Question on Coaching Staff

I was wondering if I was doing this the best way and if coaching staffing goes into anymore depth than what I am currently doing.

When I sign coaches, I try to find someone with a very high stat or two ( at least ) in certain attributes. My idea behind this is that I can find other coaches who have very high stats in other attributes, therefor balancing out and making all areas of coaching the best they can be.

I recently questioned my theory, what if the coach you signed for his attacking attribute decides to coach defence.

I noticed the tick boxes on the right and will look into them shortly, but is there anymore depth to it? Is there a better way to go about signing coaches.

Thanks for your time.

----------

EDIT: Another question, what are the main attributes a assistant manager needs?

I was wondering if I was doing this the best way and if coaching staffing goes into anymore depth than what I am currently doing.

When I sign coaches, I try to find someone with a very high stat or two ( at least ) in certain attributes. My idea behind this is that I can find other coaches who have very high stats in other attributes, therefor balancing out and making all areas of coaching the best they can be.

I recently questioned my theory, what if the coach you signed for his attacking attribute decides to coach defence.

Signing coaches which have high stats is a good thing. But since there are tickboxes, it means you are the one deciding what he is going to teach. Just untick the box you don't want him to be doing, after all there is no reason for a coach to train players if he's not good at it. Granted, you do need to have enough coaches to cover each aspect of training, but if you can do so, please do so.

The most important attributes for an Assistant Manager are, in my personal opinion, Judging Player Ability/Potential, Man Management, Determination, Discipline. Mostly because I let him be in charge of a lot of things outside the first team and he needs to give me detailed info about what happens in- and outside my first team. Therefore, I generally use the Assistant Manager not as a trainer, but more as an overviewer. It does, however, depend on how many coaches you can sign and what your particular training style is.

There is no use in having an Assistant Manager excel in these attributes, only to suck in actual training and you not being able to sign more than 1 coach ;)

I'm managing a big club and so I'm allowed 26 coaches.

This gives me a lot of leeway in my approach to coaches.

To start with, I like to have a "first set" of coaches whose coaching attributes are specific to a single training regime.

1 Strength coach, 1 Aerobic coach, 1 Goalkeeping coach, 1 Tactics coach, 1 Ball Control coach, 1 Attacking coach, 1 Defending coach, 1 Shooting coach and 1 Set Pieces coach.

Each of these coaches will have been selected for his direct attributes for the particular category he'll be coaching, as specified in the FM09 manual, and probably in the onlilne FM10 manual too.

In addition, I choose a "second set" which are almost the same in that I have 1 coach per training category, but with a little more attention paid to the mental side of coaching, i.e. motivation, man management, determination, level of discipline and tactical knowledge in addition to their category-specific coaching attributes.

Finally, I have a set of "non-specific coaches" whose emphasis is purely on the mental side, and instead of making them specific to a category, I leave these coaches coaching everyone.

Obviously this approach isn't possible with lower-league management, but if you're managing in the lower leagues you should already be used to the idea of "making do with the personnel you can get".

Archived