Chelsea's Finances

Currently Chelsea in second season. Didnt win anything in the first, runner up in all competitions which is fair do's. In my first season the club had a fortune at the start, and a huge transfer kitty, which I spent all of. At the 3/4 stage of the season we were £35m in the red with £2m out a week on wages. S2 beginning I was back up in the black by about £20m through prize money, etc, now nearing xmas and im back to minus £27m. I still have a fairly decent transfer kitty (which obviously adds to the debt if spent), but the board refuse to expand the stadium due to lack of funds.

Anyone else having this with Chelsea, losing money left right and centre? Does Roman ever clear the debt if it gets too bad, and what criteria do you have to meet for the game to put you into administration?

Well if u did spend a huge amount of transfer kitty in the 1st season, Then you need to win something with them in the 1st season. More 'big shot' players have large salaries which will cripple ur finance.(just a basic info):D

The wage thing was alwyas a problem, I was shipping 2m every week on wages, Ive now taken that down to £1.4m per week by selling off Drog, Anelka, Malouda, and Kalou (who were all distinctly average I may add in s1) - It still cripples me though. I suppose other than selling off the whole squad, Ill just have to try and win stuff.

Also, regarding the problem in the OP. Its not uncommon for teams to run at a loss through the season. Its fine as long as the prize money balnaces it out at the end of the season.

My advice is to try and get rid of some higher earners such as Lampard and Ballack. There are players in FM that will do an equally good job for a fraction of the price :)

Edit - Drogba aswell. Getting rid of them 3 and replacing them with cheaper, similar quality players should save you around 150-200k per week in wages.

1.4m is still very much though. Im currently at ~850k pr week with Arsenal and Im turning profits every month. I have a larger staduim though.

Thats interesting. What is the Emirates expanded to?

Im currently managing Newcastle. Slashed the wage bill and got the team back to the premiership. My wages are now 700k a month for a multiple time league winning squad and St James' is expanded to its maximum possible 60,000. Im about breaking even every month now. Ocassionaly i'll lose some, but i'll gain it in other months.

I don't think there is any hope of expanding the stadium, there is definately no space around the stadium to develop into. So you are looking at a new stadium if you want to bring in more money from gate receipts. Though you might be able expand once I haven't tried in FM10.

You definately need to ship out the high earners, or vainly attempt to get them to accept reduced contracts.

to the idiot who suggested selling lampard! whats the point of being chelsea if your going to sell one of your best players

i try in vein to sign lampard in every game i play and he never wants to come to arsenal :( . while your at it sell john terry petr cech ashley cole essien there all earning too much...

p.s i went 50 mil in red before without going into administration

to the idiot who suggested selling lampard! whats the point of being chelsea if your going to sell one of your best players

i try in vein to sign lampard in every game i play and he never wants to come to arsenal :( . while your at it sell john terry petr cech ashley cole essien there all earning too much...

p.s i went 50 mil in red before without going into administration

Hi, i'm the idiot :thup:

Think about it though. If there were players available for a fraction of the cost, wouldn't you sell him?

Whats the point in being Arsenal if there is no Henry, Bergkamp et all.

Whats the point in being Man Utd if there is no Cantona, Keane et all.

Whats the point in being Liverpool if there is no Fowler, Owen et all.

The point of managing a team like that in the game is to be able to take them forward in the longer term. How can you do that if your constantly haemorghing money?

Am i still an idiot? Or am i right in perhaps suggesting that big earners should be moved on in favour of equally good and cheaper replacements?

Absolutely no need for the name calling, and for the record I have sold

Drogba

Anelka

Kalou

Malouda

Cole

Lampard

which I guess makes me an idiot, but surely this is a game and you play it how you wish.

And my replacements

Gignac

Dzeko

Ben Arfa

Rodwell

Just won the champs league so slightly less idiotic than it seems (though still in the red!)

Absolutely no need for the name calling, and for the record I have sold

Drogba

Anelka

Kalou

Malouda

Cole

Lampard

which I guess makes me an idiot, but surely this is a game and you play it how you wish.

And my replacements

Gignac

Dzeko

Ben Arfa

Rodwell

Just won the champs league so slightly less idiotic than it seems (though still in the red!)

As a diehard chelsea fan I really wouldn't mind if we sold those players replaced them with the ones you have and won the CL but for godsakes please don't sell terry or essien :)

Think about it though. If there were players available for a fraction of the cost, wouldn't you sell him?

The point of managing a team like that in the game is to be able to take them forward in the longer term. How can you do that if your constantly haemorghing money?

Am i still an idiot? Or am i right in perhaps suggesting that big earners should be moved on in favour of equally good and cheaper replacements?

YES your still an idiot.

if henry was still in his prime and was at arsenal i wouldnt sell him for a replacement with similar stats... i personally enjoy seeing names i know rather then random bulgarian strikers name

I'm in 2020 with Chelsea on FM09, managed to get the finances over the £100m mark with another 21 years of paying off to do. Losing £1.4m a month is so irritating, but if you get a new stadium and dominate a good bit you should be ok. Can't wait till the debt goes in the new patch as a Chelsea fan myself.

YES your still an idiot.

if henry was still in his prime and was at arsenal i wouldnt sell him for a replacement with similar stats... i personally enjoy seeing names i know rather then random bulgarian strikers name

No need for name calling.....

I'd suggest looking up the difference between Your and You're, pal.

No need for name calling.....

I'd suggest looking up the difference between Your and You're, pal.

id suggest you smd

or is that i'd because i forgot how important grammar is to nerds like you

Hi I'm another idiot :thup:

I say this as if I tkae over Chelsea as manager I'd get rid of Lampard and Ballack as Personally they wouldn't fit into any system that I play.

Also scribs just stop with the insults. they're not needed and you just pull more trouble down on your head.

Signed

The Idiot

Hi I'm another idiot :thup:

I say this as if I tkae over Chelsea as manager I'd get rid of Lampard and Ballack as Personally they wouldn't fit into any system that I play.

Also scribs just stop with the insults. they're not needed and you just pull more trouble down on your head.

Signed

The Idiot

ballack is over the hill i can understand that but lampard is great till at least 35 he can play amc and mc and he doesnt fit into your system?

ballack is over the hill i can understand that but lampard is great till at least 35 he can play amc and mc and he doesnt fit into your system?

I understand, Lampard is an excellent player both IRL and on the game. The only difference is IRL he is irreplacable whereas in the game he is quite easily replacable with a player of similar quaity.

If its a choice of having a recognized name and spending too much on wages, or having an unrecognised name of similar quality that is much cheaper in the game, i know what i would do!

I suppose everyone plays the game differently though, but there is no need to name call just because people do things differently to you.

Its a game and names don't mean anything in a game. I've played as Liverpool and spent $500million on transfers and sold over $2billion worth of players. I would switch players if 1) wage demands go to high, 2) bad signing (rarely happened) or 3) if i could find a similar player for lower wages and smaller transfer fees. I was dominating for around 10 years or so but then it bit me in the butt by then I had produced tons of quality and all the other clubs had them. Still managed to get to 2nd place and semis or finals of champions league but not win them. Would of sold Gerrard but he didn't want to leave. I refused to give Carragher a new contract and first person out the door was Torres for $99million to Man City. End the end of it, I paid off all the debt and got a new stadium named after me. After I quit the game because Sakho kept wanting to go to Valencia on a free and the stupid game doesn't let English clubs sign players from English clubs on a free in Jan but they let foreign clubs do it (might be like that in RL too I don't know).

Anyway Chelsea is only paying so much because they want to hold onto players because of the embargo. Its not worth selling off a ton of players and gambling on younger players which may or may not keep you in the top 4 as the current squad works very well together. And Roman is a sugar daddy in the game and will cover your debts at the end of the season.

And personally in game and in RL I would pull a Wenger. I would simply refuse to pay wages above a certain amount and refuse to sign,resign or keep players over a certain age. I would sell mostly anyone over 30 except a GK. I would only keep old players if they can still play but I would only give them very cheap contracts and even them I might not keep them. It's not worth paying for a name when I can cash out on that name and use the money to win.

Get back on topic or this will be closed

scribs- please cut out the abuse and the language- not necessary

Ah the voice of reason :thup: but anyway back to the topic Roman just cleared all of chelseas debts so they will be fine in patch 1-.3 but in fm they are known for getting in bad places with debts (well on my games anyway) but chelsea have a sugar daddy (underwriter one of the 3 types) which means that they will NEVER go in to administration ;)

I'm not sure they will be fine. They'll be in a much better position then the earlier patches, but they still lose money hand over fist (£44m last year). You'll still need to massively cut the wage bill, but at least the AI won't bankrupt them so often.

I'm not sure they will be fine. They'll be in a much better position then the earlier patches, but they still lose money hand over fist (£44m last year). You'll still need to massively cut the wage bill, but at least the AI won't bankrupt them so often.

Again its probably just going to be like this in RL for a year or two. Once the embargo expires or is removed, they will start offloading and which by the way players like Drogba probably only have a season or two left in addition to this one because of their age. Drogba, Anelka, Ballack, Deco will be gone in a couple of seasons max.

Archived