Kinda sick of this...

Alright, not really ranting just pointing out something that has been bothering me lately.

I'm playing as Chelsea, and although I'm doing very well and can't complain about that, there are a couple trends which seem to persist.

1) Against weaker opponents, we'll pressure all game long, miss shot after shot, their keeper will make wonder saves, 4 corners in a row, etc etc, won't score. Then the first opportunity the opposition gets, boom goal.

2) Against very strong opponents, we'll fight all game, finally net a goal (or take the lead late on) and within the next 5 mins they equalize. It seems going into a defensive position / making defensive subs and whatnot actually makes the other team more likely to score, and you're better off sticking to the original plan, even if it's an attacking formation and there's only stoppage left. Can't tell you how many times I've battled against Arsenal, Man U, Man City, or Liverpool all game, clawed back into it in the 80th-85th, and watched them come right back with a goal. Or have a game where it's 0-0 until the 85th or so, score, and have them rally right back.

Anyone else notice similar things?

Yeah, there's a lot more to defensive strategy than simply letting them flood all over you.

You might wanna check out the numerous threads in the tactics area. I've held off United and Chelsea for 30 minutes apiece at 1-0 up overnight. Man U game finshed 2-0 at home,

The Chelsea match I went to contain after half time, with get ball forward, clear ball to flanks, exploit the flanks, hassle opp, get stuck in. Cue 2-0 on the break.

Then went play even safer and take a breather in the last 10 minutes and got a third goal.

I think the problem is that the match engine gives so much emphasize to the touchline instructions. So you might have some success if you would play them around a little bit like Indi75 said. Though in general I totally agree with you, it happened a lot to me too but I finally found the solution: when you think you should not concede a goal, go more attacking (i.e. If you're 'standard', go 'control'; if you're 'attacking', then go 'overload'). It totally works for me and I score even more. If I choose 'contain', however, 95% of the time I will concede the goal :)

Ah..I don't utilize touchline instructions much, sometimes I'll issue a pump into box when we're taking too many long shots and my quality strikers aren't having any opportunities, or take more/less risks when applicable, but that's about the extent of it, I'll start looking into that more.

I guarantee that simply going defensive would have seen me run over as in previous games/seasons.

It's worth sharing that I find gradually adding instructions helps too, a sudden 'wholesale' change of multiple instructions or the tactic/formation itself also leads to mistakes and confusion.

Ah..I don't utilize touchline instructions much, sometimes I'll issue a pump into box when we're taking too many long shots and my quality strikers aren't having any opportunities, or take more/less risks when applicable, but that's about the extent of it, I'll start looking into that more.

For too many long shots you should use the 'work ball into box' shout. Pump the ball in the box is only handy of you have the right players, like big tall strong forwards that are good in the air, or if you set your strategy to 'overload' whilst trying to get back into a game.

For too many long shots you should use the 'work ball into box' shout. Pump the ball in the box is only handy of you have the right players, like big tall strong forwards that are good in the air, or if you set your strategy to 'overload' whilst trying to get back into a game.

All of my forwards are superior in the air, first had Drogba/Iaquinta, then Drogba/Dzeko, now Dzeko/Altidore, and I usually do use it alone with overload, but I see what you're saying. I always thought work/pump ball into box were nearly the same, with one being players would cross into box other being they would dribble into box.

All of my forwards are superior in the air, first had Drogba/Iaquinta, then Drogba/Dzeko, now Dzeko/Altidore, and I usually do use it alone with overload, but I see what you're saying. I always thought work/pump ball into box were nearly the same, with one being players would cross into box other being they would dribble into box.

No, 'work ball into box' means a short passing buildup, keep the ball on the ground and try to play your way to your strikers.

'Pump ball into box' (which I use a lot with good results from doing it) just means punt the ball into the box for your strikers, so yes big, strong strikers the likes of Dzeko and Drogba are the right type of players.

Gahhh, same **** again. Up 2-1 over Liverpool at half in League Cup. Went from standard to control, issued a "work ball into box,' "retain possession," and "hassle opponents" shout. Soon enough they made it 2-2, then I came back and made it 3-2 in the 75th. Subbed out two of my defensive players who were tired and having poor games, they score in the 81st AND 86th to win it 4-3. Bullocks.

Gahhh, same **** again. Up 2-1 over Liverpool at half in League Cup. Went from standard to control, issued a "work ball into box,' "retain possession," and "hassle opponents" shout. Soon enough they made it 2-2, then I came back and made it 3-2 in the 75th. Subbed out two of my defensive players who were tired and having poor games, they score in the 81st AND 86th to win it 4-3. Bullocks.

Use defensive rather than control, pass to feet, get stuck in(if you dont have many players on cards)...Btw losing to Liverpool seems pretty normal, even for Chelsea, so I dont really get the moan

Use defensive rather than control, pass to feet, get stuck in(if you dont have many players on cards)...Btw losing to Liverpool seems pretty normal, even for Chelsea, so I dont really get the moan

Eh, it's more along the lines of the manner of the loss. It's like no matter what, unless I am up 2 goals I know I'm going to lose/draw at best. And this is a recent issue, I'm in my 4th season and this is the only cup I've lost, and this will be twice in a row I've failed to win the LC.

try different approaches then not just the 1s that seem to make sense to youu. for instance i wouldnt tell my team to hassle the ball when i have a lead because my players are more likely to move out of position leaving space in behind when what i really wan to do is stay solid and make the opposition work for their goals.

2-1 up at half time. Opp Manager will deliver a "want to see more", the very last thing you do is go control. I wouldn't even go defensive. I'd look to hassle opponents and get stuck in for 10 minutes until the effects wear off.

Then as you progress you start to reign the team in, loook to contain and either break long ball on the counter or retain possession, time waste, and pass to feet woking ball into box.

It all really depends on what you see happening before you.

Go to contain.

If you've got Wingers clear ball to flanks.

If you've not been picking up cards then 'Get Stuck In' to and make the midfield a attritional battlezone.

Get Ball Forward if you've got a pacey striker or a good holding up target man up front.

Take a breather to waste some time.

If not under the cosh look to retain possession, work the ball into box, pass to feet, hassle opponents, and in the last 10 take that breather.

I've bagged lots of goals after moving to protect a narrow lead.

Ouch man..It almost seems better to leave the tired defenders in. Well, it's basically like you're screwed either way. You leave them in, they get exploited due to being tied. Sub em out, and the new defenders need time to adjust to the onslaught and there's a high risk of them sucking. What do you do?

This just happened to me while i was reading this.

4-3.png

3-0 up at half time, switch tired defenders to rest some and lost 4-3........

cant belive it

Bummer, but at 3-0 down the opposition will have just come back from a bollocking, subbing both DC will not have helped as much as thought.

This just happened to me while i was reading this.

4-3.png

3-0 up at half time, switch tired defenders to rest some and lost 4-3........

cant belive it

Thats an awful result, but changing your defence drastically in any match isnt wise. Id never sub more than one defender unless I had to through injury.

Archived