Player wants new challenge

Trying to keep hold of Sakho but he wants a new challenge. He's my team captain (Chelsea) and he keeps saying that he feels he's achieved all he can at the club, not to mention Real Madrid and Man City keep talking him up. Really don't want to lose him as he's still young and plays great. It's been like this for about a full season now. How can I handle this? By the way, he doesn't want to enter into contract negotiations right now.

When I have had this issue I tried a lot of things. I always praised the player and always made sure he was playing matches. I would try to ffer a contract every now and then and sometimes he was willing to talk. One other time that I remember, I tried to offer him a contract but he didnt want to talk. I offered a huge contract and he then signed it.

I dont know that there really is a definte way to make him change his mind but these are what I had some luck with. Worse case if he still wont sign a new deal, sell him for big bucks so you at least get something for him

Hope you can work it out

Sell him for massive amount of money, praise him regularly, buy him back in a couple of seasons ;)

...and have a look at Thiago Silva, Alex Silva, Naldo, Federico Fazio, Iván Marcano for alternatives in the meantime. :)

I have him signed for another 2 and a half seasons so I'm good. Real Madrid keep asking and I'll negotiate for around 80-100 million pounds depending on what mood I'm in, needless to say they withdraw their enquiry.

Well, if you have two+ more years of the contract - fine him and send to reserves for half a year.:) He will change his mind.

I have him signed for another 2 and a half seasons so I'm good. Real Madrid keep asking and I'll negotiate for around 80-100 million pounds depending on what mood I'm in, needless to say they withdraw their enquiry.

Annoying when big clubs want your big players but don't want to pay big money for them. Wouldn't be so bad if it worked both ways.

Sell and get Otamendi :)

That's my current defensive partnership (Terry is 35 and SLOW). I just bought a guy names Situ who looks the part but I would prefer to have Sakho and Situ as my central defenders with Otamendi as my first backup but if I have to let Sakho go, Real Madrid better pay the right amount of money.

What's dumb about this is I've won everything under the sun. I've won a lot more titles than Real Madrid both in country and on the continent but Sakho feels he has achieved all he can at the club.....so go to another club who hasn't achieved half of what I've achieved (at least during my tenure)???

This is a game glitch for many years now. Someone wants a new challenge and there is absolutely nothing you, the manager, can do about it. I mean, can it get more unrealistic?

What I usually do, is go and remove the "wants new challenge" with the help of fmrte. You have to do it many times because it comes back. Eventually he will sign again. Don't worry.

This is a game glitch for many years now. Someone wants a new challenge and there is absolutely nothing you, the manager, can do about it. I mean, can it get more unrealistic?

What I usually do, is go and remove the "wants new challenge" with the help of fmrte. You have to do it many times because it comes back. Eventually he will sign again. Don't worry.

Why is it unrealistic? The player is a bit stale and bored where he is so wants to move on. There's no reason why there should be a magic button for the manager to press to make him stay. It's a bit like "EXPECTED TO MOVE ABROAD AT THE END OF THE SEASON" (old people will remember that), except now they will sometimes change their mind and you can't make them stay by fining them.

Try signing his favoured personnel, or asking for his recommendation on a coach or a player.

for those of us that work (d0nt seem to be many lol), after a while in a job we feel its time to move on and do something else. if u have won everything in your time at chelsea he may just want to go abroad and win there. i know its difficult but sadly if a player wants to go then u have to sometimes ease off and let him go.

try and convince him to stay for the rest of the season by prasing him. if hes still not happy then sell in the summer.

It is not unrealistic that an employee gets bored. It is unrealistic that the employer can do nothing about it. Any boss can nonvince an employee to stay, I believe. There are millions of incentives.

So what would you suggest that they implement? What are the millions of incentives?

6 seasons in at Spurs i have Corluka, Sakho, Hutton, Dawson, and Bassong all want a new challenge. Offered out Corluka for 40 mill no one bid. 2 days later i took him off the transfer list and he was happy to stay and signed a new 2 year contract. Tried it with all the others and its not happened again. Just so we are clear my whole back 4 want a new challenge. Would like to keep sakho tho. Real Madrid want them all but they will only get Sakho over my dead body and ill sell him to someone else just to screw them up.

Yeah, it happens a bit too often to be truly realistic, but it's not exactly unrealistic either.

C. Ronaldo left Man United after winning just about everything.

I agree it's realistic but for it to happen to as many players on my team that it has happened to is unrealistic. My only issue now is because it's Sakho, LOL. Everyone else was expendable and Sakho will be as well for the right price.

Everyone else was expendable and Sakho will be as well for the right price.

The problem is getting the right price.

I am playing in the SPL and had a 16 year old AMC come thru my youth system with a PA 186. He is now 23 and has a CA of 182. The AI values him at £15m and if you have played in lower leagues\smaller countries you are aware that players are undervalued by the AI. If he was playing the premiership he would be valued at £25m+.

He wants to move, don't blame him, but I want at least £25 for him. All the big clubs are expressing interest but no-one wants to pay that much.

He is constantly unhappy, wants to move to further his career, but still puts in great performances. He is English and has been awarded about 20 caps.

He is my team captain, gets payed twice as much as any other player, £70,000, which is massive wage for SPL. I have won the last 5 SPL titles, numerous domestic cups and the last 2 CL.

He has only 15 months to go on his contract and I will probably have to sell him for £12 - £15m.

There is one hope though. I have noticed that quite a few players who are unhappy and want to move seem to lose their unhappiness for a few weeks in between transfer windows when no-one is activly chasing them. If this happens to him, he might sign a new contract then.

As I said - fine and send them to the second team.:) Don't go European style - prizing them. Go Russian - kick their ass and show who is the boss.:)

After some time in reserves, watching young and bold substitutes playing instead of them, winning game after game, they will throw out the white flag. Or... just sell them.

I usually do that, especially when Real, Arsenal and other European grands try to buy 80% of my Dinamo Kiev team in the very beginning of the game.

So what would you suggest that they implement? What are the millions of incentives?

Well, it depemds on what rocks this particular player's boat. At the highest level they are like rock stars. Lots of personal and peculiar preferences. But sometimes even simple pleasures can convince them. The player interaction thingy is basicaly very very poor to handle that type of interaction. Thus, he want to leave - you can't do anything.

It is not unrealistic that an employee gets bored. It is unrealistic that the employer can do nothing about it. Any boss can nonvince an employee to stay, I believe. There are millions of incentives.

Human behaviour, especially in those dedicated enough to succeed at the top level of sport, is naturally competitive and people sometimes want (even need) to challenge themselves, to reinvigorate their very existence. I'm afraid that's why you won't get the "Make Him Stay" button you're after, just like rubbish tacticians will never get the "Win Match" button they so longingly crave for.

6 straight league titles, 3 champions league titles, 3 FA Cups, 1 League Cup, 2 World Club Cup, etc. - I think that I've won my fair amount in 6 seasons.

Maybe he wants to win the French league title, or the Italian one?

...or just wants to live somewhere with better weather?

As a Chelsea, two times a season, Cech would declare that he wants a new challenge, but i offer him a new contract instantly (everytime he wants a huge sign on fee and increased wage) - he signs it and shuts up. I've been getting a lot of this lately in patch 10.1, kinda annoys.

The funny thing is that when Kalou wanted a new challenge (aka huge increase in wage) I offered him to other clubs and transfer listed him. Then he wanted to stay, but i sold him anyway ;)

Funny enough, get into the off season (after 7 straight league titles and another Champions League title) and Man City's manager talks him up right when I offer him a new contract (and he's willing to discuss terms). He ended up signing the extension...it only took a year and a half.

Archived