Could someone clear this up for me?

Okay, so I'm playing in the Champions League group stages and after a recent result, I checked where we were in the group. On first glance, I wasn't surprised that I was top. However, I have encountered what I think may be a slight issue with the group sorting. Or, I am simply misunderstanding a certain rule in the way the groups are sorted.

Firstly, this is how the group looks as of this moment:

grouph.jpg

As you can see, there are three teams (including myself) who have identical records thus far. If points are tied, then the groups are sorted by results against other teams; in other words, the head-to-head record. At least I think that's what it is.

But the problem is, Benfica should top the group. If you look at the results in this group:

results-1.jpg

We lost to Benfica. Therefore, shouldn't they be above us? Or are we top because we beat Panathinaikos and Benfica did not?

This is what I think has happened:

We beat Panathinaikos so we go above them. Panathinaikos beat Benfica, but because Benfica beat us where Panathinaikos didn't that they go above them... but we lost to Benfica. Anyone else see where I am getting confused? What am I missing here? :confused:

Teams on the same points are sorted alphabetically until all games in the group have been played.

Now there's something I didn't actually know. I feel a bit silly now, but nonetheless, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Archived