Is it possible to develop a new rival?

Regarding the OP's question, i've seen it before where you have a team that doesn't start as a rival but ends up becoming one. It's only really mentioned in scout reports though and not in the club information screen. It will say something like "<scout> doesn't believe <team> will want to sell the player due to the rivalry between the two clubs"

Thats the only place i've seen it but i would like it implemented further as i doubt what i said above has any real impact other than that.

Regarding the OP's question, i've seen it before where you have a team that doesn't start as a rival but ends up becoming one. It's only really mentioned in scout reports though and not in the club information screen. It will say something like "<scout> doesn't believe <team> will want to sell the player due to the rivalry between the two clubs"

Thats the only place i've seen it but i would like it implemented further as i doubt what i said above has any real impact other than that.

That generally refers to a team at your level in the same league in my experience.

Should be implemented, sure. But seems to be a very difficult thing to do. How would one become a rival then?

Well there is already recognition of sorts for title rivals. Maybe a sustained period of that would do it. For instance as Metalist I consider Metalurg Zp and Shakhtar rivals as I've been challenging them at the top ever since I arrived, the game may not consider them club rivals but for ages there's been no doubt that they are, especially as Kharkiv are just spending their 2nd 1-year stint in the UPL and Dnipro have done little. Maybe also if you keep facing a club frequently enough in cup competitions as well.

That generally refers to a team at your level in the same league in my experience.

Isn't that how rivalries develop though? Through constantly battling with the same teams? I mean you have the geographical rivalries such as Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough or Villa, Birmingham, West Brom and Wolves. But over time new rivalries develop due to the amount of times teams play each other, Liverpool and Chelsea for example. They would never be such fierce rivals if they hadn't been fighting at the top of the table together or been drawn in the Champions League knock out rounds together so many times.

I think the nearest you can get to rivalry with other clubs is for instance when you constantly slate one teams manager ie; I do not like Ronnie Moore which means when I play against Rotherham there is added spice.

Oi! What's yout problem with King Ronnie?!

I have often wondered whether this was possible, it definitely should be included in future versions.

For instance, on a FM08 save I took Rotherham to the Premiership, where for about 20 seasons us and Man Utd battled it out for all the top trophies, including meeting in 3 Champions League finals.

In real-life this would create a massive rivalry, but unfortunately in FM world, it didn't.

you should also be able to develop new geographical rivalries as well, if you are a small team who rises up the leagues.

An example of this is merthyr who i have played with.

they have newport county as a rival, but if they get to the championship or premiership surely Cardiff and Swansea would be rivals by that stage.

you should also be able to develop new geographical rivalries as well, if you are a small team who rises up the leagues.

An example of this is merthyr who i have played with.

they have newport county as a rival, but if they get to the championship or premiership surely Cardiff and Swansea would be rivals by that stage.

Same with Gateshead. They start with Blyth as their rivals. I got them to the premier league in 09, rubbing shoulders with Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough. Geographically these should now be rivals aswell.

Yeah this should definitely be implemented in a future version. like how Chelsea have developed a rivalry with Barcelona the past couple of years. Likewise Juventus with Real Madrid (isn't that right?). Anyway, it's a good idea that I'd give a :thup: to.

Yeah i would like to see this too. I remember on a older FM, 08 i think.

I was managing Farsley Celtic and for 5 years York City got under my skin. Not just because every time i played them they seemed to hammer me, But..

They beat me in 2 Fa Trophy Finals, 1 play off final and a season later when they were relegated back down to the Confrence,It went down to the wire between me and Cambridge for the title and of course automatic promotion. And guess who i played on the last day of the season.. yes York.

They beat me on the last day of the season heavily to allow Cambridge go above me into first place. And to rub salt into the wound they beat me in the playoff semi finals 6-3 after 2 legs as they finished 5th and i was 2nd.

Which would make anyteam hate them, so i used a real time editor to make York City one of Farsley Celtics most hated teams. :p

I still hate York City now even though it was over 2 years ago and its only a game.

But the memory of them regulary screwing me is still vivd. lol :D

Yeah this is a good idea, and could be "done" when 2 clubs face each other repeatedly over a few years in various competitions, such as Chelsea / Barca for example. In my current Man Utd save I have played Juventus 5/7 years in the CL knockout stages (and incidentally played Celtic in the group stages 4/7 times - the last 4 years).

It could also be done when takeovers / sugar daddy type of events happen - such as Chelsea & Man City as these change the clubs and raise them up in terms of the aims and ambitions of the clubs, but this maybe isn't exactly the rivalry that Derby games and Man U vs Leeds games for example generate.

Yeah this is a good idea, and could be "done" when 2 clubs face each other repeatedly over a few years in various competitions, such as Chelsea / Barca for example. In my current Man Utd save I have played Juventus 5/7 years in the CL knockout stages (and incidentally played Celtic in the group stages 4/7 times - the last 4 years)

Yeah this is the right line imo. If two teams met each other several times and, for instance, there were a couple of 'heated' meetings in a row. Say, if a player from each team was sent off two matches running. That's add some spice to that particular meatball.

The main question is however: which stats are important so that teams get to be rivals? (Cause that's all that computers can use for these things)

And how do rivalries go away (so that you don't have 10+ rivals in a long term game)?

Rivalries don't go away, you can have loads of in game rivals.

• 1 month later...

Archived