How Does The game recognise swearing?

Well I just was punished by an extremely ****ed up referees decision and unleashed my anger in the press room

I used the Abysmal Decision etc. line and added a new line

After I realised the game realised my cursing? Can someone explain how the game could possibly understand this? It's rather irrelevant but I'm rather eager to know.

Here's how it happened:

Anyone know how the game could do this? I know it's very irrelevant and not important but I'm curious.

There's a list of profanity that have been included by the programmers and once the particular string is matched within the one in the "list", the game responds by saying you've cursed. Obviously if the swear word isn't in the list, it won't pick it up (ie. if you swear in another language, it won't work, if there's an English swear word that isn't included in the "list", it won't work either. Although I would imagine they've managed to include as many curse words as possible.)

Haha, one of the first things I did in FM09 was go to a press conference, and type "Which one's Simon Bird? You're a ****" (only without the stars). I was impressed on how I was labelled as having a foul-mouthed rant! :cool:

Haha, one of the first things I did in FM09 was go to a press conference, and type "Which one's Simon Bird? You're a ****" (only without the stars). I was impressed on how I was labelled as having a foul-mouthed rant! :cool:

Likewise. I actually typed nothing but expletives to see what would happen.

Typical Arsenal manager ;-)

Well apparently Sagna barged the player when he was about 8 yards away from him, even the FA disagreed with that TwatHead refs decision. That means it couldn't of been right.

Hahaha, I love these Moderators on these forums :thup:

Cool, shows how very complex this game is.

Either your really easily impressed or have no grasp of technology :D. Its possibly one of the easiest in-game things, to match swear words to a database containing swear words. I was programming similar things on the Amiga 500 20ish years ago!

Personally I'm more impressed with the irony of the 'Speake speechless' line!

I was impressed by that too :D

Upon taking a job in FM09 I proudly announced that I was here to "chew bubblegum and kick ***...and I'm all out of bubblegum." Unfortunately, the news piece only mentioned that I was "delighted to be here," before "launching into a stream of expletives," which upset my players. Apparently the media/SI programmers don't recognize such a classic movie line!

Upon taking a job in FM09 I proudly announced that I was here to "chew bubblegum and kick ***...and I'm all out of bubblegum." Unfortunately, the news piece only mentioned that I was "delighted to be here," before "launching into a stream of expletives," which upset my players. Apparently the media/SI programmers don't recognize such a classic movie line!

Hahaha, I actually had to go watch 'They Live' after I read this. :p

Ah, brilliant. :)

Well, it would knock your career earnings down and i'd imagine the board "wont be too happy at the negative press you have brought to the club".

Oh screw the board! I'm standing up for my team by complaining about why we lost because of these officials. I'm standing up for Arsenal's rights

In FM09 when I was coaching Real I always commented that Guardiola was a jerk and a zillion curses when asked about our relationship. The first time it said some players didn't like me saying such things in the press, but a few others liked it. I transferred or released those that didn't like it. After that calling Pep an ******* motivated the team.

The default setting for the manager's name is 'First Name Last Name' so on my first go on the demo I just used that. I stormed out of my first press conference just to see what happened and the headline was 'Lousy Last Name!'. Which I thought was very good! :thup:

I think there might be a list of words that work.

After reading this I called one of my players fantastic and he was bouyed or whatever about it. It also said I was in an equivrable or something mood instead of my usual cagey.

Might have been a coincedence.

• 2 weeks later...
When SI decided to add the options for additional comment on FM 2008, it was only for cosmetic purposes! But now, this feature can actually recognize some of the comments! Great work SI!!! :D

I'm fairly sure it's always been able to recognise swearing. Certainly it did in FM2009.

Archived