Athletic Bilbao Basque only policy

"The club is known for its cantera policy of bringing young Basque players through the ranks, as well as recruiting top Basque players from other clubs (like Joseba Etxeberria or Javi Martínez). Athletic official policy is signing professional players native to the greater Basque Country, including Biscay, Guipúzcoa, Álava and Navarre (in Spain); and Labourd, Soule and Lower Navarre (in France). Still, in recent times, this policy has been somewhat relaxed and players with direct Basque ancestry or with no Basque ancestry but formed in Basque clubs have played for the team."

this is a snippet from the wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_Bilbao

in a recent conversation with a friend it came up that Athletic Bilbao only sign Basque players, on reading this ive noticed the policy has been "somehwat relaxed" but i have noticed there whole squad is spanish at the very least. i was wondering has anyone ever managed them in the game and is this policy reflected in game for example if i was their manager and tried to sign Berbatov would the board block the transfer or would fans call for my head

I've noticed this sort of thing happen before; Chivas and Saprissa both are clubs that only play/purchase/develop Mexican and Costa Rican players, respectively, but in-game I've seen the teams sign foreign players. Such a thing would never happen in real life (and would outrage their fans) as their was recently a Chivas player that was discovered to have been born in America, hence he was immediately loaned out to Chivas USA and will likely never play another game for the parent Chivas club.

Archived