Journeyman Career Game question

So, I am still playing 2009, but I doubt that matters.

My goal is start low and move clubs to rise up to top level.

I started with Rushden in the BSP. Promoted first season. I am now 1st in L2 with more than half the season gone.

I have applied for a few jobs to no avail. No one has yet indicated an interest in me.

I am just wondering, how long should I expect interest from higher clubs to start?

Usually around midway point in the seconds season clubs start throwing job offers at me. I advise you just to wait for the clubs to offer you the jobs becsue if you start applieing for other jobs the rushden board wont like that and well you will be sacked

You will probably struggle to get higher jobs at all. In 09, I tend to find that reputation increases so slowly that it's very rare to get a higher job offer. I always used to start with a rep a notch higher than what I actually wanted for career games.

You will probably struggle to get higher jobs at all. In 09, I tend to find that reputation increases so slowly that it's very rare to get a higher job offer. I always used to start with a rep a notch higher than what I actually wanted for career games.

I've found it to be pretty good in the past, although I've mainly played FM08 and FM10 in terms of career games. It's hard when you first start out but that's how it should be in my view.

I've been linked with some good jobs in Serie C1 after winning Serie C2 with my current side in FM10. You really need to win things to get that reputation boost and you cannot expect to move much higher up. If you win the Blue Square Premier then you're probably only really going to get interest from the top BSP clubs and some of the League Two clubs, for instance.

One problem you can have is in applying for jobs while you are still at a club. Essentially, it is best to resign from your current club (or let your contract run out etc.) prior to applying for a new job. Otherwise, the game seems to take into account the potential cost of buying out your contract (i.e. a transfer fee) and it can be hard to move, especially when in the lower leagues. Chairmen in the lower leagues would rather take a punt at someone on a free. This doesn't seem to be so much of a problem when you make it to the top as presumably the top sides will just buy you if they want you.

Going off on a slight tangent, one very good tip is to not get sacked (or leave via an ultimatum). I realise it sounds kind of obvious but it's important to realise that getting sacked will drive your reputation down and make it harder to get jobs. Resigning is fine but a sacking could reduce your reputation and make it tough to get a new job.

What I tend to do is to wait until the end of the season in which my contract runs out. I then simply let my contract run down. You're more likely to get job offers at that time. Even better, if you quit your post and go as a free agent at the end of the season, you should get far more offers. Clubs will be more likely to part with their current manager in order to bring you in if you are 'on a free'. This is what I have noticed anyway.

Hope that helps. :thup:

Cool. Hopefully, I will get some offers. I won BSP year one and I am winning L2 comfortably after 28 games. Also, have a shot at JPT.

I may just quit at the end of the season and see what happens.

I might be wrong but I believe the big issue was:

you can promote time after time but if you don't do it by becoming champions you'll get a lot less reputation.

I figured, but a very good point. So far, 1 champion in 1 year and going for 2 for 2.

I would also guess that if you win a trophy like the JPT that you get a lot more rep than if you finished runner-up like I did in the FAT final first year.

I figured. So far, 1 champion in 1 year and going for 2 for 2.

I would also guess that if you win a trophy like the JPT that you get a lot more rep than if you finished runner-up like I did in the FAT final first year.

I think you get half the reputation boost if you are a losing finalist. Something like that anyway.

Anyway, this awesome thread by Morridin should pretty much answer all of your questions. :thup:

So, I am still playing 2009, but I doubt that matters.

My goal is start low and move clubs to rise up to top level.

I started with Rushden in the BSP. Promoted first season. I am now 1st in L2 with more than half the season gone.

I have applied for a few jobs to no avail. No one has yet indicated an interest in me.

I am just wondering, how long should I expect interest from higher clubs to start?

was trying to get a thread going on managing Rushden, would you be interested in documenting your 1st season?

Archived