Is 6th Place In Prem Not Good Enough?

Inter toto doesn't exist anymore. And it all depends on the cup winners too. How did the others get qualified?

What year are you in? Maybe England lost european places.

Btw I remember failing to qualify in 6th place due to nr. 7 winning the Europa Leage.

It was the end of the 2011/2012 season and when the new 12/13 season started, I never heard anything about Europe.

Fiorentina won the EURO Cup

Real Madrid won the Champions League

Premiership Table that year looked like this -

1 Man City

2 Arsenal

3 Chelsea

4 Tottenham

5 Liverpool

6 Stoke (ME)

7 Man Utd

8 Aston Villa

The following season

Man City were straight through to the Champions League Group Stages

Arsenal and Chelsea were in the Champions League First Round Knockout Stage

Tottenham played in the European Champions Cup Best Placed Playoff

Liverpool were in the EURO Cup Qualifiers

So where is the Mighty Stoke Cities rightful place in Europe?

It was the end of the 2011/2012 season and when the new 12/13 season started, I never heard anything about Europe.

Fiorentina won the EURO Cup

Real Madrid won the Champions League

Premiership Table that year looked like this -

1 Man City

2 Arsenal

3 Chelsea

4 Tottenham

5 Liverpool

6 Stoke (ME)

7 Man Utd

8 Aston Villa

The following season

Man City were straight through to the Champions League Group Stages

Arsenal and Chelsea were in the Champions League First Round Knockout Stage

Tottenham played in the European Champions Cup Best Placed Playoff

Liverpool were in the EURO Cup Qualifiers

So where is the Mighty Stoke Cities rightful place in Europe?

Who won the FA and league cups? What is Englands UEFA coefficient?

There you go then. It is an unfortunate truth that only 1 place is guarenteed for a high league finish. Although more often than not a club from the top 4 will win 1 of the cups, if not both.

just out of curiosity if say a championship team won the fa cup would they get to go to the uefa cup?

just in case i'm not clear...

like remember when milwall played manu in the fa cup final? what if milwall won?

thanks

just out of curiosity if say a championship team won the fa cup would they get to go to the uefa cup?

like remember when milwall played manu in the fa cup final? what if milwall won?

thanks

Millwall got the place in europe as a runner up because Man Utd finished in a champions league place. The only time this wouldn't happen is with Cardiff or Swansea as although they play in the English leagues, they are still governed by the Welsh FA.

Edit - Just found some info http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/millwall/3620367.stm

Another recent example are French Ligue 2 side En Avant Guincamp, who won the cup last season and played the first stage of the Europa League ( often labeled as the fourth qualification round ) and lost out to last season's semi finalists Hamburger SV-

thanks

Millwall didn't have to win the cup to get into Europe, as they got into Europe anyway. This was because Man Utd were already in the Champions League the year after, so the UEFA Cup spot went to the runners-up, Millwall.

Millwall didn't have to win the cup to get into Europe, as they got into Europe anyway. This was because Man Utd were already in the Champions League the year after, so the UEFA Cup spot went to the runners-up, Millwall.

Yes, but remember that they changed the rules after that. Now the Europa League spot does NOT go to the losing cup side but to the next team in the league.

Inter toto doesn't exist anymore. And it all depends on the cup winners too. How did the others get qualified?

What year are you in? Maybe England lost european places.

Btw I remember failing to qualify in 6th place due to nr. 7 winning the Europa Leage.

Really, i didn't know that. Did they just get rid of it this year? Cause im sure that's how Aston Villa got into Europe last season, by entering the Inter toto cup way back in the pre-season and then had to go through the qaulifying rounds.

Only for Martin O'neil to then send his youngsters out against CSKA Moscow to rest his 1st team players for the Premier League game against Stoke at the weekend.

Which then left everyone confused as to why Aston Villa entered the Inter Toto cup to get into Europe in the first place.

It's a real shame if they have got rid of the Inter toto cup, cause that gave an extra team a chance to get into Europe.

Yes, but remember that they changed the rules after that. Now the Europa League spot does NOT go to the losing cup side but to the next team in the league.

The rules didn't actually change (even though everyone thought they did) so the FA Cup runner-up will get into the Europa League if the Winner has already qualified for Europe.

If the League Cup winner is already in Europe then that spot goes to the League.

Archived