New Staff Roles

I was just looking at ESPN Soccernet, and I just reading how complex the staff roles are nowadays, see quote below from Sir Alex Ferguson:

It would be impossible to work in the same way I did in 1986," he said in the Daily Mail. "It is a completely different job and I've had to manage that change and change myself.

"It's too big a beast now to be hands-on with everything. Delegating is essential. I've learned at this level you need good people around you. I trust them and rely on them.

"If I didn't, you know what happens? They leave and you are left behind to clear up the mess. There must be about 40 people who report to me now, quite apart from the players.

"I've got five physios, a doctor, an optometrist, a paediatrician, a weight trainer, three fitness coaches, two video analysts, two reserve team coaches, a youth coach, (assistant) Mike Phelan, (first-team coach) Rene Meulensteen, (director of youth football) Jim Ryan and the academy staff.

I wonder from an FM 2011/12/13 point of view, these changes will slowly be implemented iinto the game. For example, I know we have "Get Next Opposition Reports" but I wonder if we will have video anaylists at some point, giving the gamer even more accurate infomation. Yes, we can do it all ourselves when we click on report, but still having even more infomation at our fingertips if awesome.

Even if this, or other aspects, are not implemented in the game, it's incredible how detailed the world of football is, and the scope to improve and upgrade is almost limitless.

"I've got five physios, a doctor, an optometrist, a paediatrician, a weight trainer, three fitness coaches, two video analysts, two reserve team coaches, a youth coach, (assistant) Mike Phelan, (first-team coach) Rene Meulensteen, (director of youth football) Jim Ryan and the academy staff."

What does he need one for? To look after the players' babies?

It might be an interesting thing, indeed.

For instance, integrating Video Training into the training category might result in players being more aware of the danger man and closing him down more rapidly, or mark him more closely.

It can also mean that if you don't delegate, you get eventually known as a hands on-manager. That way they actually do something with that aspect other than letting your assistant handle the press conferences and contracts.

Eventually I would like to see reports like: "Opposition Player X is a striker, but he's fast and player Y you usually play there isn't. It might prove useful to play Z instead of Y there, since he's just as fast and doesn't get outmuscled often."

That's also a load more useful than "They play well against teams playing wide. You should play less wide." ;)

No they don't. Only kids do.

Incorrect. Depends on the country in which they operate, but the upper range can vary between 12-21 years old according to Wikipedia. My brother was going to a childrens hospital to have heart scans until he was 17 before he moved to a specialsed hospital.

Back on topic, the 'Video Analysis' could be brought into FM with a little bit of code. Highlights already exist, going 1 step further could be to show Player X's last 5 goals, or Player X's last 5 assists.

Archived