Do you put yourself in the game as a player?

Every edition I need to have at least 1 save game with myself in the game as a player. Like last year I put myself in the game as a very talented 16-year-old striker for Feyenoord, this edition I put myself in as a very talented 16-year-old DC for Arsenal. I always try to make it reflect my personality as best as possible, even my skills a little bit, but I must say that I'm not completely honest about my qualities. What I do is that I just exaggerate my strong and weak points. I'm very much a team player, but I always argue with officials and can be quite nasty. And I like to shoot from distance with a lot of power. I have a gift for walking into space and finding space for my teammates with good passing, but I'm terrible at dribbling and I'm not very fast. So my alter ego in FM reflects this.

Usually when I play a game I use my real name when I create a new manager, but when you put yourself in the game as a player this would get confusing so usually I just pick a name of a manager that I like. Like now I'm managing as Willem van Hanegem.

How about you guys? Do you put yourselves in the game as a player? At what position and at what club? What were your achievements? And what manager name do you use? I'll be very interested to hear your stories!

i manage with an alter ego almost every time i start a game, rare i play with my own name.

at some point on every fm i will start a new db where i add a whole bunch of friends with massive pa and the correct favoured clubs etc. then just holiday to see what happens. i never play games where i've created myself like i would a normal game though.

I always set the manager to be me, so I don't ever put myself in as a player. Would feel weird to be playing as a different manager.

I have to admit that it actually is. What's even weirder is that as a manager in this case you have to make decisions about yourself (the player). That can get VERY awkward.

In FM09 I put myself in as a 16 year-old in my team Leeds United, hoping to map "my" career. I was a MC/DMC (since that's my favoured position), with a 200 PA, and signed on as a manager of Leeds. I gave "myself" a debut a year later in the cup and scored on "my" debut. I was very happy with that, but in the summer Tottenham came in with an offer "too good to refuse" by my chairman and sold "me". I played another season but lost the urge to continue. Maybe I should have holidayed a couple of seasons just to see how it goes.

I'm currently 35, by the way. :-(

In FM09 I put myself in the game, since I was technically already in there as a grey player for a team below the BSN/S. I made my attributes as realistic as possible, signed myself for £1k for Farsley Celtic and this is what happened, becoming captain and winning every trophy imaginable in the process - 673 games, 68 goals, 161 assists, 39 MOMs, 6.93 average rating. On 'my' last ever home match before 'I' retired, 'I' made 2 assists, got the man of the match, and lifted the Premier League trophy - a fitting way to end a marvelous career. Currently working as a youth coach at the club, and bizarrely being wanted by Barcelona.

Used to on CM 00/01, maybe 01/02.

Don't need to any more, as a researcher I am generated as a random player at a random club :cool: Youth player if loading down to Blue Square N/S, but with Super Bladesman's file down to level 10 I'm sometimes generated as an older player.

No, already in the game. :)

Pretty crappy though, and I try not to interfere with my career to se where I end up. Normally in the swedish third division or so..also quite weird as I always put myself as the manager, have yet to actually play against myself though.

Since I'm always a manager in my saves, I can't be a player too, so I usually create a son and pop him in. This time I created 17 year old twins with CA of 10 and random PA. They're in the youth set-up of my tier 10 village team so I don't see them going on to conquer the world. I'll follow their career regardless.

On a slightly different point if you are allowed to put yourself as say an International footballer when you start, maybe you should be able to say which club you played for for the majority of your career; it could then have an impact on the jobs you are offered in the game, as well as ''fleshing out'' your back story. Not important obviously, but could be a fun addition.

I've added a player with super potential before now, forgot about them and then found them unemployed 6 seasons down the line, best team was 2 years on the reserves at Athletico Madrid lol. I tried to hire him but by that time my Rushden team was high flying in europe and he was utter pants. Couldn't have had good development.

the only time i ever done it is when i made a team of all my friends in fm07 and fired them into league 1.

at first i attempted to mirror real life abilities then i just said f that as good as possible will do lol, needless to say i didnt even finish one season it was too easy and boring

On a slightly different point if you are allowed to put yourself as say an International footballer when you start, maybe you should be able to say which club you played for for the majority of your career; it could then have an impact on the jobs you are offered in the game, as well as ''fleshing out'' your back story. Not important obviously, but could be a fun addition.

i secnd this as a great idea just to add more fun and depth.

just curious, how do you add yourself to the game? i'm assuming you use the editor, but since i never use it, i have no idea what to do.

Yeah. Basically, what you do is you start up the editor, load up the database and add a new person to the game. Then you just fill in all the attributes you want to possess. It takes a bit of trial-and-error (and patience) to get it right, but it's pretty straight forward. To make it easier, you could look for a player that's similar to you in playing style and check his stats.

Never did this as a player, but the sad man that I am led me to put myself in as a ref a couple years back. Suffice to say that Keith <manager> risked being reprimanded by the fa for complaining about Keith's <referee> performance. Guess us whistlers are a random breed :-)

I creat myself and my friends (who play this game also) and put us on Canada lol thats the only time I play as myself in the game can't play as a club...be too hard to keep me on the team cause Madrid/Chelsea/Man Utd etc...will always bid for him non-stop

I create my self as the goalkeeper i am. In real life im half decent. I been on Manchester Boys and had trials for Manchester United and Stockport County. And as of know im trying to get back in football and by gods grace get a trial with a good team since i am only 15 years of age. Anyway i did create myself in the game as a 17 year old goalkeeper who plays for chelsea. I did over exajerate a bit but not too much. I used my real name and in the game im in the england u21 sqaud though i didnt get picked for the u20 world cup sqaud. I also created 2 other players on the editor to make them seem like my players brothers with the same surename as my player one of them is 16 and chelsea's u18 captain and the other is in the ghanian league i created playing for Great Oylimpics and he is also 21.

I put them all on 100% favoured personal and with the same birthplace also with the same surname to make them seem like siblings. LOL i also take them as my sons on the game and look after them very well and pretend there my sons (even though i created me) who have broken through the youth system

LOL friend

Lol, Well I best get back to concentrating a bit more on FM. There is 2 games left for me in the Prem and i'm top Chelsea have played 1 more game than me and are a point behind me :) So this means I need only one win to secure the title. What better way to win it than beating Tottenham? I'm winning 1-0 so I best look after my game so I secure the win for now.

Season 3 - I drew 1-1 to Tottenham and i'm currently playing Burnley for the title win! To make this relate to the actual thread; No i'm not using a created player based on myself ;) Mainly because i'm the manager..

cool. Im oly in my first season

I might just add something I wrote in another thread - to keep my missus happy I use the editor to make her my chairman 'The Wife'. Leads to some amusing messages. Then I put the rest of the family on the board. My fan spokesperson used to be my sister but they took the nickname function off him in FM10. All harmless cosmetic touches that add a little something to the experience!

I have to admit that it actually is. What's even weirder is that as a manager in this case you have to make decisions about yourself (the player). That can get VERY awkward.

I imagine it is what dating yourself would be like :D

Archived