FM 10.3 / FM 11 Steam Cloud idea

How about implementing an option to use the Steam Cloud for our saved games?

I've bought Torchlight today, and they use the cloud to save your games, so they can be shared between all PCs with steam and torchlight installed. The same thing for FM would be a godsend for those of us with desktops and laptops. We could stick with one save rather than either messing with removable storage, abusing dropbox to imitate the steam cloud or running a "desktop game" and a "laptop game".

you forgot that half of us doesnt like steam... you can always mail your saved game, and you wont need to bother with usb.. just mail it to yourself

Then don't use it. What harm does it do to include something that benefits some users? SI include activation procedures for people who don't like to use Steam and I'm sure it would benefit SI if everyone was able to activate via Steam. That way they could concentrate on making the Steam experience perfect.

It's the same reason they provide the game for Mac users. They could quite easily forget the Mac, and all the problems that crop up with that version, but they don't. They do their best to provide for all.

I've never had so serious a problem with Steam that I've thought about not using it. It would be nice to know why you dislike Steam.

Sounds good.

Don't know what the ratio of people who play on both laptop and desktop to play FM is though, I would imagine this would be the deciding factor on whether SI used it or not in the future. The same reason they haven't got 64 bit support yet, if there is no demand for it there is no point in doing it.

It's the same reason they provide the game for Mac users. They could quite easily forget the Mac, and all the problems that crop up with that version, but they don't. They do their best to provide for all.

I seem to remember an SI employee saying the game is actually developed on a Mac architecture (or kernel or something - can't quite remember), so the Mac version invariably runs better :)

I like the idea, obviously as a Mac user I wouldn't be able to use it for the moment, but it'd certainly be nice to go round a mate's house and show him how I'm getting on, for example.

Once both machines have copies of the save on them though, only the bits that change would have to be uploaded/downloaded. Plus it could auto-compress them first.

As for the steam hater, sure I can just mail it to myself. However it is a steam feature. SI clearly like Steam. So why not take advantage of it for those of us who agree with SI that steam is a decent platform? Its not like adding the steam cloud to steam activated versions of the game will hurt you.

why bother? why not just save it to a usb drive and using that when you load up a saved game between computers ? much easier I would think

How is it easier to use a usb drive rather than just have steam do it all for you?

With the steam cloud, you open the game and your save is there, whatever PC you are using.

Admittedly, I can now see how there are huge size issues...

Archived