Shocked :O !!

i think its fair 2 say eventually players from other countries will play for england, so the game is probably being realistic. we also dont really have a top keeper atm

David James isn't bad. Though I agree we have no backup as Foster and Carson look like lost causes. :(

David James isn't bad. Though I agree we have no backup as Foster and Carson look like lost causes. :(

Hart looks to be England's only hope. He is performingly solidly for Birmingham, with a whole bunch of clean sheets to his name.

Surely he will go to the World Cup next year. But will Capello have the guts to play youngster after the pressure of being no.1 destroyed Scott Carson in the qualifying for the Euros.

Isn't there a gentleman's agreement between the home nations that this will never happen? Because the nationality taken by the player is "British", and he would therefore technically be eligible to represent ANY British nation. Or am I wrong in this?

I think you might be wrong.

Even if you are technically right (which I doubt) then I can't see this sort of thing ever happening.

I think you might be wrong.

Even if you are technically right (which I doubt) then I can't see this sort of thing ever happening.

There is a gentleman's agreement between the Home Nations only to take players from their own "nation". Almunia is not "English", so he will not be called up by Capello. Nacho Novo is not "Scottish", so he will not be called up by Levein.

There is a gentleman's agreement between the Home Nations only to take players from their own "nation". Almunia is not "English", so he will not be called up by Capello. Nacho Novo is not "Scottish", so he will not be called up by Levein.

Okay, that makes sense.

Although as I said, it will never happen. The fact that Novo is now British (eligible for Scotland) and they won't touch him with a barge pole proves the case.

EDIT: in fact it doesn't - Novo took citizenship so he could play for Scotland so unless that was a typo, what you said is absurd.

Okay, that makes sense.

Although as I said, it will never happen. The fact that Novo is now British (eligible for Scotland) and they won't touch him with a barge pole proves the case.

EDIT: in fact it doesn't - Novo took citizenship so he could play for Scotland so unless that was a typo, what you said is absurd.

Its not absurd as there is a gentlemans agreemant in place. Why do you think Nacho Nova hasn't already played for Scotland? In all fairness, I do think that if it suited someone breaking it then they would.

Its not absurd as there is a gentlemans agreemant in place. Why do you think Nacho Nova hasn't already played for Scotland? In all fairness, I do think that if it suited someone breaking it then they would.

Maybe because he is utter cack?

have you ever seen the guy play? he can't even get a game for Rangers - what does that tell you?

Even if there is a 'gentlemans agreemant' (sic) in place, it would be broken in a heartbeat if they was anyone worth taking. It's a nonsense.

Scotland could do with Nacho Novo. But it won't happen because of this agreement.

It is related to the fact that there's no such thing as English/Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish "nationality" - if you are born in any of these places, you are a British citizen, of the United Kingdom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7702704.stm

Scotland could do with Nacho Novo. But it won't happen because of this agreement.

It is related to the fact that there's no such thing as English/Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish "nationality" - if you are born in any of these places, you are a British citizen, of the United Kingdom.

Okay, nice call. I accept I was wrong.

Nevertheless, I disagree that they could do with him. He really is a very mediocre player. There are far better Scottish players around than Novo.

Good find :thup:

Feruz Islam plays for Scotlands u17's and he's Somalian by birth. So I think this gentlemans agreement thing is a load of old tosh!

Secondly, to qualify for the England team specifically you have to have played in England for 5 years. Someone is eligible for British citizenship after 5 years residence,(eg 2 years in Scptland and 3 years in England) however they would not be able to play for either country unless they have been there for 5 years.

Feruz Islam plays for Scotlands u17's and he's Somalian by birth. So I think this gentlemans agreement thing is a load of old tosh!

Secondly, to qualify for the England team specifically you have to have played in England for 5 years. Someone is eligible for British citizenship after 5 years residence,(eg 2 years in Scptland and 3 years in England) however they would not be able to play for either country unless they have been there for 5 years.

They can only play for the home nations if they have attended School in the respected country for 5 years or over. Thats why Islam has been considered.

Archived