How do you stop AI comebacks?!

Im Swansea and lost two in a row by leading 2-0 and losing 2-3 and 2-4.

How on earth do you stop a comeback!?

PLEASE PUT WHAT YOU DO TO STOP COMEBACKs, and hopefully it will help me

Depending on your team, the opposition & the match itself I would look at things like:

Control, counter attack or defend.

Slow the game down, narrow the width, get men behind the ball & keep possession.

Also important is the half-time team talk and this is possibly your main issue.

Contain + Player Even Safer + Retain Possession + Hassle Opponents.

Change to a formation with 5 defenders, Take Mid or Striker with lowest fitness off and replace with the new Central Defender or someone adapt in the position.

This will hopefully contain any attacking threat but obviously as this is FM is not certain to work.

Contain + Player Even Safer + Retain Possession + Hassle Opponents.

Change to a formation with 5 defenders, Take Mid or Striker with lowest fitness off and replace with the new Central Defender or someone adapt in the position.

This will hopefully contain any attacking threat but obviously as this is FM is not certain to work.

Hassle Opponents? In my experience (it may work for you, probably varies depending on other variables) all this does is drag my players out of position, usually leaving huge gaps.

I would hold a lead at HT by doing this:

Strategy to Counter

Touchline Shouts: Retain Pos, Pass to Feet, Stay on Feet, Play Narrower, Work Ball into Box

Then for desperate holding on of a 1-0 lead with a few minutes left I switch to this formation:

GK

DR - DC - DC - DL

DM - DM

MC - MC - MC

ST

And go:

Contain with shouts:

Play Even Safer, Clear to Flanks, Play Narrow, Retain Possession, Stay on Feet

Hassle Opponents? In my experience (it may work for you, probably varies depending on other variables) all this does is drag my players out of position, usually leaving huge gaps.

Strategy to Counter

Touchline Shouts: Retain Pos, Pass to Feet, Stay on Feet, Play Narrower, Work Ball into Box

Then for desperate holding on of a 1-0 lead with a few minutes left I switch to this formation:

GK

DR - DC - DC - DC - DL

DM - DM

MC - MC - MC

ST

And go:

Contain with shouts:

how do you fool the game into letting you put a 12th man on the pitch:eek:

Strategy to Counter

GK

DR - DC - DC - DL

DM - DM

MC - MC - MC

ST

And go:

Contain with shouts:

This is what im looking for guys, something similar to this and what to do in different matches and against different opponents.

This is what im looking for guys, something similar to this and what to do in different matches and against different opponents.

That is the sole reason i download the demo every year. I know full well i'll buy the full game, but the demo gives me a chance to try out some tactics and how the game reacts to them. It was harder this year as the team i support IRL didn't get any money so i had to wait a season to try the transfer system.

I've found that by going on the counter when trying to defend i'm more likely to nick a another goal. Team talks are also very important, get them wrong and it doesn't matter what you do on the pitch.

When leading 2-0 or 3-0 at half time, team talk should be 'none'. Other than that, use counter or defend, with 'retain possession' shout. As you hit 70/75 mins go to defend or contain with shouts: 'retain possession; clear to flanks; drop deeper' and maybe take a striker or attacking mid off, replaced by a CB or DM playing as Anchor Man. Works for me.

When leading 2-0 or 3-0 at half time, team talk should be 'none'. Other than that, use counter or defend, with 'retain possession' shout. As you hit 70/75 mins go to defend or contain with shouts: 'retain possession; clear to flanks; drop deeper' and maybe take a striker or attacking mid off, replaced by a CB or DM playing as Anchor Man. Works for me.

This in particular has caused more problems for me. The rest, I'd say is right though.

saying nothing at ht makes my team lose. 2-0 say try to say please, then critic those players not playing well..below the rating of 7.0.. do not alter the tactics too often during a match,as it can cause confusion to the players..and try to attack more

Really depends on your team and you have to get to know them.

With some "None" is the better teamtalk while with others "Pleased" pushes them on to a better performance.

Its really a case of trial & error and an understanding of the players on the pitch.

Really depends on your team and you have to get to know them.

With some "None" is the better teamtalk while with others "Pleased" pushes them on to a better performance.

Its really a case of trial & error and an understanding of the players on the pitch.

Cougar is, as usual, right.

It depends on style and quality of both teams. If they are a short passing team, use "counter", stand off opponents, play narrow, clear ball to flanks, shoot on sight. If they work best at a fast tempo, use "control", retain possession, work ball into box, take a breather, stay on feet, pass to feet.

On top of that, if they are a better team (eg you are Hull, they are Spurs), switch "counter" for "defensive". If they are far better (Hull and Chelsea), use "contain", and add "play even safer" to that list of shouts.

On the other hand, if they are a weaker side, lean towards using "control" more. Don't change to a more defensive formation, as this will just draw them onto you. Add "hassle opponents", which will take off "take a breather".

I have this problem quite often.

I put it down to the teamtalks more than anything, and find that they have too much of an affect. The players will often come out in the second half and blatantly put in less effort. I have also find that i am more likely to lose if I change to a more defensive strategy. Even if i know the defensive strategy works normally. Sometimes i will start with a defensive strategy and it will work a treat, but if i change to the defensive strategy during the game it will not.

Some say thats using 'None' sometimes losses games, so sometime you say 'disappointed' when leading 2-0, 3-0?

Some say thats using 'None' sometimes losses games, so sometime you say 'disappointed' when leading 2-0, 3-0?

No at 2-0 or 3-0 you should be saying "none" or "pleased" 99% of the time.

Which is better is down to other factors, your team, opponents, how the match has gone etc

I always find a triple substitution of attacking players in about the 70th minutes does wonders for my performances late on in games.

But depends on the fitness of your defence on the 70th game, I tend to do a double substitution around the 70th minutes with one sub either a CB or RB/LB and a MC or ST.

read this thread it helped me alot to hold leads and to keep clean sheets

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=168975

I think alot of holding a lead you first need to look at your original mentality ie(standard,control,attacking,)

Look at the game and see there threat and if you don't have OI on him then do them then If your not up to speed on OI just get the assistant manager to sort them then a ideal situation would not be to change shape as this is the shape they have struggled with so what i do is retain possession and keep the ball. Remember not do go to defensive ie drawing the backline to far back and just pumping balls foward.

The way i have found most successfull is by starting the game on standard then adjusting that as the game flows but i have found if you keep the ball they can not score but if you simply sit back drop deeper then pump the balls out your inviting them on you and they will make chances.

To be honest the use of combination of match shouts and OI are the real way to stop the 1,2,3, goal leads slipping away and a understanding of the ME and situations that it throws at you and experience in dealing with them will help it took me a full season of watching the game on full highlights to truly appreciate the effects of shouts and OI.

Half time teamtalks

These take time to perfect as evey squad is diffrent and these have a big bearing if your leading

Be honest how many of you score goals in the first half then play like crap in the second well it not entirely team talks but it help once again there is no fix it way with this once again experience with your chosen team will help you understand there personality's see what effect it had on them one of my saves i found that if i said nothing to the team at half time no matter what they didn't like it and never played well in the 2nd half. This part of the game is about finding what is best for most of your team and i say most because whilst on my current save i know my team listen and act upon my half-time team talk whilst 1 player (unfortunately my best player) hates the way i talk and want to leave but it is bringing results and 1 man is not more important than my team

But depends on the fitness of your defence on the 70th game, I tend to do a double substitution around the 70th minutes with one sub either a CB or RB/LB and a MC or ST.

Of course, tired players always get priority, but if there is no one really suffering then two new wingers and a new striker seems to do well for me.

Theres way, way too many late goals in the game, with every single team Ive had, I score most in the 76-90 min range and concede the most.

I find going defensive doesnt do anything except stop you from scoring so just carry on attacking, they might score 2 but then so will you. Hardly realistic but then the magic 424 isnt realistic either.

of course going all defensive is not the way think if a team wants to attack you then what is the thing most likely to stop them and it certainly isnt sitting back waiting to be attacked read the attached forum thread and listen to wwfan there the help you were after

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=168975

i hate the die hard FM fans here that dont blame anything but tactics..LOL..the game is bugged and is no way realistic. tactics are not realistic, media is not realistic, goalkeepers defo aint realistic and 1v1 finishing and marking is just shocking. i aint saying it should be easy but in my game its easier to score from 20-25 yards than 1v1s..and im not even lieing. my goalkeeper saves alot of 1v1s but concedes constant 30 yard shots.

dominate teams and get no result, teams always always make comebacks. its so rare when im winning 2 3 nil that i dont concede, because i dominate every match even away to man utd, chelsea etc, but they have few shots and simply score. otherwise id be running away with the title. its like the game trys to control the score and trys to control how much you win to some extent.

ive just stopped playing until a new patch

i hate the die hard FM fans here that dont blame anything but tactics..LOL..the game is bugged and is no way realistic. tactics are not realistic, media is not realistic, goalkeepers defo aint realistic and 1v1 finishing and marking is just shocking. i aint saying it should be easy but in my game its easier to score from 20-25 yards than 1v1s..and im not even lieing. my goalkeeper saves alot of 1v1s but concedes constant 30 yard shots.

dominate teams and get no result, teams always always make comebacks. its so rare when im winning 2 3 nil that i dont concede, because i dominate every match even away to man utd, chelsea etc, but they have few shots and simply score. otherwise id be running away with the title. its like the game trys to control the score and trys to control how much you win to some extent.

ive just stopped playing until a new patch

Or better, make your own game

In real life, very very rarely a team needs to add a third central defender to keep a score. In FM it seems like you need to do it in every single game. Very unrealistic.

Total rubbish.

I never add an extra defender to the four I usually play with (although I would possibly consider switching to four or five if I had started the game with three) and hold a lot of the leads I have.

Total rubbish.

I never add an extra defender to the four I usually play with (although I would possibly consider switching to four or five if I had started the game with three) and hold a lot of the leads I have.

Complete rubbish

This is what 95% of the people suggested. Please read above.

Complete rubbish

This is what 95% of the people suggested. Please read above.

Nothing better to do than troll the forums today? :rolleyes:

Some people suggested an extra defender but not all including myself if you had bothered to read the posts.

I won't bother adding any more as its obvious you have little interest in having a constructive debate!

100% agree with you. But for whatever reason since FM09 I don't really feel any sense of achievement when I actually do win - as I have often got no idea why.

Depends what team you are. If your one of the big 'four' then you are expected to win most games, but if your managing Swansea in my case a win is a big achievement and especially trying to get into the play-offs. If your a side that is expected to get relegated then every point is an achievement.

Archived