Sunderland for 11M.

Lucky you... he's toilet!

It's down to the interference of the chairman.

On FM08 Thaksin Shiniwatra was notoriously bad for it. I bought Javi Martinez at the beginning of the season for £16.5m - played him most games and at the end on the season Real bid £15mm and the chairman says yes. I offered him a new contract in an attempt to keep him but no joy.

In past fms this has worked well as far as I could tell. The board only accepted bids if the club needed the money. I think it become less likely to happen if you had been at the club a long time.

It hasnt happened once in this fm. So I don't know what its like.

In 5 seasons of my game I have had 1 inquiry for a player (which when I gave my valutation they pulled out) and 1 offer for a player (which was no where near his value so I turned it down). Never managed to sell a single player.

I would love my board to accept a bid or even a have a bid. I'm going into administration if I can't sell a player soon.

It kept happening to me with Rangers, I'd won the CL twice in a row and had about £90m in the bank in around 2018. In the end I set the asking price of every player to zero, which meant thats all clubs would ever bid so all offers were easily rejected.

One down side about this though is you get about 5 bids a day for most of your players during the transfer windows which is really annoying.

If you really want to keep your player just offer him out for £0 when the chairman accepts the offer. Then accept all bids of £0, your player hopefully accepts one of these then you can cancel it unlike when the board go over your head.

Cheating yes, but sometimes you just dont want to loose that 30+ goal a season striker

It kept happening to me with Rangers, I'd won the CL twice in a row and had about £90m in the bank in around 2018. In the end I set the asking price of every player to zero, which meant thats all clubs would ever bid so all offers were easily rejected.

This is what I do. If I ever get some interest in any players i dont want to sell, I just set the asking price to 0 and then reject all bids.

I agree that the board overstepping issue should be looked at. Right now it seems like the decision being made on whether or not the board steps in is not very accurate and is perhaps based on just a few criteria which do not cover a number of cases, such as those highlighted by this thread

Setting the players asking price to 0 works, but it feels really stupid to do sometimes. Cause its like you are using one problem in FM (the fact that managers will always bid 0 if you set that as the asking price) to fix another problem (board stepping in when they shouldnt)

It is hard to pick and choose where you are going to decide the game has shortcommings and keep a fair and honest game, if you start with some of the ideas offered in the thread you may as well go the whole hog, and once you do that theres no point playing the game at all. Ive just had to accept what happened, but hopefully raising the debate on this forum should lead to it being looked at in FM2011 (or 10.3? good joke!)

It shouldn't really be up to the players to find cheeky workarounds to avoid the AI's bizzare and inadequate decision making.

Archived