How are the European Rankings worked out?

This is something that has confused me on this version of FM.

With Aston Villa, I have won 4 consecutive league titles, 3 consecutive FA cups, 2 consecutive Champions Leagues, In total I have won 5 league titles with Villa, aswell as a Europa League and 2 league cups. For the majority of my 9 season career, I have been in and around the top (not finished outside the top 3 for 7 seasons), and have done very well in the cups, while Arsenal have been largely a Europa league team, yet they have a higher ranking than me? As do Real Madrid, Man Utd and Juventus. Arsenal even got more coefficient points than me last season when I won my first treble and they won the Europa League.

I don't understand this at all, how can a team who has won 2 consecutive CL's as well as numerous other trophies be ranked below teams who have barely done anything?

I would not worry about it. Don't know about FM10, but in previos versions I had won the champions league and the uefo cup winners got many more points than me and this happened quite alot. And I was pretty dominant in the campaign with some big wins. :)

The club European ranking is based solely on the European competitions, so your league and domestic cup titles are not matter. It is a sum from the last 5 years of your team plus 20% of the country European ranking (it causes that every club have at least some points, even if it have not play in European competitions last 5 years).

Here is the excellent site which explains that ranking in details: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/calc.html

It's how it works in real life and I'm sure that in FM it works exactly the same.

In previous versions you could see the coëfficients and the scores from the past 5 years as well, but for some reason they are not displayed in this version anymore. :(

They are still there but as I am at work I can't remember how you find them.

Archived