Reserve Investment Fund??

This is how the game prevents your balance reaching 2billion and hence putting you in £2billion in debt. I think that if you finances do take a turn for the worse and go into debt the board use these funds to help get you out, correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by medo24:

This is how the game prevents your balance reaching 2billion and hence putting you in £2billion in debt. I think that if you finances do take a turn for the worse and go into debt the board use these funds to help get you out, correct me if I'm wrong.

That is quite right!

So it's a bit gay then!

To be sorted by fm2009?

Originally posted by Jamie Sains:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is how the game prevents your balance reaching 2billion and hence putting you in £2billion in debt. I think that if you finances do take a turn for the worse and go into debt the board use these funds to help get you out, correct me if I'm wrong.

So it's a bit gay then!

To be sorted by fm2009? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has been put in there purposefully, to stop your finances reaching the upper limit and becoming negative.

Originally posted by Jamie Sains:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is how the game prevents your balance reaching 2billion and hence putting you in £2billion in debt. I think that if you finances do take a turn for the worse and go into debt the board use these funds to help get you out, correct me if I'm wrong.

So it's a bit gay then!

To be sorted by fm2009? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorted how? It's a limitation of the programming language that prevents a balance above £2.14 billion, not a bug.

It would be great if this was used as a way of improving the numbers of high quality newgen players that you get...That is the way I took it when I saw the image.

However, as a tool to simply stop the bank balance problem it's certainly effective.

It would be great if this was used as a way of improving the numbers of high quality newgen players that you get...That is the way I took it when I saw the image.

However, as a tool to simply stop the bank balance problem it's certainly effective.

I agree about the use of this 'tool'.

My balance is only about £1.2b currnetly so nowhere near the magic amount.

My problem is this:

A LOT of my play in FM is about creating money.

Winning ocmpetitions

Getting commercial affiliates

Upgrading your stadium

Buying wonderkids for peanuts then selling your best players for massiv eamounts only to be proved right when your wonderkid breaks records etc!

BUT!!

All of this seems absolutely pointless if the board are just going to 'swallow' a large portion of your balance because of a bug!

Liverpool guy that has new anfield up to 275,00 seated capacity - pointless.

I've just found a wonderkid that looks like the new Messi. Class. Can pick him up for £6m min fee release. Could then sell my 2nd best AMC for £40m over 24 months. But this would be pointless if the board are just gonna swallow it!

SI - this would be brilliant if there was a REASON for it to be happening such as a SUPER scouting system, an amazing centre of excellence built in most major countries of the world, NEW STADIUM!! etc etc etc.

Just to be swallowed up by the board because of a bug. Immensly annoying!!

It's not a bug, the £2bn limit is put there purposefully, something about data limits which affect the speed of the game. I'm sure someone with knowledge of computer programming will be able to explain it properly for you.

Here it is:

Originally posted by x42bn6:

It's to do with how the numbers are represented in a computer. To cut a long story short, the most-significant bit determines the sign. Using two's-complement (Google/Wikipedia it), it allows for easy arithmetic manipulation for subtraction. Basically, in two's complement, 1001 is -7 rather than 8 and 0111 7. Similar to binary.

I'm guessing that SI wrote Football Manager in C++ and used the standard integer type (or long int, or whatever, they have the same range). The positive upper limit is 2,147,483,647 (does this look similar to the 2.1 billion pounds figure? icon_smile.gif), which is 2^31-1, and the lowest limit is –2,147,483,648, or -2^31.

Just taking a smaller power, let's just say Football Manager had an upper limit of $7. 7 in binary is 0111. Say I got a bit richer, $8, so I add 1 to 0111 and get 1000. As it turns out, 1000 is actually -8 in two's complement, making this a typical overflow problem in programming.

So if I'm right, if you somehow manage to make enough money to be invested (in this thread's case), and that amount exceeds 2.1 billion pounds, then, er, I think you will probably not get your money back. Assuming they used an integer for the investment as well, of course.

There are longer data types out there with a much longer range, such as __int64 which has a range of –9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807, but when you're running a large program, it becomes painfully slow to compute.

I hate this feature. I'm in the year 2039 and my balance has reached 1bn many times and the board keep taking 200m, 300m, 400m into a reserve fund. The whole reason I played this long is to see how big I could make the club but you can reach this upper limit in no time.

Originally posted by Serj:

I hate this feature. I'm in the year 2039 and my balance has reached 1bn many times and the board keep taking 200m, 300m, 400m into a reserve fund. The whole reason I played this long is to see how big I could make the club but you can reach this upper limit in no time.

Look, if your balance reaches £1bn, your club is pretty much big enough. Even from scratch, £300-400 million could buy you a world dominating team instantly.

Read the explanations above for why the feature is necessary.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree about the use of this 'tool'.

SI - this would be brilliant if there was a REASON for it to be happening such as a SUPER scouting system, an amazing centre of excellence built in most major countries of the world, NEW STADIUM!! etc etc etc.

Just to be swallowed up by the board because of a bug. Immensly annoying!!

I agree, I think if you are that successful in the game you should be rewarded, for instance the game increases your regen standard, creates academies in each continent, etc

i understand the problem that the two's complement creates, and why it can't just be "erased" or increased, but the creators could've invented better solutions than effectively erasing the money.

Its not a bug people dont you realise that.

The program cannot come with anything over that number so it inverts it to minus. the board swallowing up spare funds is what happens IRL anyway so quit your jibber jabber

I was wondering if SI were going to address this. I suppose this is better than going into the red for being successful, but seems a little hokey.

And the idea that SI couldn't program a number longer than 2.1 billion is so funny! That isn't how it works. 2.1 billion isn't the limit of computing power or data storage. Its the limit of a certain data type convention (long int, iirc). Convention! Not hard limit by any means. Combining two such numbers to represent the limit of cash would put the upper limit beyond even the US national debt for all time. Of course, using different data conventions would also solve the problem. Do you think astronomers balk at calculating the mass of things because their slide-rule-like computers can't handle more than 12 digits? By using the smallest data convention SI have kept the database (and savegame) a little smaller. Thats all.

On the other hand......... A club in the real world is unlikely to get so wealthy that the profits from the interest on the capital could fund a small nation. Somebody would rightly capitalize on such a club and get rich via your incredible management skills. The money would not just sit in the coffers. So in a way, the solution that it seems SI have made is a little closer to the truth than it used to be. It bugs me though that the reason for this additional realism seems to be to counteract an arbitrary limit of the db architecture.

I guess what really bugs me is that on a long term game I want to be able to look at the wealth of the club as a measure of my success. It allows for an ever increasing record of outstanding financial management. I wonder if as a compromise SI could add this to the manager's profile? "Financial Acumen: Manager John Smith has increased the coffers of his various clubs by 1.3 billion over his 30 year career". Its only a matter of pulling data from the finances of each club, and would be something to substitute for measuring against the current club's current wealth.

There's no need to fix the limit.

What needs to be fixed is the ability to get anywhere near that much money in the first place.

It should never be possible.

tbh, i have to agree with this. its not the fact that you lose money when you get that far, but its far too easy to get that far in the first place. are there any clubs in the world even remotely near getting that rich??? were Liverpool in their glory days?? are man utd now?? the answer- no, theyre both in debt!! are chelski anywhere near it?? no. should not be possible.

Firstly, my question is how did you get that much money?

Secondly, if you have 1bn in the bank, why the hell do you need more? What exactly are you going to do with an extra 100m that you can't do with 1bn?

I ask the first question everytime someone moans about this yet never get an answer, so i'm pretty interested to see how getting that much money is done.

Bank balance of £1.2bn by 2015? A profit every season of £171m?

Exactly. Like I said in my post above, no one EVER replies to the question asking how they got that much money which leads me to beleive that people edit the hell out of the game, then have the nerve to complain that money goes missing.

Exactly. Like I said in my post above, no one EVER replies to the question asking how they got that much money which leads me to beleive that people edit the hell out of the game, then have the nerve to complain that money goes missing.

I reached the £2bn limit with FM06 where there wasn't the reserve investment fund to save me, that took about 55 seasons.

I reached the £2bn limit with FM06 where there wasn't the reserve investment fund to save me, that took about 55 seasons.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to get there but the screenie shown is in 2015, it would be very difficult to get to even 1bn by then.

What did you do after that? Was it with Braintree iirc?

Couldn't you just use a savegame editor (I realise its against the rules of a variety of challenges) to edit your funds lower?

What did you do after that? Was it with Braintree iirc?

Couldn't you just use a savegame editor (I realise its against the rules of a variety of challenges) to edit your funds lower?

Yes, it was with Braintree. Since it was 2060 there wasn't a lot more I could do with the club anyway, it gave me a handy reason to end my game. I retired my manager and the club hired the legendary Danny Roberts as their new manager.

Well I have never reached the magic figure for the club's balance simply because I have never played with a club for more than 7-8 seasons. However I feel that one can always measure the club's financial position not just by your balance but also from the club's value on the richest clubs list.

Yes, it was with Braintree. Since it was 2060 there wasn't a lot more I could do with the club anyway, it gave me a handy reason to end my game. I retired my manager and the club hired the legendary Danny Roberts as their new manager.

Cool. I was a little worried that it would affect a new-long term game I began in 06 just recently. Hopefully it won't kick in for a while then.

I managed to reach 650 mil not cheating with The Arsenal, but I won a lot of prizes and sold a lot of players. My feeder clubs generate about 5-6 mil a month.

Is there a hidden way to earn money I don't know about? I keep hearing people saying their feeder clubs generate 200 mil a year, is that possible without editing?

Please clarify the subject. Cheers!

I managed to reach 650 mil not cheating with The Arsenal, but I won a lot of prizes and sold a lot of players. My feeder clubs generate about 5-6 mil a month.

Is there a hidden way to earn money I don't know about? I keep hearing people saying their feeder clubs generate 200 mil a year, is that possible without editing?

Please clarify the subject. Cheers!

I don't think there is a hidden way to earn money. The only way to do this is by editing.

All of this seems absolutely pointless if the board are just going to 'swallow' a large portion of your balance because of a bug!

No it's realistic. If a club had a balance nearing £1b in real life you can bet your arse the board wouldn't give that money to the manager for transfers. The money would most probably be paid out in dividends to the shareholders and board members, while some of it would be used to improve the clubs infrastructure and that sort of thing.

So this seems pretty realistic to me tbh.

Archived