Freezing

I take you mean when you first set up the game and loading the information?

If I recall the issue is more to do with windows mistaking the game as crashing because you can't interact with it whilst its doing this process (It tends to bring up a greyed out window over the entire game)

Unfortunately I've never found a way to fix it, other than of course not repeatedly clicking everywhere to make it happen.

So does this mean I will always have to reload my game?

Well if its the issue I've mentioned, you have no need to, you just wait until the game has loaded and it's fine? :)

Or is your issue differing from the one above?

You know the small grey box that appears when its loading a new match its there, so will it be fine if you leave it? How long must it be left for?

I never have to wait more than a minute for it to sort itself when it comes to loading matches.. Also, try changing your match type to '2d classic' and see if that removes that issue completely. Obviously if you want to watch it in 3d it's something you'll just have to live with currently :)

I take you mean when you first set up the game and loading the information?

If I recall the issue is more to do with windows mistaking the game as crashing because you can't interact with it whilst its doing this process (It tends to bring up a greyed out window over the entire game)

Unfortunately I've never found a way to fix it, other than of course not repeatedly clicking everywhere to make it happen.

Ah - so this one is Window's fault? Brilliant!

Mine does the same sort of thing.

i start a new save,

i click on one of my staff and the game just freezes.

i`ve done the following.

complete uninstall then re-install (removed everything to do with FM10)

all drivers up to date

defragment

new patch 10.2 (was fine before update)

i use steam

Specs:

ADM 64 Processor 3500+

2.20 Ghz

1.5 GB RAM.

I dont get it because it works fine on my laptop.

I'm also having problems with freezing. I'm wondering if it has to do with the patch, possibly? I just installed the patch 10.2

What's happened is, I recently reformatted my hard drive and started fresh with Windows. Before I did this, FM10 ran without any problems whatsoever, besides the fact that it was slow. Now, my computer runs faster but FM10 freezes. It will load up and let me play for a while and then it suddenly decides to freeze (giving me the soccer ball icon). However, if I leave it for 10-15 minutes, it will unfreeze (unless I minimize the window or open something else, then it's normally doomed). Task manger shows it as "Not Responding," but sometimes it does come out of this. However, if it does come out of the freeze, it will freeze again instantly the next time I change screens in game.

All of my drivers are up to date, the game is patched up, I've tried deleting my cache, I've tried disabling my anti-virus/anti-spyware/whathaveyou, I don't play it with any background programs running, I don't use Steam, and I am running with only 9,000 players in the database (well below the recommended limit). I've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling it.

Any advice on how to stop this from happening is greatly appreciated... I'm a little confused because it used to run fine before the reformat, and now by all means it should run the same but even faster (due to a nearly empty hard drive).

Cheers.

Edit: It normally freezes when I try to view the profiles of staff members or players, but sometimes it will just freeze when I click continue.

Mine has started to freeze now, it was fine before on my laptop. Takes a few more seconds to load then normal.

Wondering if it a in game cache thing? Does anyone have the instructions to delete the catche or any built up files we don't need?

Yes, it didn't help me however but you'll need to turn on the option to view hidden folders, and then go to:

C:

Documents and Settings

<user name/handle>

Application Data

Sports Interactive

Football Manager 2010

In that last folder, just delete the folder "Cache."

iirc its when its creating the cache for the skin etc so its loading it up, have you also got releod skin on confirm as having that tick box checked will effect it, so once its loaded chek it and ensure its just use skin cache, let us know if that works

Reload Skin on confirm is unticked and use skin cache is ticked. That I know for sure.

To be honest it has been slowing down the last couple of seasons. The first 3/4 season was ok. I had no problems. I am wondering if its because of the history stats that are stored?

The saved game file is around 84mb when COMPRESSED. It's normally just over 100mb when not. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Or is it to do with the amount of scout reports I have? Like the thread starter I have over 6000 scout reports pending. I don't think its that tho as it runs fine on my desktop just not on my laptop.

My laptop is spec is 4gb (I use around 2gb for the game). so it can't be that?

I don't know how to stop the freezing.

deleted the cache folder but it keeps on cumming back,

it seems to be when ever i click on a generated player or staff the game freezes.

i cant see its anything wrong with my pc. i don't know how to get round it ive tried everything

i can :confused:

Guys you don't delete the cache folder you delete the settings and cache folder.

You'll only need to delete the cache and settings sub folders contained there. This will result in your game's preference settings being reset.

Your save games are located in your (My) Documents\Sports Interactive\games folder.

See the bottom instructions taken from a SI mod.

This has seem to made an improvement with me.

To do this follow either of these paths depending on your Operating System.

Windows XP:

C:\Users\<User Name\App Data\

Vista and 7:

C:\Users\<User Name>\App Data\Roaming

Once you can see inside those folders delete the Sports Interactive Folder.

If you can’t see those folders you will have to make “Hidden” files viewable.

For Vista and 7:

In a window, go to 'Organize'->'Folder and Search Options'->'View'-> and select 'Show hidden files and folders'.

For XP:

Make sure you are able to see hidden folders:

When in a window, go to 'Tools'->'Folder Options'->'View'-> and make sure 'Show hidden files and folders' is selected.

Well, my freezing has subsided, for the most part. How? I'm not sure. But I am careful now when I play FM.

I restart my computer and then close my background apps and my anti-spyware/anti-virus program. Then I insert the disc and load FM10. It seems to be working fine, but noticed yesterday it did at one point freeze a few times (similar symptoms as I originally posted), but restarting the game seemed to cure it.

I hope everyone else gets their problems fixed, it's hard to live without this game and sometimes it's frustrating enough just playing it. ;)

I was playing on it last night after I posted my last post regarding the cache files. It appears it has started freezing again. The long you play it the longer the cache files builds up on data (obviously) but SI cache files seems to double in size quite fast (maybe due to the leagues, data generated over the in game month). You have to keep deleting the SI folder on a regular basis to keep the memory clean.

Deleting the Cache, SI folder is only a short temporary fix.

Also my mistake for not reading the thread properly. It appears you don't delete the whole SI folder but just the cache and settings. Will edit the post

You'll only need to delete the cache and settings sub folders contained there. This will result in your game's preference settings being reset.

Your save games are located in your (My) Documents\Sports Interactive\games folder.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived