Crashing problem when in-match

Unbelievable. Despite the months and months of crash dumps and all the other stupid little (and not so little) bugs in the game, I finally start to enjoy the game a bit, and get Newcastle in position (ridiculous, I know!) to win the league, the Euro Cup and the FA Cup.

I won the league, lost the Euro cup, and won the FA cup. Brilliant!

I then got a message saying one of my players had won goal of the season, and was given the option to view the top three goals. Like a complete idiot who has learnt NOTHING about the fundamental instability of this damned game, I decided to do something slightly out of the ordinary (I've learnt never to ask FM2010 to do anything outside it's core functionality - e.g. NEVER look at a player's stats while the match is in progress, etc.) and actually look at the goals.

BIG MISTAKE...

arrayoutofbounds.th.gif

Had to kill the process through Task Manager, and stupidly hadn't saved the game for about 8 fixtures, so will have to replay all the final Prem games, plus the two finals.

I refuse to accept that I'm the only one having these problems, and assume that there are many out there suffering the same infuriating errors, crash dumps and stupid bugs in FM2010. SI - you owe your customers a PROPER fix, an explanation and an apology, you really do.

And before someone from SI tells me I've posted this in the wrong place and that it should go in the Bugs forum, I know that already. I'm posting it here so as many people as possible see it, so that SI can't brush it under the carpet like the rest of the bugs I've posted on. The constant crash dumps were bad enough, but this is the straw that broke the camels back as far as I'm concerned.

I've been playing and raving about FM for years now, and have constantly recommended it to mates of mine. I'm feeling less and less like buying another release, and I'm DEFINITELY not recommending FM2010 to people. It's a total shambles.

Unbelievable. Despite the months and months of crash dumps and all the other stupid little (and not so little) bugs in the game, I finally start to enjoy the game a bit, and get Newcastle in position (ridiculous, I know!) to win the league, the Euro Cup and the FA Cup.

I won the league, lost the Euro cup, and won the FA cup. Brilliant!

I then got a message saying one of my players had won goal of the season, and was given the option to view the top three goals. Like a complete idiot who has learnt NOTHING about the fundamental instability of this damned game, I decided to do something slightly out of the ordinary (I've learnt never to ask FM2010 to do anything outside it's core functionality - e.g. NEVER look at a player's stats while the match is in progress, etc.) and actually look at the goals.

BIG MISTAKE...

arrayoutofbounds.th.gif

Had to kill the process through Task Manager, and stupidly hadn't saved the game for about 8 fixtures, so will have to replay all the final Prem games, plus the two finals.

I refuse to accept that I'm the only one having these problems, and assume that there are many out there suffering the same infuriating errors, crash dumps and stupid bugs in FM2010. SI - you owe your customers a PROPER fix, an explanation and an apology, you really do.

And before someone from SI tells me I've posted this in the wrong place and that it should go in the Bugs forum, I know that already. I'm posting it here so as many people as possible see it, so that SI can't brush it under the carpet like the rest of the bugs I've posted on. The constant crash dumps were bad enough, but this is the straw that broke the camels back as far as I'm concerned.

I've been playing and raving about FM for years now, and have constantly recommended it to mates of mine. I'm feeling less and less like buying another release, and I'm DEFINITELY not recommending FM2010 to people. It's a total shambles.

Im sorry dude but all i could do whiles reading your post was laugh. LOL dude you had it tough. If only you had known the array accsess out of bounds bug is fixable just by continuatly hitting the x button. Then it soon goes away and leaves you alone. LOL If only you had know that. And try putting your game on 3 rolloing auto saves on prefrences.

Absolutely no chance it is due to a problem on your end? I guess the fact I, like many others, haven't had a single crash is irrelevant.

Like a complete idiot who has learnt NOTHING about the fundamental instability of their own system

Fixed.

Look thorough the forums, if this were true they would be filled with stories like yours. They aren't. Sure there are people with problems but show me the PC game forum that doesn't have a few of these. It is a fundamental part of PC gaming, no matter how much testing is done certain incompatibilities will always sneak through, the sheer variety of systems out there makes it inevitable.

typical unsympathetic FM community :)

In keeping with the typically hysterical, overblown, exaggerated, unwelcome tirade of teenage angst.

A tiny, fixable 'Array Out Of Bounds' error, usually caused by a corrupt XML file, usually the PC's fault as opposed to the game, and instead of simply asking for help we are presented with another typo-laden tantrum of epic proportions.

Sympathy not an option :thup:

There's quite a few array access out of bounds threads around the forums. One of the common answers is to delete your cache folders.

How do I delete my Cache files?

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders.

XP:

My Computer

'Tools'

'Folder Options'.

The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

VISTA and 7:

My Computer

'Organize'

'Folder and Search Options'.

The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Once this is done, follow the instructions below:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go to the “Football Manager 2010” Folder.

5. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Wndows Vista and 7:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go to the “Football Manager 2010” Folder.

6. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

You can try that or have a further look around the forums. TJJESSE gave you a fix, too, but I've never tried it.

SI don't want these problems to happen and I am sure they do care as well as will be sympathetic should you post a bug report. PC games are hard to get right. There's so many different hardware configurations to make sure the game works on that there are always going to be problems cropping up. It's unfortunate and unavoidable.

The best you can do is protect yourself by saving regularly and making sure all your drivers are up to date. You are going to get bugs in PC games and you just have to work your way around them.

Too many different graphics cards etc out there.

Don't give up on the game because they have really done a good job for a game the size FM is. I've been in your position when I hit an error with the league scheduling in Scotland. I was very angry at the time but I realise this is a quality release and I was just unfortunate. I complained a lot and the SI devs that replied understood my anger, so they will understand yours.

I am sure Championship Manager has as many problems and their match engine isn't as advanced as FMs.

In keeping with the typically hysterical, overblown, exaggerated, unwelcome tirade of teenage angst.

A tiny, fixable 'Array Out Of Bounds' error, usually caused by a corrupt XML file, usually the PC's fault as opposed to the game, and instead of simply asking for help we are presented with another typo-laden tantrum of epic proportions.

Teenage angst? I don't think so. Typo-laden? Really?

If you haven't had problems, then good for you. I'm happy for you. There's no need for you to be so supercilious.

All I've had with this release is problems. And I am a constructive member of the FM Community in general, but lost it last night.

I constantly post up bugs, screenshots, and saved games to help identify problems, and have been frustrated by the lack of real, helpful response from SI. It's been going on since the game came out, so I think I'm entitled to be a bit annoyed.

Games shouldn't be released in this state. Simple as that. As usual, FM10 is amazing in most ways, but it has a lot of problems that need fixing. Being satisfied with it in its current, bugged state would be like buying a car and saying to your mates 'Yeah, it's fantastic. The windscreen wipers don't work, neither does the stereo. Oh, and you have to climb through the window to get in it. But apart from that, it's brilliant.'

Being satisfied with it in its current, bugged state would be like buying a car and saying to your mates 'Yeah, it's fantastic. The windscreen wipers don't work, neither does the stereo. Oh, and you have to climb through the window to get in it. But apart from that, it's brilliant.'

The thing is, the windscreen wipers and stereo work for most of us and we can get in the doors as usual. Perhaps you drove up a kerb?

Don't give up on the game because they have really done a good job for a game the size FM is. I've been in your position when I hit an error with the league scheduling in Scotland. I was very angry at the time but I realise this is a quality release and I was just unfortunate. I complained a lot and the SI devs that replied understood my anger, so they will understand yours.

Thanks fella, but I've been posting up stuff about the crash dumps I get every 4 or 5 games and various other errors, including now this array access out of bounds one that came up last night, ever since FM's release date, and have had little in the way of construtive response, which is why I got a bit frustrated and hissy last night. I'm glad your complaints were addressed, but mine have not been yet.

Absolutely no chance it is due to a problem on your end? I guess the fact I, like many others, haven't had a single crash is irrelevant.

Good for you if you've had no problems, lad. Here...have a medal.

I, however, have had problems. And if you bothered to look through the forums you'll find I am far from alone.

Not a terribly helpful post, but good to know you haven't had a single crash. Congrats.

Im sorry dude but all i could do whiles reading your post was laugh. LOL dude you had it tough. If only you had known the array accsess out of bounds bug is fixable just by continuatly hitting the x button. Then it soon goes away and leaves you alone. LOL If only you had know that. And try putting your game on 3 rolloing auto saves on prefrences.

Thanks for the sympathy. The array access out of bounds error is merely the latest in a string of ridiculous, frustrating errors I've had, with crash dumps being the worst culprit. Yeah - I lost it a bit last night, but it was very annoying to get yet another new error when I'd finally managed, through various workarounds and avoiding doing certain things in the game that create problems, to actually start enjoying the game, then that happened.

I've found since 10.2 that all of the copious amount of crashes have disappeared. I assume there must still be a few lurking around, but I haven't had a crash yet since the patch came out.

I was hoping 10.2 would fix mine, but it didn't. Still getting crash dumps and various other problems. Glad it's working for you though!

Hello

These problems are many but I think you should give thanks to FM makers for such beautiful game and not give bad words about makers.

Thankyou

Hello

I do give thanks to makers. I have done for over 10 years now. SI/Sega are geniuses, but that doesn't mean that when they put out a bugged release they shouldn't be pulled up on it.

Thank you!

The amount of bugs in Football Manager 2010 is low compared to Football Manager 2009!

No way, mate!! Not a chance!

I had very few problems with FM09 apart from a few hiccups like the regen players deciding to retire rather than going to a smaller club (didn't we all enjoy that one!), but the kind of errors I'm getting are fundamental. Crashes, freezes etc. etc., not just little things that need tweaking as was the case for FM09.

Absolutely no chance it is due to a problem on your end? I guess the fact I, like many others, haven't had a single crash is irrelevant. Look thorough the forums, if this were true they would be filled with stories like yours. They aren't. Sure there are people with problems but show me the PC game forum that doesn't have a few of these. It is a fundamental part of PC gaming, no matter how much testing is done certain incompatibilities will always sneak through, the sheer variety of systems out there makes it inevitable.

By the way John, doing this kind of thing...

Originally Posted by tjb2376

Like a complete idiot who has learnt NOTHING about the fundamental instability of their own system

...and changing a person's words from their post in your own to make it look like they said something that they didn't is possibly the saddest, lowest method of online debate possible. You should be ashamed. It's the kind of thing the BNP do when they are losing an argument, and it is pathetic. Don't do it.

...and changing a person's words from their post in your own to make it look like they said something that they didn't is possibly the saddest, lowest method of online debate possible. You should be ashamed. It's the kind of thing the BNP do when they are losing an argument, and it is pathetic. Don't do it.

You're probably right, I think it was obvious to anybody it was a joke but I apologise anyway. I won't do it again if you don't state an opinion as a fact, which is what caused me to do it in the first place. Still the point I made stands.

You seem to be running 'AlacrityPC' which could actually be at fault here. That is by no means supported by the first party developers I'm afraid :)

Really? I've raised that with SI before and it's never been cited as something that would cause a problem.

Do you know if there are any alternatives out there?

Actually, I used to use Alacrity with FM09 as well, and never had any problems with it, so I kind've doubt it is that, but I'm totally willing to try not using it to see if it makes a difference. I'll run a few test games without it on and see what happens.

Cheers!

Really? I've raised that with SI before and it's never been cited as something that would cause a problem.

Do you know if there are any alternatives out there?

Actually, I used to use Alacrity with FM09 as well, and never had any problems with it, so I kind've doubt it is that, but I'm totally willing to try not using it to see if it makes a difference. I'll run a few test games without it on and see what happens.

Cheers!

I'm not saying it will be the problem. Just unfortunately when looking at these things it could be one hell of a number of things. I saw that running in the background, the vast majority of people wouldn't be running it and thus it could well be the problem (Also knowing how much memory management has been changed from FM09 - FM10)

Try running it again as normal and if the issue pops up at the same point again please post in the bugs forum with the information then upload your saved game so they can have a look over it and try and fix the issue for the next patch (Even if it is down to that application) : http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=154054

You're probably right, I think it was obvious to anybody it was a joke but I apologise anyway. I won't do it again if you don't state an opinion as a fact, which is what caused me to do it in the first place. Still the point I made stands.

To me, from where I am sitting, the fact that FM2010 is bugged is not an opinion. It is a fact.

All I need to do to get a crash dump (at least 1 out of 3 times) is:

1. Start a match

2. During the match, click on a player to look at their stats or whatever.

3. Hit 'Back' or 'Continue'

and...Crash Dump.

Does that sound like something that could possibly be called a bug to you?

It's wonderful that you are not experiencing this, but I am, and so are others.

Check this thread. There are plenty of others...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=177975

I'm not saying it will be the problem. Just unfortunately when looking at these things it could be one hell of a number of things. I saw that running in the background, the vast majority of people wouldn't be running it and thus it could well be the problem (Also knowing how much memory management has been changed from FM09 - FM10)

Try running it again as normal and if the issue pops up at the same point again please post in the bugs forum with the information then upload your saved game so they can have a look over it and try and fix the issue for the next patch (Even if it is down to that application) : http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=154054

Thanks. I'll give it a go without Alacrity. Neil Brock already has a saved game of mine, and he's just sent me a mail this morning to say he's having a look at it, but hasn't been able to reproduce the errors I'm getting as yet. I'll wait to hear from him.

Thanks. I'll give it a go without Alacrity. Neil Brock already has a saved game of mine, and he's just sent me a mail this morning to say he's having a look at it, but hasn't been able to reproduce the errors I'm getting as yet. I'll wait to hear from him.

I'll be very interested to know if it does the trick. So keep us updated!

Glad to see SI looking at your problem. They are terribly uncaring, unprofessional people aren't they? ;)

I still think your thread title was a little sensationalist and unnecessary.

FM10 being bugged beyond belief is your opinion, it is definitely not a fact.

Glad to see SI looking at your problem. They are terribly uncaring, unprofessional people aren't they? ;)

I still think your thread title was a little sensationalist and unnecessary.

FM10 being bugged beyond belief is your opinion, it is definitely not a fact.

Yes. I admit it was a bit much, but I have finally had contact back from SI after pleading with them for months to take a proper look at the crash dump errors I was getting. It wasn't a knee-jerk post. It was a post born of months of frustration with very little in the way of constructive response from SI. It is fantastic that they are on the case now, I fully appreciate their help, and I hope that they can help me solve the problems so that I can go back to enjoying the game as I have for the last 10 years and being an advocate rather than a complainant. That's all I want!

Hilarious.

Yes, a stupid answer to a stupid analogy. When you buy a car you drive it on the same roads as everybody else and put in the same petrol/diesel as everybody else. When you buy a game you put it into a system that may be totally different to any other out there. Seriously, why do people keep coming up with the car analogy?

What you all do have to understand is with a small software house such as SI, they don't have the ability to look at absolutely everyone and deal with them personally. So although you may feel frustrated they really aren't purposely ignoring you.

Its wholly against both their work ethic and their best interests to leave bugs in the game, every time one gets fixed it makes the game that little bit better, which is why they have always (Without fail) utilised these forums to find and fix as many bugs as possible for their patches. Being able to get it right on the first release is all but impossible with the complexity of the game now.

• Administrators

Was going to close this thread but seems to have calmed down a bit now, we are looking into this, but it's one of those that because of certain system configuration we can't get it to reproduce so isn't easy to find an answer to. Hopefully we'll be able to help.

Oh and I'm changing the thread title here ;)

Was going to close this thread but seems to have calmed down a bit now, we are looking into this, but it's one of those that because of certain system configuration we can't get it to reproduce so isn't easy to find an answer to. Hopefully we'll be able to help.

Oh and I'm changing the thread title here ;)

Neil, I've come across pretty badly here, and the rant I had last night wasn't helpful. I know you lot at SI haven't got unlimited time on your hands, and that looking at problems for individuals when you have a customer base of millions isn't exactly easy. I just got a bit annoyed that I have constantly posted about the issues I'm having, and have only really had a collection of generic responses telling me that the cause is everything under the sun except the game itself. My system, the number of leagues I'm running (3!), the size of database (Small), third party apps, facepacks (none of which I'm using) etc. etc. I've tried to be as helpful and constructive as possible by posting in the correct place on the bugs forum, uploading system specs and saved games and screenshots, and I've told numerous people step by step how to reproduce the main error I'm having, but have heard very little back. That by way of explanation for my flip out. Sorry.

Please feel free to delete the thread if you like. If you are able to have a look at the latest saved game I posted to see if you can isolate the issue then I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

If you want to upload a save to filefront or wherever I would be happy to see if your issues are reproduced on my system. Not sure what that will gain, but it will at least give you an idea if it is an in-game issue or a hardware incompatibility issue.

To me, from where I am sitting, the fact that FM2010 is bugged is not an opinion. It is a fact.
And yet there are countless people on these very forums who are probably like me, have played the game for several hours a day every day since it was released, who have NEVER had the game crash on them. The people who get consistent crashes like you are claiming to be suffering from are in an infinitesimal minority, and as such you're either doing something really ****ed up in the game or it isn't the game's fault, simple as.

What operating system are you using, by the way? I'll be honest and say that after your rant I'll be ****ing myself laughing if it's Windows Millenium Edition, which is notoriously bug-laden...but yeah, serious question because looking at the screenshot it sure as hell isn't Windows 7 or Vista. Unless you're using XP with the Windows Classic style, I'd advise you remember to look on the back of the box in future because your ageing O/S ain't supported by this game (or by very many modern games, for that matter)

• Administrators

In fairness tjb2376 has done nothing wrong, he's provided us with every bit of information we've asked him for, and if I were in his shoes I may well have reacted the same way so please cut out the abuse and patronising. Cheers.

All I've had with this release is problems. And I am a constructive member of the FM Community in general, but lost it last night.

Yes, it seems you did, but at least in the cold light of day things are getting somewhere.

I've had problems too with 'Array', but getting Steam to validate files is priceless in terms of fixing it every time.

I confess, it's always been a clickable popup, and therefore gone away with the game crashing, but that's more to do with the way your PC handles it than the what the game has done.

Did you install through Steam?

Yes, it seems you did, but at least in the cold light of day things are getting somewhere.

I've had problems too with 'Array', but getting Steam to validate files is priceless in terms of fixing it every time.

I confess, it's always been a clickable popup, and therefore gone away with the game crashing, but that's more to do with the way your PC handles it than the what the game has done.

Did you install through Steam?

Hang on a second. My original post may have been a bit over the top, but you insulted me after reading it!

Here's what you said...

And now you want to come across all helpful? I don't think so.

I'm pretty certain that I can do without the help of someone who basically called me a hysterical, angst-ridden teenager who is incapable of communicating in coherent English!

Thanks anyway though... : /

And now you want to come across all helpful? I don't think so.

I'm pretty certain that I can do without the help of someone who basically called me a hysterical, angst-ridden teenager who is incapable of communicating in coherent English!

Thanks anyway though... : /

That's just cutting off your nose to spite your face...

He cut his nose off with the opening post:thup:

No helping some people, even after they've stopped crying.

Nope, not at all. I'm getting the help I need from SI.

I therefore have no need to interact with people whose first thought upon reading a frustated post was to mock the person who posted.

Thanks anyway.

The amount of bugs in Football Manager 2010 is low compared to Football Manager 2009!

As other have said, that may be true, but fm2010 does appear to be less stable.

Judging by the feedback in the bugs forum, a larger minority are experiencing crashes with fm2010 than fm2009, which is obviously very frustrating for many players. Nevertheless, I'm sure SI are working around the clock to fix these issues.

Archived