Standard of football in lower divisions..

im playing in the BSP and i have to say what im watching is god awful!

yes i know this is a low league and the player are not great but come on SI they know when to pass and shoot!

some of them cant pass to a players feet..the question is what makes a top player better than a lower player?!

it really really puts me off playing these divisions!

What frustrates me is the manner of mistakes made, at that level of football a lot of mistakes are due to players going after the ball and totally losing position, in FM players forget about the ball and run into position. I also get a bit annoyed at the whole "Oh I've just had a shot, I know I'll just stand here and admire my brilliance, no need to follow it up."

What did you expect? Cristiano Ronaldo poncing down the wing, Torres firing them in from all angles or John Terry playing killer balls from defence?

Non-league football is about fitness over quality, long balls over intricate passing movements and strength over finesse.

When it comes to a quality lower league player I'll go for something reasonable in the player's positions main stats, i.e. 10-12 in tackling, heading or marking for a center back. I'll also go for players with good mental and physical stats over technical ones.

As Forfar my regular captain is a central midfielder with no stats of over 10 for any technical ability yet he has been quality. I also have a striker with finishing of 9 who scores crucial goals regularly and keeps a much better looking striker out of the team currently.

If you buy a striker with finishing of 16 but strength of 5 then he'll get slaughtered.

What did you expect? Cristiano Ronaldo poncing down the wing, Torres firing them in from all angles or John Terry playing killer balls from defence?

Non-league football is about fitness over quality, long balls over intricate passing movements and strength over finesse.

When it comes to a quality lower league player I'll go for something reasonable in the player's positions main stats, i.e. 10-12 in tackling, heading or marking for a center back. I'll also go for players with good mental and physical stats over technical ones.

As Forfar my regular captain is a central midfielder with no stats of over 10 for any technical ability yet he has been quality. I also have a striker with finishing of 9 who scores crucial goals regularly and keeps a much better looking striker out of the team currently.

If you buy a striker with finishing of 16 but strength of 5 then he'll get slaughtered.

of course not but im saying lower leuage players can pass the ball to each others feet!

i just think if you were to watch a game irl you would see better quality!

of course not but im saying lower leuage players can pass the ball to each others feet!

Not really. Even League 2 isn't that great. It's very physical.

You do see some moments of brilliance.

Like someone said, watch a whole match and you see some better stuff.

<---- Bournemouth Fan :eek:

----> Liam Feeney/Brett Pitman :D

You really need to watch a real game from there. It for the most part is a physical encounter, short passes are accurate but the long passing you see in higher leagues is just hit high and hope for the guy to out muscle the defender. Theres many mistakes and heavy touches where you might see a top player control it and get a good shot in. Its really not that good in real life.

Still my point is valid..if i watch ANY level of football from 5 a side to what ever they are still the best at what they do ie. FC united players i bet they can pass around to each other!

it just seems to be a little poor and a poor representation of lower football..just my opinion!

Lower league footie is better cos they are not in it for the money & play with passion...........but then again i am a Luton fan so thats prob why i think that.

You do see some great football at times. In the Prem, the likes of Bolton, Hull, Wigan etc.... they dont play attractive football so i dont think you can point a finger at certain leagues.

Still my point is valid..if i watch ANY level of football from 5 a side to what ever they are still the best at what they do ie. FC united players i bet they can pass around to each other!

it just seems to be a little poor and a poor representation of lower football..just my opinion!

Seriously, I'll watch Bournemouth play on a Saturday afternoon and often it is not the beautiful game. It is a tough game where strength wins over ability. Ability has it's part but the physical players win out. It's why Bournemouth are so reliant on Supa Fletch up front and the strength of Pearce in defence.

After the game I'll go down the pub and a Premiership match will be on TV. I'll say quite truly that I don't have a lot of time for the Premiership. It just doesn't interest me these days, but the quality of the football is so far above what I have just seen at Dean Court. Even if Stoke are playing.

Then you'll see a bit of the beautiful game at a lower league match and you'll marvel at how these players can turn it on. It's physicality with moments of wonder.

I still don't expect you have seen a whole match played out on FM. I think you are seeing it worse than it is.

Seriously, I'll watch Bournemouth play on a Saturday afternoon and often it is not the beautiful game. It is a tough game where strength wins over ability. Ability has it's part but the physical players win out. It's why Bournemouth are so reliant on Supa Fletch up front and the strength of Pearce in defence.

After the game I'll go down the pub and a Premiership match will be on TV. I'll say quite truly that I don't have a lot of time for the Premiership. It just doesn't interest me these days, but the quality of the football is so far above what I have just seen at Dean Court. Even if Stoke are playing.

Then you'll see a bit of the beautiful game at a lower league match and you'll marvel at how these players can turn it on. It's physicality with moments of wonder.

I still don't expect you have seen a whole match played out on FM. I think you are seeing it worse than it is.

As a Southampton fan, I can back this up totally, it's one of the reasons we were relegated last season. We had all the skill in the world, but a total lack of strength anywhere in the team. Look at us this season, with Dean Hammond and Rickie Lambert, both strong players and one of the reasons we're doing well this season.

As a Southampton fan, I can back this up totally, it's one of the reasons we were relegated last season. We had all the skill in the world, but a total lack of strength anywhere in the team. Look at us this season, with Dean Hammond and Rickie Lambert, both strong players and one of the reasons we're doing well this season.

Yes, it hurts when the Scu...cough cough...the Saints do so well, but they have the right players and they have earnt their success. :p That Lambert has made them a quality team with real threat up front.

It pains me to say that. :eek:

Lambert has been immense, followed by Connelly. Some of the goals they have both scored this season have been amazing finishes. One of Lamberts freekicks from 30-35 yards arrowed in the top corner.

I want all the teams in the South to do well, but I am currently enjoying Portsmouth's season as much as ours :p

<---- Bournemouth Fan :eek:

----> Liam Feeney/Brett Pitman :D

Spot on son. That kids got some talent (I live in Bournemouth and have seen the Cherries play a few times this season - Not since the 4-0 thumping by Rochdale though :o).

But like you've already said, the lower down the league strucure you go, the more the more physical the game becomes and the more reliant on the big players and long balls the game becomes.

Archived