Why do big clubs keep signing 'mediocre' players?

Coop

Players I'm after, who are quite clearly not at the standard of Arsenal and Man Utd, seem to end up there. I'm trying to have a game as manager of Rangers where I'm just signing Scots but get gazumped for players like McArthur and Wallace by the major powers in England.

In a normal game I wouldn't consider these good enough for Rangers nevermind the current European heavyweights. I can sign better foreign players for less.

Am I just unlucky or is this happening in other peoples games?

There's a known issue with big clubs being perhaps too interested in average players since 10.2.

However, such occuring should remain in the game (albeit to a lesser extent) as it's not uncommon for managers, particulary ones who aren't the best at judging players, to sign players not good enough for the club. Look at some of Arsenal's signings before Wenger (and even a few since) or some of the players signed by Ferguson over the years, for example. :p

I will not stand for any Berbatov bashing, he is a quality player :p

This is strange, but teams like Man Utd and Arsenal have massive loan repayments on FM, so are limited on what they can spend. But I always used to find a player, noone interested at all, unknown by anyone but me, I'd make a bid for him, and within no time at all, suddenly every club and his dog is interested in the player and making bids left, right, and center, and outbidding me, and I always lost out on the player.

Anyway :p

They shouldn't be interested in these players, but big clubs have always signed mediocre players on FM, it's not a new phenomenon.

lol its true. iv been playing as spurs since the game was released, iv got the new patch but still playing my initial save.

looking at the man utd team makes me laugh everytime, awful players for a club that size after a few seasons. only man city and chelsea buy the better players but then buy those average ones too.

Archived