Rooney can play Goalkeeper?

haha true....but, Man utd did have a situation were they didn't have any fit 1st team keepers and rooney said that he would play in goal if needed. he even went so far as to do the training pre-game as a keeper, along with the keeper that would go onto play

yeah jagielka has played in goal before.

when he was at sheffield, warnock wouldn't name a sub keeper on bench if he was playing as he was a good enough backup in case something happened.

and i rmember in the commentary for an england game at euro 2004 when it was the shootout that thier keepers (Cassilas) used to play as a striker in his youth, and he was taking a penalty at the time)

players often switch positions.

yeah jagielka has played in goal before.

when he was at sheffield, warnock wouldn't name a sub keeper on bench if he was playing as he was a good enough backup in case something happened.

No I think it's just that Warnock never put a keeper on the bench because the chances of the keeper getting injured or sent off is very slim. I don't believe it had much to do with Jagielka's ability in net.

One time against Arsenal, Paddy Kenny got injured and Jagielka went in.

This might explain it better

TBH, that explains nothing, it's scripted.

No I think it's just that Warnock never put a keeper on the bench because the chances of the keeper getting injured or sent off is very slim. I don't believe it had much to do with Jagielka's ability in net.

One time against Arsenal, Paddy Kenny got injured and Jagielka went in.

You're right- though Warnock did try and put a sub striker on the bench who would effectively double up. Jagielka generally would have only gone in goal if they'd used their subs.

TBH, that explains nothing, it's scripted.

You're right- though Warnock did try and put a sub striker on the bench who would effectively double up. Jagielka generally would have only gone in goal if they'd used their subs.

Correct. Although to add, being a Rotherham fan I quite often listen to Radio Shef*ield, and I distinctly remember hearing Warnock say on that he didn't see the point in having a sub goalkeeper on the bench in a league game as there was only a small likelihood of injury/being sent off, so it would be a waste of a sub, and in the unlikely event of it happening it wouldn't affect his team much.

However, he also said that in cup games he thought it was important to have a sub GK, as if Kenny got injured/sent off it could cost them a place in the next round.

Archived